Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Satin or Flat Paint Spray Wax

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I have had a flat or satin paint on some of my vehicles now for years.
    I could never find anything that cleaned and waxed the surface without leaving swirl marks from a rag.
    Within the last few years I tried a new one and couldn't believe the results.
    Made by a company with great overall products.

[​IMG]

My Napa stopped putting it on their shelves but will order it for you. Amazon carries it too.
    It's not cheap but the cost actually forced me to use a new way of applying it. I used to use a cotton soft rag or towel, but decided to apply it using a micro-fiber cloth and then hit it quick with a cotton after it dried. Cut consumption to 1/3. Just spray directly in the microfiber instead of the paint surface.
    What products have you been happy with??

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    catdad49, wraymen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Shiny paint?:)

hrm2k, wraymen and dana barlow like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Even smells like bubble gum.
    Don't drink it Fred.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Turtle wax manufactures a spray detailer (not wax) for black cars, works great on my Y2K black satin painted 63 Belair 2 door post car. You don't want to be using wax on a satin finish.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had good results with Wizard Wipe Down on my base/clear satin '32.

6. BJR

BJR

Why would you wax a flat or satin painted car? I thought that the whole purpose of painting it flat or satin in the first place was to not have a shiny surface. What am I missing?

54vicky, swade41, Unkl Ian and 3 others like this.
  7. redo32

redo32

Lemon Pledge.................... try it

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Silly silly boy. Not to make it shiny. Too make it easier to clean up. Bugs, tar, sap, spit, bird poop and water marks above all else.

BJR and Hnstray like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes I have. Good results at first. Still has swirls. One rain or wash and it disappears.

Montana1 likes this.
  10. Wash?

I hose off my blitz black beater but I think I'll try one or some of these ideas. Everyone said it wouldn't fade or get chalky but after 3 years- I'd say "they" are wrong. Maybe one of these will reduce that chalkiness too?

"If it ain't broke - fix it till it is"

11. mohead1

mohead1

Rat Wax

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Ear wash then rat wax.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'll be damned, they weren't bullshitting you.
    https://www.amazon.com/Matte-Finish-Detailer-Cleaner-Protection/dp/B00DF75KQO
    Probably an advanced formula of the stuff t2 hey sold to use on the satin finish hoods of those 60's and 70's super cars that had flat black hoods.
    I've told the story before but in 1973 when I painted the 48 (yes I have had it that long) 72 Monte Carlo Placer gold the paint dude in Waco missed the boat when he didn't tell me that I also needed the clear coat to make it shine. I worked my ass off trying to get that paint to shine and it was years later that I figured out it should have been clear coated. I did have one of the first satin paint jobs only about 35 years ahead of when they got popular.

15. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

No wax for flats or satin. a spray detailer like Mcguire s will work well.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

afaulk likes this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I agree, I used Lemon Pledge the other day. Worked great.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm a long time Lemon Pledge user. This is an old motorcyclist trick, just about every motorcyclist I know uses Lemon Pledge for quick detailing the bike. Works the same on the hot rod. I just spray some Pledge on a old cloth diaper, wipe down the surface, then flip the diaper over to the dry side and buff it nice and dry. On a flat paint job it just gives you a nice clean surface. On shiny paint it will buff out to a very nice shine. A good tip is use it on any black painted engine or exhaust surfaces. Spray it on, wipe it off and buff it, then fire the engine up and the wax melts beautifully into a smooth beautiful coating. Keeps the lakes headers on my A looking freshly painted. Works well on the shiny stuff too, chrome, stainless, aluminum, etc.

Roothawg and Montana1 like this.
  18. redo32

redo32

My poor ol' Merc was parked under the carport most of the time and after a few years the Blitz black was looking dingy. A wash with a scotchbrite cleaned it up, then spray and rub Pledge, hose it down and wipe dry, left it smooth and nice for a couple of weeks. Pretty quick and easy compared to wax & detail that shiny stuff.

Speaking of shiny stuff, there was a near perfect '29 sedan delivery that was black lacquer and Floyd would wax it with black shoe polish.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  19. I like this...
    t9.png

It leaves it a little greasy, but one trip to the car wash and it looks like I just painted it!

20. no55mad

no55mad

Wieman makes a product (Lemon Oil) and it has no silicone and has a sun protection property. Dutch Glow has a product called 'Amish Wood Milk' which also has no silicone. Got the Wiemans at Ace Hardware and Dutch Glow at Bed Bath and Beyond. Both worked as good as Pledge with no silicone. Even used it (Wiemans) on the roadster top. I liked Pledge but I believe it has silicone which can be a problem for future painting.

Montana1 likes this.
  21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

BTT any more suggestions?

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Scotchbrite and a second shot of Krylon.

Hotrodmyk and da34guy like this.
  23. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Do we want to know where that comes from?

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Lysol aerosol Basin/Tub and Tile cleaner. I've use it for years on my suede paint jobs. My handle is Krylon32 for a reason.

Lorenzini likes this.
  25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll have to ask my wife what she uses to wax the cars & my truck. I'll get back to you.......

Petejoe and Montana1 like this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I use my right hand to wax....

27. I use both hands and a liberal coating of knob polish.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread a friend used to use that dry wash stuff with good results. I only ever saw it for sale at those higher end car shows but you can probably find it on line.

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

On my suede's I use Turtle Wax spray detailer thats specifically made for black cars. No streaks or swirl marks.

Gary

29. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Mr. Miagi used youg Danielson to wax his rod

30. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cleaned and polished my coupe with WD40 and a blue lint free paper towel...………….worked great for 10 years