Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Saturday Art Show, Prints,various Artwork, Automotive Related

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lil32

Lil32

Saturday here in Aussie

Artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Car cartoons_0002.jpg

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-16_4-49-49.png
    101 Coast Highway and Wisconsin, Oceanside CA

upload_2021-1-16_4-50-40.png
    “Local artist Bob Cording is touching up the classic "Cruisin'" mural at the 101 Café. The café has been around since the 1920s, but the mural was painted by artist Larry Hill in 2005. In recent years, some of the brighter colors have started to fade in the sunlight. The mural features classic cars and surfboards depicting the time when Oceanside was emerging as a surfing paradise.”
    upload_2021-1-16_4-51-20.png
    "This is definitely a historic mural, it dates back to the days of the late 50's, you know, the space race was going on, the Cold War and they're driving around in their '55 Chevys and their woodies, surfing woodies, going down to the beach," Cording said. Cording will give the mural a state-of-the-art UV protective coat, which should make the colors last longer.”

Hello,

If you love cool cars and nostalgia, you will like this mural located on the corner of Coast Highway 101 and Wisconsin in Oceanside, CA. But, the I-5 freeway does go south, but takes an inland route at this point. Take the Coast Highway exit and go into downtown Oceanside for the destination.

The mural depicts a car hop outside with roller skates serving food to several old hot rods. The café itself dates back to 1928. At the time, the main road from San Diego to Los Angeles was right in front of the tiny restaurant. Now, the current I-5 freeway that bypasses the City of Oceanside Downtown in a 60 mph flash. It was once a drive-in then converted to a walk-in diner with the 1950’s décor.

Jnaki

It is a relic of a place and has roots that go back quite some time in So Cal history. The 101 Café in Oceanside, CA Going south on the I-5 Freeway past the Camp Pendleton compound, turn off on the Coast Highway exit and continue going South towards the downtown area. It is about a 10 minute drive down North Coast Highway to Wisconsin Street.
    upload_2021-1-16_4-52-8.png

5. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Drag racing brought out several cool artists. This was done by Pete Millar during the Gasser Wars.

Drag%20Cartoons%20comics%202%20Willys%20Rabbit.jpg

6. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

And we can't leave out Robert Williams

rwilliams-Devil-with-a-Hammer-copy-2.jpg

Frogz, 1949*john, R A Wrench and 14 others like this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

8. Lil32

Lil32

Artist Hoon Auto Gear
    Saturday here in Aussie

Car cartoons_0003.jpg

9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-1-23_4-1-7.png
    Car air horn and header tube

Hello,

John Van Hamersveld was a well known So Cal artist in the mid to late 60s.

“The artist John Van Hamersveld (b. 1941) has played an instrumental role in shaping the visual culture of rock ’n’ roll and life in Southern California since the 1960s. Holding influential positions as an art director for Surfer Magazine and Capitol Records, he transcended these roles by designing hundreds of album covers for musicians like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles along with leading the surf culture aesthetic for decades. His iconic image for the movie The Endless Summer in 1964 and his concert poster for Jimi Hendrix at L.A.’s Shrine Auditorium in 1968 have become two of the most recognizable and well-known images in their respective genres, securing JVH’s place in design history. “

My wife and I were friends with this younger guy that was from Long Beach and surfed locally with our group. At a party, we were talking about going to see Jimi Hendrix when he came to Los Angeles or somewhere in So Cal. It was a rollicking party, so the conversation went on about getting tickets to the concert. He said he was good for entrance to the concert, for my wife and I to head up there and meet him at the main door on the day of the concert. “I will take care of you guys.” He really liked my wife and that was probably why he said what he did.
    upload_2021-1-23_4-2-53.png
    The posters for the concert came to the local record shops and we got an original one. We were so amped at the idea that we were going to the Jimi Hendrix Concert at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. We thought about buying the tickets on the first day, but decided to keep the trust from our friend in tact. As the days rolled on and it came to the days leading up to the concert, we did not have tickets, but only his word that… “He would take care of us.” So, friendship trust was going to be tested on this concert.

Everyday, we looked at the concert poster and dreamed of where we were going to sit. The ticket guy at the record shop said he had tickets for the 5th row center section next to the orchestra pit. We knew the interior of the Shrine Auditorium, and those were primo seats anytime. But, we passed.

Jnaki

The day of the concert, we got dressed in our finest 60s clothes and drove up to Los Angeles to check out the auditorium. See photo below for our 1965 red El Camino in the reserved parking lot directly in front of the main doors leading into the venue.
    upload_2021-1-23_4-4-3.png
    As we walked around the venue early in the day, we were nervous as our pockets were empty and no tickets were in sight. Then as we were sitting in the El Camino and watching all of those young people dressed to the nines walking by our car, we were happy and sad. What if there were no tickets? Was it the ultimate ruse and trick?

No amount of relief was available when everyone was already in their seats. We were the only people standing on the outside of the front doors to the auditorium. All we could think about is the original poster we got earlier and actually not seeing the concert. But, our friend with the tickets came around the corner and led us inside. As most things go during this time, the walls and placard boards were covered with John Van Hamersveld original posters.

We were led down the main aisle and of course, being So Cal, everyone looked at us as though we were some kind of "stars" ready to perform on stage. When we next appeared, we were sitting on the large balcony on the left side of the stage. We were the only ones in the balcony. It was the closest anyone could get to the performers, led by Jimi Hendrix. When we stood up to take our coats off, it was like being on stage with all eyes on us. It was a moment to go down in our own rock and roll concert history of the 60’s.

The concert? Outstanding… The feeling of having some notoriety in the eyes of So Cal rock and roll enthusiasts? Priceless... Thanks, R... The original John Van Hamersveld poster, still hanging around in our memorabilia storage area.
    upload_2021-1-23_4-4-41.png
    upload_2021-1-23_4-5-2.png John Van Hamersveld

10. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

I sold off my NOS sign collection in the shop and this stuff is going up.
    I find good used frames (from $2.00 to $10.00) and this is what I get.

Before and after.

PXL_20201128_194938945.jpg PXL_20201219_200236359.jpg PXL_20201219_203015803.jpg

This one I found in a early 50's Saturday Evening Post. I have copies because it is cool and seems to be popular.

PXL_20210119_033519169.jpg

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

More Stan Wanlass

"Street Encounter"
    upload_2021-1-23_14-44-59.png

12. drummer59

drummer59
    from PA

I did this piece several years ago. Always liked the architecture of the sign. This was the first drive-in that opened in 1950, in our central PA county. Still in operation. This version was from circa 1963.

Attached Files:

13. Lil32

Lil32

saw this in Huntington Beach Ca one visit (2010) near Post Office
    I believe it is not there now
    100_0349.JPG

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did this piece about 20 years ago , I also had it digitized, to use for embroidery on my old Carrhart jacket, and I also had it embroidered on a canvas bag that I hand painted with jacquard fabric ink.

PACASSA truck (2).jpg PACASSA TRUCK EMBROIDRY ON CARHART JACKET.jpg pacassa truck bag.JPG

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

@jnaki , @ LIL32
    I really like the murals, I have not seen many in my time, I attend a very nice car show in Ashland Wi. every year. Their downtown revival has taken the murals to the max, many buildings painted up to promote tourism industry, pretty much all that's left in Northern Wi. see link https://www.visitashland.com/murals/

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any of us old timers here in Seattle, will quickly recognize this mural on a building located on Aurora Ave.
    historic old highway 99 mural.JPG

20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a piece of line art I did back in 1995, for T-Shirts for the Georgetown Powerplant Museum at Boeing field. This is how it turned out on the shirt.
    georgetown powerplant musuem.jpg

21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over in the town of Roslyn Washington, on the back of the theater, is this amazing mural of Brando as the Wild One !
    brando the wild one (3).JPG

chriseakin, ct1932ford, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I've always loved Lance's work as well. I love his chopped Chevy truck.

23. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

24. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Steve Stanford's work. 1960 Chevy drawing by S. Stanford.jpg 1962 Impala.jpg

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

S&A2.jpg

'A Hotrod Salute'

:rolleyes:...Period Correct...But it was not to be...

Credit to All That Inspired This

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

@Ron Funkhouser, I remember having a girly type calendars always in my garage, Snap On or some other car related company, pretty racy at the time. Another sign "Speed Costs Money, How Fast Do You Want to Go" applied for years. My wife made a cool sign for my garage/man cave for me years ago " He Who Dies With the Most Toys, Wins" Nobody has ever told me what I'll win, but I've done my best to be in contention LOL

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.