Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save it, Flip it, or Customize it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Save it, Flip it, or Customize it?

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    GordonC and Sancho like this.
  2. That would make an awesome early kustom with a Carson top......

curbspeed likes this.
  3. Matt rules !!! Love this guy. From attics full of hubcaps and valve covers to 1937 Hudson X members for grabs .... this guy rules. Channels, posts, tutorials, and classifieds .... he's a one man HAMB circus and hot rod pony show. God bless him.

Hey @IronTrap .... what's on today's agenda ??

4. early tail dragger

5. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

Flat black with flames, billet wheels, air bags and an LS!

Or maybe just pass it along to someone who knows its value.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Really cool find. As much as I love early Customs, I'd say with it's rarity and heritage it's better off restored. Hell, it was 15 years old when parked. Looks super solid and 99% complete. Original paint, straight grille and trim. Steering wheel not even cracked. I'd get it running (even w/o a trans, and unload it.

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My opinion is that it's rare and should be restored. However.....if it was mine it would probably go to the highest bidder. This car would not be an inexpensive build, either stock or custom.

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

I rarely say this.... restore it.

Rich

9. I would imagine the car wouldn't be cheap so I would have to pass but for the right guy it would make a beautiful custom or a great car to restore. HRP

10. This car needs to be restored.

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  11. junkman8888

junkman8888

You live in California. It's a convertible. If you're married, your wife is going to make this decision for you.

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

First thought would be to "allow" a restorer to restore it only due to rareity. Second thought would be to "customize" it to resemble the factory artwork as closely as possible; which usually was a small chop, leaned-back grill, lowering, & some other trick-type details. Seriously, look at the illustration provided. Restorers would freak, but then hold up the factory brochure & ask "Which one looks like the factory illus? :D" . Third thought would be to check finances & credit to achieve 2nd thought. Fourth thought would be to contact Jay Leno(would be treated/done right), or possibly a couple of hi-$$ museums, if I can't afford it. Man, I do love convert sedans...
    Marcus...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm going with the guys that say that car deserves to be restored. That's too nice of a find, too rare.; and frankly, the lines aren't right for a custom IMO. I'd flip it to a restorer.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  14. 2935ford

2935ford

Restore it externally, modernize it mechanically (engine trans brakes etc.) to have a great go anywhere cruiser.

15. silverdome

silverdome

If I had the money I would restore it if not I would want to sell it to someone that would restore it. The rarity of this car tells me these are the best choices but there's always the rodder in you that envisions an evil custom with lots of class.

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Couple of extra doors, flip

Blues4U likes this.
  17. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

In the realm of keeping it, assuming you could afford to, restore the body, trim, and interior to factory.

After that, lower it a bit all around and hop up the engine, port, polish, cam, etc...

Essentially nothing that couldn't be put back to stock and keep all the engine mods internal and/or bolt on.

longhorizon likes this.
  18. Slopok

Slopok

Call Mike & Frank from Pickers, they sometimes spend stupid money for cars!

19. F&J

F&J

A month or so ago, a client from NJ was trying to buy that same car, and sent a pic to me. He wanted to see if I could fix the brakes and getting it to run better. He didn't end up with it, I suppose it was on Ebay or C/L.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first thing I would do is wash it and see if the paint could shine up. it would be cool just to see if you could get it running and leave all the restoration $$$$$ for the next guy

osage orange and F&J like this.
  21. BJR

BJR

I am on the restore side of this also. It's just too rare to change or customize.

22. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

It was for sale at Hershey. Hope it finds a good home. IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2321.JPG

23. I see he decided to flip it. I would too. I like hot rods, not restored cars.

24. chiro

chiro

I saw it at Hershey too. Struck me as odd that Chrysler would make such an over the top car in '36. It had quite a presence to it.
    Andy

25. Restore it. Sorry, but with the bulky rear and four doors I can't imagine how a nice custom could be made out of it.
    Interesting car - yes
    Very elegant design - no

26. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

How many still exist? and whats it worth? then it would determine if you would Customize , Restomod, or restore , put a HEMI in it, Disc Brakes, matching OD automatic with rear differential and A/C and DTPOI

27. IronTrap

IronTrap

Not sure how I missed this thread! Thanks for sharing the car and the video guys! I am surprised how many negative/angry comments I got on the video. Apparently a young guy saving an old car is a bad thing?! Haha.

The car was a private deal and not on CL or Ebay. I was the first one in the door to look at about 10 cars in the estate through a family friend and I had a handshake deal on 4 of the cars with the son and in between then a family dispute arose and they sold the 40 Ford and some other stuff off without even checking back in with me which sorta irked me... but it's how this stuff goes sometimes. It was a messed up situation but it still was neat to get to pull it out and document the process. As others mentioned this car was too rare and special for me to customize or keep. I need to stay focused on getting my current projects done!

A new owner from North Carolina bought it. A couple of older guys into this mid-30's stuff grabbed it and planned to restore. I hope to see it someday at the show Saturday at Hershey.

Thanks to everyone that watched the video and took the time to comment here or there. Finding old forgotten cars is what I know a lot of us live and breath for!

-Matt/ITG

Blues4U, BigDogSS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Great save! Thanks for making the video.
    But I was cringing by the way the car was being dragged out and lifted with the chain by the back bumper. I was fearing the bumper was going to give way. BTW, Harbor Freight sale decent winches for under $300 when on sale. I'm just sayin'!!

29. IronTrap

IronTrap

The chain was wrapped around the bumper irons. They can handle a LOT of stress/weight. The problem with this car was that it was so low if we wrapped it around the rear the chain was going to be bending the lower rear valence and causing major sheet metal damage. It was the lesser of two evils since the car was pinned against the corner in a broken concrete floored shop there wasn't a good way to "pluck" it out of there.

I need a LEGIT winch. My come-along doesn't break. Harbor Freight winches have broken on me mid-load and I'm up shit-creek. I don't mind a little manual labor. Keeps me in good shape. If I find a massive/overkill old winch that wont die after a few uses I'll jump all over it. I can't say my way of thinking is right, just I use what works for me lol.

BigDogSS likes this.