Register now to get rid of these ads!

Savalagable, or a Lost cause?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brahm, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Brahm

Brahm

Found her a couple years back.. every once in a while I take the pups on a hike threw the woods and check her out.. I always stop stare, and think..should I dig her up..or let her rust in piece..

[​IMG]

2. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

3. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

looks pretty bad, In reality anything is fixable really, But you might be better off starting from scratch than trying to fix that mangled pile of steel

4. Kingcrow

Kingcrow

Yep

5. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why not see if anything on it is saveable for those who are working on them. The whole thing is a lost cause but there may be pieces it can donate.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim Sibley would have it driving where it sits in an afternoon.
    Doc.

PS, What is it??!!

8. Salvageable.....as yard art.

9. If you can get it, why dont you just pick it up and like what everyone else said just donate peices to people that need it. Im sure there is something useable off of it.

10. Brahm

Brahm

hmmm, not a bad idea, it's a 3 window couple that's about all i know. I've looked all over for identifying marks and found nothing. the doors seem somewhat straight but one is shot full of holes, and the rear window is in good shape, also the stearing column, not much else dash..maybe.i can't recall. Yesterday I went by to see If I could lift it. It does have wood on the inside if that helps at all

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

nothing is complete junk with these cars,someone somewhere needs all those parts.

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

All you need is a few spare tractor parts, no welding skill, some random doo-dads and an engine that barely runs and you could have the perfect ratrod! No need to blow your hard earned cash on bullet hole stickers, sounds like you got a bunch of the real deal!

Seriously, though there's probably some savable bits but unless you really need them why go through all the extra effort to drag it home and store it hoping someday you might need something.

13. Yard art or leave her out there bud. Must be pretty off the beaten path to just be "out there" somewhere in the desert still.-Weeks

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if it was a 32 Ford it would be on ebay for $25,000.00

15. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

since its in california there may be some rot free parts on it...if not scrap it

16. You have a LOT more self control than I do. My ass would have been out there dragging it home the day I found it and bragging to my pals about the amazing relic I scored!

17. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Hold on...Wait for SIBLEY, I am pretty sure from what I have seen him do, he has saved WORSE...

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well it might be worth getting some of the parts in case someone else needs them, I have a garage and house full of obscure Japanese import parts, a lot of them don't even fit my car but every so often i run into someone online who needs a part to keep their car going. It's the same in the hot rod world, i've seen a lot of people over the years go dig in their junk to give someone something they need.

19. Brahm

Brahm

When I first found her, I didn't have a trailer. I've been talking about grabbin her for years now just haven't done it yet.. I was all set to about 2 months ago but ended up buying a '29 buick for cheap enough to make me hold off.. Over the years the shape of the car has been getting alot better in my head hahahah. So it was a bit of a reality check to go back out and give it a serious thought last nite, and dig up the ole photos. The other reason i went down to check her out is I don't like the rear window on my buick, so I was thinking about cutting this one out for the panel under the window and the rear window, if I couldn't save her. if there is a shred off hope.. i have grand dillusions of building a round tube chasis car, and beatin her halfway straight again.. but that is years off (to much on my plate right now).

20. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Anything can be fixed if you have enough time and/or money. You should try to save it, it would be interesting to find out what she is. Isn't that located fairly high up in the mountains? I have a roadster pickup that spent most of it's life not far from you; in Big Pine, Ca.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

TFG (Too Far Gone.)

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

If you don't grab it you will be wondering about it for the rest of your life. It is clear that you are fixated on this car. That is not a bad thing; each of us is fixated on something, that's part of life.

Bring it home and stop wondering what to do with it until it is actually sitting inside your garage. The answer will present itself.

24. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

If it isn't too much work to get it I would bring it home. At least once you have it you can stop (or hopefully) at least slow the effects of time and the earth reclaiming it.

Maybe once it's home you could figure out exactly what it is. From that point you could determine whether it was worth putting effort into saving or if maybe you could recoup some of your time and effort by selling a few pieces off it at a fair price to those in need. Maybe you could even trade some pieces from it for something you need for your car.

Like someone else has said- someone needs something off of that car.

Jay

25. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Get it.
    It will buff out!

26. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

whos Jim Sibley????????? I hear that name hear often?

27. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

28. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

if its free, dip her up and you can use it as a patch part car.
    rear window would be a good replacment, dash is probably in good shape.

but i wouldnt restore this specific one, just use its body parts to salvage another one.
    goodluck.

29. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

...Dude, you're joking right?

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i'd drag it home either way.