Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved from the clutches of doom - 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Breezeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rprice76, Mar 13, 2013.

1. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i really wish you lived right by me we could work on each others cars , i would definetely help you with the body work. that trunk is repairable for sure.

2. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

yes they had passenger side too .

3. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

look who else has a problem finding a color code and its also not in the fairlane, .....

Attached Files:

4. rld14

rld14

DSO 45 is Davenport, Iowa... So that's originally an Iowa or Illinois car.

5. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Cool - will call this afternoon.

6. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Yah, its just sad that something that is going to require so much work was caused by a minute or two of (probably) beer induced stupidity.

The passenger side rockers are pretty sad on mine. I think they are repairable - they aren't rusted - just badly damaged from contact with a guard raile (I guess).

There really is something neat about these cars. I've had a mid 60's Chevy, and earlier 50's cars and trucks - but this early-mid 60's car with the big engine - plus the cool window is just neat.

7. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

8. chstitans42

chstitans42

Careful, if you get too many projects, others get pushed to the side. Ask me how I know! But you are right, you just cannot say no to amazing deals when they come up, no matter what the wife's reaction is!

9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Hey Crazy!

Dunno if that trunk lid would fit or not - not familiar with the Montclair. Dash looks the same. Lower trim isn't though. Engine and trans should be the same.

10. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

chstitans42 trust me my wife reaction does stop me lol. my neighbor has a pinto he was trying to sell me , i told him i want to continue to be his friend not Daisy furtilizer.
    rprice76 if the trunk ends up working for you its all yours, assuming i get this car

11. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Sweet! That would be awesome!

12. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

This is really a beautiful car!!! I love that you got such a good deal on it to! I think the most I've ever paid for an old car was 200 bucks... And the nicer ones were free! All my friends hate me for it, but I think that makes it all the more satisfying. Now, how much money goes into them after initial purchase, that's a whole different story:rolleyes:

I love the story on it too, it sounds like quite the adventure! Cars like this were meant to be. I don't know about you, but i believe a car is ready to cruise off into the sunset when it is ready. If its not ready, it finds someone to love and take care of it.

I'm subscribed, and look forward to seeing the progress! Good luck man!

13. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Thanks Fory - yes was quite the adventure. I don't know what was stranger - the overwhelming odor of Pot, the lack of thinking on the part of the PO, or the circus to get the non-running POS out of the driveway so the tow truck driver could get the Merc out.

Sometimes cars do just fall in your lap like this - and those are the ones you do not ignore. I seem to have great luck in getting them. I also agree - the ones you do get great smoking deals on sometimes need the most work :rolleyes:

Even getting it going is quite the adventure. If you've never delved into a COM I sugest you read my thread first. The tear down was easy - the cleaning was horrendous - and the next part - assembly is quite the adventure.

The only GOOD material I am working off of is at least 50 years old. Most of it very descriptive in writing - but lacking in pictures. This thing has a million parts that all go "one way only" I spent a good three hours last night just figuring out which way it went back together. All the pictures I took were helpful - but - there is always one picture you forget to take that is crucial.

The more I've read up on the COM the more impressed I am with it. Neat design - and I bet the FMX was the next step in the evolutionary change.

14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Guys like that don't usually last too long on the street. Especially if he buys a crotch rocket! Cool car, wish I had more $$ to pick up cars like that. Got the room, no $$.

15. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I'll trade ya! I have moderate cash but no room! A carport is just not enough.

16. dq78133

dq78133
    from Texas

Holy crap!!!! I just picked up a 63 Monterey 4 door last week. I had never seen one until mine. Too trippy!

17. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Great save,looking forward to more progress on her!

18. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Woooo! Pics? Thread!?

19. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Thanks!

Will do as I get to it. We're full on summer here in AZ. Sierra Vista - the COOL part of the state is about 102 today. Should cool off next week a little. We have cooler weather than Phoenix - but 102 is still flipping hot. No garage sucks!:rolleyes:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow, and I was grumbling about mid 80s today. Now I feel bad...okay, no I don't. lol

21. Love it! Wish I had the 390 when I was building my father-in-law's 64 Galaxie Custom.

22. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

dont worry rpride even in my garage the past week its been 104 , i dont have a swamp cooler or anything other than a fan and my car is outside . i feel your pain in the heat department

23. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I was doing well - on a roll - then a few weeks ago work got busy - and then it got hot. Ah well - only another three or four weeks left and the monsoons will be here.

24. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

yea its been crazy at work for me too, in at 6am out at 6pm , ontop of redoing our guest bathroom and kids birthday partys.. i have to sneak out 15 minuetes at a time to work on my car lol.

25. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

If you take a look in my transmission rebuild posting - I have made progress. Cleaned out the valve body last weekend as well as the pressure regulator. I'm now at a point where its just "bolt everything back up."

I'm not delving into rebuilding every aspect of the transmission - just the parts that need it. The seals around the shifter were fine. I will replace the front and rear seals. Then its on to bolting together. Also have to pull the torque converter and flush it if possible.

Next after it's in will be the break in period for the transmission which means I have to fix the points issue. Replacing the Petronix with points and condenser should do it. Also need to pull the intake, and carb and re-seal the intake manifold to do away with the oil leak.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Why are you replacing your Pertronix? I have heard a lot of good about them, and not much bad.

27. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Mine failed. They work good - when they work. If they fail - they don't "partially" fail - they fail catastrophically.

First you have to have a GOOD electrical system. My car was HACKED by the PO. It also seems to have a charging issue - so the system wasn't getting it's full ammount of juice.

Second - due to a battery issue - we were jumping it to get it going. The PO had as well. You should NOT jump a petronix system as it can cause damage to the module (from what I have been told).

After running the car for a few minutes trying to diagnose the transmission - it died. It would pop and backfire upon trying to start. Fuel was good - etc. Just put in new plugs and wires - couldn't be that. When I took the cap off I saw the petronix and knew it had failed. I'd seen this before.

28. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Sorry for the double post here:

Blocked out time in my schedule to get the transmission DONE on Saturday. Friend is coming over with some extra tools to get the bell housing and torque converter off. Then may have time to pull the intake and look at replacing gaskets. Going to go with new u-joints as well.

29. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

See my post on the rebuild for how it went. One word to describe yesterday.

"DONE."

Now to get it in....

Attached Files:

• 1-6.jpg
      1-6.jpg
      File size:
      265.5 KB
      Views:
  30. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

that poor table is probably crying in pain and i bet them legs are shaking in stress hahahaha . dont look away from that tranny i might run by and snag it up !

GREAT JOB IM EXCITED FOR YOUR BREEZEWAY!!