Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Save or scrap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Apr 30, 2020.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Doing spring cleaning and found a flathead Ford bell housing adapter for a big clutch assembly. It's from a 52 F7(?) that we are making into a roll back for shop use. I've had several flat heads and never a need for something like this so figure it's probably trot line material.

IMG_5051.JPG

2. kb cookout

kb cookout

Keep the 2 bell housings for a T-5 conv, and the shifter and hand brake, scrap the rest

later kb

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Yep save the bell housings and if you have the starter plate save it too, they are getting hard to find,

4. You have "trot lines" in Texas? I thought that was a Chesapeake bay thing!

5. that's a mini bell if its from a 46 truck. handy chunk of metal. can be used to adapt all kinds of transmissions bell housing starter ect 003.JPG bell housing starter ect 004.JPG bell housing starter ect 007.JPG

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1/2 bell if it has the starter plate is worth 80 - 100 bucks and the hogshead another 100 bucks or so based on what I've seen them go for and what I've gotten for similar ones that I've sold in the past. The 1/2 bell by itself for someone who wants to put a '39 toploader trans behind an 8ba. The hogshead by itself to adapt a T-5 to a 59 series or with the 1/2 bell for use on an 8ba. Definitely worth more than scrap.

Texas Webb likes this.
  7. How else are you going to catch Gar in the river to make Gar Fish patties and burgers? :cool:

belair and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Transmission is scrap metal but I'd at least save the adapter bell. The cast iron truck ones aren't quite as desirable as the stamped steel Mercury ones but still someone will want that if you don't.

I went through an insane amount of effort to save one of those, along with the too-big flywheel and a cleanout oil pan from an F5 truck in a junkyard, the clutch disc was froze so solidly in place I had to smash the cast iron transmission case into shards to access the flywheel bolts, got it separated from the engine and then had to crush the clutch plate into a tulip shape to get the bell off of the trans. Was a shitload of work for something I didn't even really need, just wanted to save it. No way would I throw away the one you have there, it's already ready to come off!

stillrunners likes this.
  9. Thinking about driving over, Evan.

Ben

stillrunners likes this.