Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved a few parts off a 39 Chevy today from the crusher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950-mercury, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

I was leaving the local U Pull It earlier today, when down the road a guy was hauling a 39 chevy, just 100 feet from the scale at the recycler, so I flagged him down and asked if I could look at it. He said sure. Then I asked if I could get a few parts off of it, and he said yes. He said I had about an hour, because the recycler closed then. So I grabbed my tools, snd started getting off what ever I could, but everything was of course fighting me. I ended up getting the rear truck emblem, headlights, and a few other odds and ins. I found a fender skirt in the truck as well, but I'm not sure what it fits. I wish I had my trailer, but it was 1/2 hour away. I would have loved to of just saved the whole car. The guy was super nice, and we exchanged contact info, because he said where he lived their were lots of old cars, and would send pictures, and call me before he hauled any other old stuff off. He was just going to give me the parts, but I gave him some money anyways. Here's a few pictures. She looks bad, because she sat on her side for a long time, but still had lots of good parts. I hated seeing her go across the scale.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice save! My pop had one of those 39s when I was iddy biddy!!! :D

3. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Thanks, I wish I would have had more time to get parts.

4. Good job saving what you could. The trunk lid and pass front fender look like they could've been brought back with some sweat equity but the saying "you can't save em' all" is definately true.

5. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

T
    Thanks, I was wrenching like a mad man. The last thing I pull, I skinned the hell out of my finger, and was sweating like hell from hurrying.

6. pinman 39

pinman 39

RIP 39 Chevy sedan .

7. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Good eye Mike, Most guys your age would be looking at their lap, finger diddling their phone, and the '39 would have been in the jaws of the crusher, them being non-the-wiser.

Your signature line says it all. You got the passion for the old iron. That one would definitley be a bodyman's nightmare to bring it back, but good on you getting to pull some parts.

Bill

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it! Jeff Spicoli

9. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Thanks Bill!!!