Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Satin paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff56, Dec 21, 2020.

1. anthony myrick

anthony myrick

You. can pick out a color and have it mixed in different levels. Enamel, urethane, and probably 2-3 levels in base clear for the same paint company.
    The pigment(color) is the same. You pay the $$$ for the binder. That determines type (enamel, urethane ......)
    Straight enamel is the cheapest. The high end base coats are for matching new car colors in collision work. Meaning they spend a lot of $$$ on color matches.
    You don’t need that for an all over.
    On the other hand, the solid content on more expensive paints is higher. Meaning they cover better. This can be fixed by using a good color primer or sealer under the paint. For example, don’t paint red over black. It takes a lot more coats to cover than over a light sealer for that color.
    A decent paint store should be able to explain the difference and cost levels. If not, go somewhere else.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I used it from Tractor Supply , Magic? Brand. On my kids OT car. Sprayed fine and covered well with the HF purple gun. Also used their hardener.

3. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i use shiny paint and let it age naturally in the sun /shade , summer /winter . the gloss is only skin deep

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Somebody is gouging you badly! My buddy bought the Flatz for the '35 Plymouth coupe for just over $230 a gallon, with hardener, reducer.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That Plymouth coupe was ass ended when he bought it. Wrinkled up badly from the bottom of the trunk lid opening back. Hammered it out as best as we could, but finally cut things loose to get it pulled out the rest. Then we cut off the last 3"-4" and just welded up the tail panel to look like it is now. It's not like an original '35 looks, but close.

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a cheap bastard and I'm happy with my $200 paint jobs. I like the old stand-by, Valspar's John Deere Blitz Black. I've painted my last couple of hot rods with it And just finishing up the Cabriolet (avatar) with it too.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Blitz-Black-Paint-TY25631.html

John Deere Blitz Black Paint Gallon TY25669 | eBay

Or Valspar 4431-19 Low Gloss Black Tractor and Implement Paint...which is the same as the Blitz Black formula...but appears to be discontinued.

Use Valspar's "Renuw" hardener. The only drawback is the paint is little brittle (chips easy) if you use the recommended amount of hardener...I use a little less and it's fine.
    pan8.jpg
    Valspar Tractor & implement 3 yrs old

32a.jpg
    John Deere Blitz Black 5yrs old

AHotRod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. Show or Go? Just kidding. 119.jpg 135.jpg 20180111_190748.jpg 098.jpg But I do like a little Hot Rod primer sometimes.:rolleyes:

8. Budget36

Budget36

Not sure if it’s just my county or all of Ca., but Valspar can’t be found anymore around here, I used to use it from Tractor Supply, then maybe 3-4 years ago it was replaced with Magic? I think that’s the brand. This is the same time water based spray cans showed up on the shelf too

9. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

While white and yellow hide a multitude of body work sins, they make bad fitment (gaps) stick out like sore thumb....lol...there ain't no winnin' in this game, it's all got to be perfect.

chevy57dude and anthony myrick like this.
  10. 55blacktie

55blacktie

It's your car and your money, do whatever you want with it. However, I don't care for satin paint. I don't think it looks professional or finished. Black primer was common among hotrodders many years ago because that's all they could afford. What would you expect to see on a $50 car?

11. When my Son was alive he Painted my Mercury with Rostoleam Black Satin
    The Paint & thinner & Dryer cost about 45. dollars., that was in 2014 & I have
    to paint it again.
    When He was Painting he said that it Flowed better than he expected.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it's in statewide.

None up my way, either.

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Be sure to use the exact amount of thinner with flattened and satin paints. Over thinning will cause it to dry glossy and defeats the purpose of the flattening agent.

Cosmo49, anthony myrick and Blues4U like this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Back home in Sodville (Iowa) we were painting Hot Rods with John Deere Blitz Black since the 60's and it works just fine.
    If this style of paint makes your son and you smile then by all means do it. I really get tired of all these guys preaching "shiny paint".
    They all need to go back 15-20 years ago around here, because flat black was the standard.... and I know, I've been here for 20 years.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  16. I lived in B'field my entire life 'til I retired in 1/2019 and moved to Van Alstyne Texas where I can buy any paint I want. When in Kalifornia, I just mail-ordered paint to ship to my daughter's house in Denver and she forwarded it to me. Problem solved. The absolute best dead flat paint I have found is Summit satin catalyzed urethane clear. Paint any base color and clear coat it in Summit flat. Beautiful paint and only $65/gallon. Almost giving it away!

17. Not mentioned is that the textures on certain paints are different from others, I'm pretty sure mine is HotrodFlatz at least that's what I told the painter I wanted, and it has an eggshell type texture to it.

Screenshot_20201229-233749_Facebook.jpg

The previous paint was regular automotive paint with a flattner in it and was much smoother. Also be careful not to use carwash soap with a wax in it, it will turn satin into a semi-gloss.

18. Ron Trame

Ron Trame

I didn't realize flat paint was all that complicated and expensive. I painted my 65 Mustang Rat Rod with Rustolium Flat Black Enamel spray cans from Home Depot. The look I want. Cheap. no problem to touch up. Not perfect but the car is a beater and fits right in at the local cruise nights and local car shows. Did the same thing with my 57 Ford Ranch Wagon in 1968 but used black primer spray paint.

19. Butch M

Butch M

used a flat clear on mine IMG_0975.JPG