Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved from the clutches of doom - 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Breezeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rprice76, Mar 13, 2013.

1. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

woah an H code ???
    nice car these cars are starting to really come out !!

2. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Hi there, today I bought my first Mercury.Or better my first Ford product.Normaly I always buy GM or maybe Chryler. But today I bought a 1963 Mercury Monterey I like the Idea of the breezeway. Like you I got the car pretty cheap, but the car needs work .I uesd the live north of Phoenix in New River ,Now I live in BC Canada

3. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Now THAT is a big change - phoenix to BC! Congrats on the Merc!

I finally have some progress. Not a lot - but some. I got to work on the car a bit yesterday. I pulled the Torque converter. Now that its out I can tell its pretty clean on the outside. No sign of oil. Also checked the flywheel both sides are dry. You can see in the pic the sheen of oil just under the intake manifold. I'd say that is confirmation of where the leak was / is.

Went into town - got some new replacement nuts for the converter - got home - and - wrong ones. Someone at Ace "salted" the bin. *sigh*

Got plans for next weekend - so may be a couple of more weeks before I get back to it.

Progress is progress though :D

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      385.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      204.9 KB
      Views:
  4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I don't know if that is better or worse then a rear main. The rear main seal would be fairly easy to do with the trans out. The intake gasket sucks on an FE since you have to pull all the damn pushrods just to get that 90 lb chunk of cast iron off. Thanks for the updates.

Good Luck.

5. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

True about the pushrods... But at least mine was upgraded to a 4v carb and Aluminum Eddlebrock intake....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Is it possibly a Canadian car, with that "94" trim code?

Nice score, for that price. 4TTRUK

7. buick1960

buick1960
    from canada

Where I live in BC is like Flagstaff Arizona. Hot in the summer ,snow in the winter. You said you have a 4v carb and Aluminum Eddlebrock intake. What kind of carb do you have.Origanal Ford?
    Somebody told me ,that some disc breaks form some 1970's Ford will fit the 63 Mercury, does somebody knows from what cars.

8. buick1960

buick1960
    from canada

By the way ,I have a canadain Mercury. I don't know what the difference is.

9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Canadian built had different VIN plates than US manufactured. I pulled the info from

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1963-monterey-vehicle-identification.html

The Galaxie had a 94 trim code:

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1963-galaxie-vehicle-identification.html

But....my seats are not crush Vinyl, they are solid Vinyl.

So....more on that.

I had done research around the web and found a few other cars with the same interior. The other good example was a 4-door with the same interior and was suposedly "Factory original." I don't remember seeing the code.

The one other car I saw that had the same code (interior was changed out however at some point). Both made at the same plant within 2 days of each other (23K and 25K) - St. Louis plant (Z code) and less than 140 cars apart.

http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/63_Mercury_c517.html

That car has had it's interior redone - and while nice - is not 100% factory.

There was another I posted about:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802577&showall=1

I also realize that not all sources are 100% correct. It could be that 94 is a valid code, however my supposition is that mercury code materials ran out at the supplier / maker of the interiors and f Ford materials were used with the Mercury Pattern and these were used at the St. Louis plant.

*shrug*

Its as good a theory as any I guess.....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. buick1960

buick1960
    from canada

So the car is the same. Not like Pontiac's, On my Mercury I have to replace the Rocker and front floor panels ,The PO installt a propane system ,which burned the valve seals.So I have to bring the car back to gasoline. It looks like the car got painted with a garden hose, so the car needs a paint job .Car will be painted white.I need a white car for buisness Interior is still orginal and in good condition. But I need a new carpetDoor panels are still very nice, exept one.I woould like to replace the door stills, but it looks like they do not have aftermarket stills.I neighbor has a second mercury ,He told me I can have the car for free. I hate to take old cars a part ,but this car is not to safe anymore.To much rust,but still many nice parts.Growing up in Germany, I always like this big american cars.Now living in North America I drive them

11. http://www.mercurystuff.com/brake-conversion-60-64.html

12. buick1960

buick1960
    from canada

Thank you for the link

13. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Crazy sent me a PM about a "Color Calculator" for the Mercury line on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-MERCUR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fef916dd&vxp=mtr

It probably wont last too long on there. Code 94 is visible several times on the calculator and is present with an "All Vinyl Option" and a 94 under Monterey Custom.

So - mystery is probably solved - don't believe everything in online sources. The best bet is primary sources.

Going to go work on the Merc today. Will post what I accomplish later. Not getting my hopes up too much - but - somewhat optimistic.

14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

it kills me not to have the money for this item . i would love it for my collection.
    Good luck on the Monterey.

15. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

cool find. Just spotted this thread. I love early 60's fords and mercs.

16. buick1960

buick1960
    from canada

Some Pictures from my Mercury.there is very little rust for an Canadain car.Front Floor Pan pass.side ,heater core must leaked for a long time the rest of the floor has no rust at all,Rocker Panel booth sides and Trunk Floor Extensions - Right & Left . I can't find the Trunk Floor Extensions , I don't no if the once from a Ford will fit

17. buick1960

buick1960
    from canada

18. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

19. BlackCrow

BlackCrow

Read through your thread, looking forward to future progress! Here is a picture of my 63 daily driver. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383971858.013641.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. 63' MERC

63' MERC

Love the car man, so glad I found these pics. I've been tossing up the idea of two tone paint but couldn't really picture it. These helped me out a lot. Is it factory paint scheme ?

21. 63' MERC

63' MERC

How much did you drop it bud ? It looks great !

22. BlackCrow

BlackCrow

I did 2 inches front and rear, and then with the lake pipes on the side makes it look a little lower. I'm playing with paint ideas in my head also, I'll be doing lace on the roof for sure though.

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

no it did not come with a passenger side mirror.

24. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

No update as of yet folks - life is preventing me from getting back to the Merc. Hopefully after T-Day I will have a chance to get the transmission back in.

25. okseabee70

okseabee70
    from oklahoma

i have a 1963 2dr im restoring it looks like the one in the thread but it in way worse shape anyone no where i can get some parts for it

26. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

It depends on what parts you need? A lot of the Ford / Mercury parts are interchangeable. If you're talking body parts - I'm not too much up to speed on that.

FYI - the project is stalled. I'm in the middle of a house renovation and a move. Hopefully that will be over by the end of March and I'll have an update after that - hopefully!

27. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

okseabee70 , there is a guy on here "BigM" search for him. he owns a vintage salvage yard and has some parts for these cars. Ive bought a few things from him for my 63 2 door. I also live near DVAP and they have a few of these cars but only 2 of them are 2 door. They just chopped the floor out of one, go online and check out. What all are you looking for ?

28. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Crazy - any update on yours? I got stuck in the middle of a house reno and a move. No car work until both are complete. Not only for the Merc but ALL of my "fun" projects.

29. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

haha Rprice76 im in almost the same boat as you. With the hunny do list longer than both our Mercurys combined and ontop of that the side work im getting.
    All i can do right now is buy the parts i want for my Merc. I even have a power window set up.... kinda i have to see if i got sold the correct one that fits a 2 door but if so. Then all i need now for accessories is swing away steering system and O.E.M speed control (cruise control ). So im sure this summer ill be working on the Merc again.

30. I would just like to say, I hate you so much right now it hurts! Congrats on an amazing score! I want one of the breezeways so bad it aches.
    Hope she sees many miles with an owner that appreciates her!