Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Save the Salt article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WZ JUNK, Jun 9, 2016.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

A great effort is underway to repair the damage to Bonneville Salt Flats. Mismanagement by a mining company and our government have led to the present poor condition for racing. Here is a link to a well written article explaining the present situation.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3973645-155/op-ed-action-not-more-study-is

Please help support this effort to repair and preserve our hot rod heritage.

John

2. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Good read brother. Thank you for the link.

3. oj

oj

Another study? thats what the government does when the most recent one is disagreeable. I wonder why government never commissions a study of itself.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. ..........First, they could never be objective,oj, and second, they wouldn't like what they found out if the study actually was objective.:D

crminal, olcurmdgeon and oj like this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

SCTA is getting ready for it's pre race inspection of the Salt Flats in preparation of this years SpeedWeek.
    I have heard conditions are good for an event this year.

6. Yes the editorial is a good description of the problem identified as gov't incompetence. Hopefully the salt is good for racing this year, after past 2 years of cancellations.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. From what I understand, as of earlier this week, the BLM has not issued any permits allowing any racing on the bsf.

Mick

9. A Boner

A Boner

I guess the BLM doesn't realize that over the last few years that racers have spent billions of dollars getting their cars ready to race there!

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ease up on the Gov't here., they read everything. Let the SCTA and the other organizations that are helping do what they need to to get us back up there. The Gov't could care less how much any of us spend on our race vehicles and certain factions there want all forms to stop....

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've often wondered why the salt plains in Oklahoma isn't used?

12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This question has been asked before. I do not remember the answer but I do remember that there is a reason that this area is not suitable. There are a lot of factors that make Bonneville a one of a kind place. Racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats is a unique experience. Setting land speed records seems like a simple idea but in reality it is very complex. The rules that govern the attempts and the conditions make it more demanding than you can imagine. But overcoming these obstacles make success more rewarding.

All Hot Rodding, began on the dry lakes. It is important to preserve our heritage.

John

13. Good piece by Landspeed Louise

14. aircap

aircap

Multiple reason why here:
    (1) The salt is only about .100" deep
    (2) It's a tourist area and people are always digging up the selenium crystals that grow in the sand
    (3) It's not a big area at all compared to Bonneville, and is right next to a lake - no safety at all
    I've been there - it's NOTHING like Bonneville, and totally unsuited for motorsports of any kind

15. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I hope there will be some positive action soon to actually save the salt. we need to go racing!.