Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a 32 Ford Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcnut223, Dec 11, 2011.

1. demonsix

demonsix

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is a great save! How do you plan to connect all the panels since everything is just floating in mid air? I had a rough '32 Vicky body that I was told needed to have the firewall and rear fenders used as the base points for everything else.

3. tinmann

tinmann

The part about needing firewall and rear fenders is true. But as far as mating all the "floating" parts together, you need to invest in hardware store turnbuckles......... I'll see if I can find a pic........ back in a bit.

4. tinmann

tinmann

[​IMG]

Sure, it's a tudor.... but you get the idea. Even better is to construct a "box" out of tubing/angle iron and place it dead centre in the body. Have the turnbuckles grow outward from it where needed, then measurements can be taken from the box to ensure the body remains the same side for side.

5. b-bob

b-bob

Good advice Tinnmann.

6. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

awesome thread- i am building a 5w from a 4 door front half as well... ill post some pics from my other computer when i get a chance. one caution is that the 4 door door posts are about 2 inches per side farther out than the 5w, so you will need to section the rockers if they are there and pull the door posts inward so you dont have a goofy peak at the back of the door. i found out the hard way:rolleyes:....

best of luck!!!
    Matt

7. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

X77matt- your statement is correct, the 4 door is wider.

Wider specifically at the top. The rockers are not well controlled from the Factory on either the 5 window or 4 doors. the outer rocker panel to frame measurment varies from 3/4 to 1 1/2.

I plan to slice the roof , length wise and cut a pie shaped slice out of the roof.

I fortunately have the original qtr to obtain the correct mesurement. I'll show pic's as we go along.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  8. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I made a pattern for the qtr window out of plywood. the holes will allow me to use small clamps to hold the piecies of the window together.

Attached Files:

9. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I have also made a paper pattern of the outer window reveal. this is probably as critical as the window opening itself.

10. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

The subrails on the Fordor are good only for pattern. Really rusty!

The cross rails are very solid and will be able to use them.

I have ordered a set of brookville subrail cutoff's. They are the left overs from the pickup roadster's.

scotts52 likes this.
  11. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I built a stand to hold the Qtr panel from flopping around in the wind.

With the door posts tacked in place I have something to get some perspective on the project.

I riveted the front of the qtr panel to the door post and overlapped the 4dr roof and qtr and help in place with a vise grip.

Attached Files:

12. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

some of you may have noticed the left qtr panel sitting on the floor. This came witht the rt qtr I purchased.

It's very badly damaged from laying on the ground. It resembles swiss cheese, and is paper thin.

The rear Qtr came out of TX origanally. story goes it was found in a pasture. Owner before me bought it and hauled home to Louisiana. No idea where the door and cowl came from, not part of the qtr orignally.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  13. fitzee

fitzee

Oh Im enjoying this..I will be watch you closely..My sadan is no where as bad as this!!

14. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Ok, on vacation today though I would post some progress.

I have trimmed the rusted pieces from the left qtr window. mocked up the wood pattern. I have also welded in a piece from a fordor sedan roof to replace the rusted upper roof area. I have also cut out the drip rail moulding and replaced this with a section from the sedan as well.

Attached Files:

15. F&J

F&J

I can tell that "this isn't your first pony ride"

Keep those updates coming. :)

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great thread. I have a Model A coupe that is pretty F'd and this is pretty motivational! Subscribed!

17. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I did not have the left upper corner of the qtr window. I made the corner using a bead roller.

Attached Files:

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Kitchen counter for photos or a work area? Great progress, this is one fun project to watch.

19. Wow, that's some nice work!:cool:

20. bluecar

bluecar

Wow...........this is something to watch.

Very cool.

Best,
    BC

21. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

kitchen table for photos, not going to piss off the wife!

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  22. Dyce

Dyce

Looks like you have this all under control!! Nice work!!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

You are making great progress ! Hey Fitzee are you sure yours isnt this bad lol?

24. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Nice work. Making it look easy.

25. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks for the compliments. It's going to get harder connecting the qtr panel to this mess.

26. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I spoke with WI DMV yesterday abouta title. I would like some input, they will title this as a replica. The Title will have a state issued vin and be called a 1932 Ford coupe replica. I guess this is due to the aftermarket frame. It was the only choise as I have no vin number. Thoughts? worried about the value.

27. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I swear no more complaints about my 32 5 window she off the terminal list ! keep welding how much Lincon stock do you own maybe some Miller man you are giving it hell ! awsome this is sure fun !

Attached Files:

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Value? Well you are taking photos and if the finished body looks as good as the repair work it should be equal to another Henry Ford '32. Fiberglass is a replica IMO. :)

29. Xman

Xman

I have a 32 5W drivers door post if interested. Little rust pitted but very usable.
    Let me know if needed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

I would try to pursue a title that does not say replica since it is not. Maybe with some digging you can find a car guy in your states DMV who can guide you along. Good luck. Brian