Register now to get rid of these ads!

Save the Drive In!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I am lucky enough to have one 15 miles from my house in another small town Gibson City. Its called harvest moon drive in. http://www.harvestmoondrivein.com/
    They are celebrating 59 years of business. Pretty damn cool..

2. I sure had my share of good times at the drive in but sadly we don't have any left here. HRP

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

Where is "here"? Electric City is Scranton PA?

http://www.circledrivein.com/

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Growing up we went almost every weekend to the local drive in.When I was older I even worked as a projectionist there.Great times were had by all.
    It was the Vero Drive In,in Vero Beach,Fl.The carbon arc lamps pulled about 250 amps DC from an on site generator.Talk about a couple of heat producers.WHEW.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the drive in. We have one about 3 mins from my house. Taking the kids there on Thursday night. Cant wait. So much fun!:D

6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I just seen this on Facebook my self and "SHARED" it. I didn't see the Starlite Drive Inn in Litchfiled MN on the list. http://www.starlitemovies.com/ I go buy it every time we go to the drag strip. A few years ago during Back To The 50's I missed my last opportunity to go to the last showing at the Cottage View drive Inn in Cottage Grove MN before WAL MART bought the property. Bastards!!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

In high school in the late 50's the drive in's were called the ' Passion Pit ' great for date nite

All gone around here in the L.A. area yrs ago, land is worth too much cash for the big box builder guys

Great memories, G Don

8. grander

grander

A new drive in theater near Houston is the Showboat Drive In on FM 2920 in Hockley.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Grew up and lived in Upstate N.Y. for the first 49 years of my life. There were 2 drive-ins within a 10 mile radius (one being a twin, which is still operating). Many memories growing up, both with my folks and with numerous girlfriends in high school and after. Later in life, actually bought a house whose property backed up to "The Dix Drive-In. The neighborhood people were allowed to bring lawn chairs in and sit by the speakers, as long as you didn't try to sit to close to the front. The last movie I remember seeing was " The Road Warrior" and I sure do miss going. Thanks for this post on this icon of Americana. Long live the drive-in!!

10. That's the one I sent a donation to for it to go digital, shame I don't live close enough to go.

11. Veronyn

Veronyn
    from kansas

We have one down the road a bit and I'd much rather go see a movie there than the theater. Here, you can only go as a double feature, but it's still a reasonable price. Plus you get your own little space and don't have to deal with people who want to chat and cackle throughout the entire movie.

12. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

99W Drive-in in Newberg Oregon, about 15 miles/minutes from here - I believe this has been in operation since the mid 50's. It's a blast, and we take our kids here - it would be a shame to lose any more of these than we already have..... Hate to say it, but way to go Honda. :)

https://www.newbergoregon.gov/newberg/99w-drive-theatre

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Shagginwagon64

Shagginwagon64
    from Wichita ks

We are pretty lucky to have a top notch drive in here in wichita ks. I think it's still alive in part , due to the fact that it has THE most unforgettable commercial song! Once u hear it , it's stuck for hours. "The starlight drive in gives you more! Call 524 2424!!" Sing it! I dare you!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Milwaukee Wi area had several Drive In's around the town, north, south and west in the 60's- 80's . We refered to them as "passion Pits" great for dating and fun times , $ 1.00 per car, load as many as you could fit. Many good memories from those days, 60's. I believe they're all gone now, None of them were saved. Kids today don't have alot of the fun deals that we had when we were young. Different times, Different generation, Progress? I guess. John

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

Last I knew, there was one still at Billings or Aurora Mo. They are a lot of fun.

17. Hey Shaggin', saw your wagon at the Leadsled Spectacular. Cool car.

Our club used to have at least two "Night at the Drive-In" activities every summer. We would all hit the drive-in on Sunday night of the 3 day Memorial Day holiday as well as for Labor Day. If Independence Day fell on a weekend, we would go then too. But, after the Cinderella Twin closed at the end of summer in 2007, we quit going. We still have the Rosemary Drive-In, but we don't get out there very often. I think I'll talk to the guys and see if they want to do it again this upcoming Labor Day weekend.

In August or September 2001, the late Chuck Nations got on the phone and started calling other KKOA members and suggested that everyone should gather in Fort Collins at the Holiday Twin Drive-In for a movie night. Word got around and plans were made. Our gang went up from Denver, and a handful of Lonely Knights came up all the way from Colorado Springs! If I recall correctly, Roger and Dan Jetter were also there, as well as Chuck Nations' group from Wyoming, and Colorado KKOA colonel Frank Lund. There was also a sprinkling of lone wolf people that heard about it and showed up too. I'd guess there were close to thirty cars in all--mostly kustoms. The locals loved it! All the old cars that came out to go to the drive-in. It was late when we headed home, but it was worth it. We had a ball!
    It is unfortunate that Chuck Nations is gone now. He was a neat guy that really loved kustoms and always had cool ideas to get people together. He is missed!

Viva la Drive-In! E

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

We have the Boulevard Drive In here on the Kansas side.It was the first Drive In theatre in the U.S.to go digital.Wes Neal,the owner,has worked there since it opened in '54 as a second job and after he retired from Bayer Animal Science,he bought it from the original owner.He has revitalized it and keeps it busy with events that are usually vintage auto related.The other two theaters here in KC sound like they'll be going out of business by the end of the yeart,but that's just bad management.

Attached Files:

19. Not clear to me why drive-ins don't work as a modern business? No speakers needed with small FM Transmitter. Less upkeep than a theater. Sad.

20. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

At drive in now!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

21. chopdtop

chopdtop

My local drive-in is on the list. Mesa Drive-In in Pueblo Colorado.
    They've had several American Graffiti nights there and the manager is a car guy. Candy Clark was at one of them.

Attached Files:

22. I'm lucky enough to have a triple screen drive-in in my suburb, plus another 2 multi-screen drive-ins on the other side of Melbourne.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looks like there is one in Greenville SC? About an hour drive South from Anderson? That's how far we drive to get to one.

http://www.25drivein.com/

[​IMG]

25. KCsledz

KCsledz

Whats funny is the Route 66 Drive in is not even on the list the Honda page has up to vote for. I went to vote and nothing! I didn't see a way to even submit it to be added.

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

Maybe the list doesn't include drive-ins that have already switched to digital?

27. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

I drive 50 miles one way to attend the Fairview Drive-in in Newton IL. They have all kinds of things going on this year trying to raise the money needed for digital equipment. I'll be going tonight to help support the drive-in by buying a tee shirt, taking part in a 50/50 raffle, and donating. I feel this is a very worthy cause. We should all do what we can to preserve this piece of Americana so it will be there for future generations to enjoy. (We now return you to your scheduled programming).

28. KCsledz

KCsledz

You may be right. I don't actually know what they run. Next time I am out there for a movie I am going to ask.

29. truckjim

truckjim

We have a multi-screen here in San Jose Ca and get together with friends and their old rides. Great night for friends and family.