Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Santa Rosa fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigfluxer, Oct 10, 2017.

1. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Sending positive thoughts to the Tardel's and all involved.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They have evacuated themselves and a few cars... Keith was out there for work, so now he's helping out his pops. Really scary deal.

IMG_0498.jpeg

biggeorge, bobwop, Dog_Patch and 3 others like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As it stands, they have evacuated somewhere around 20 cars to a nearby school that appears safe... Cell towers are down, so I can't get ahold of Keith...

k.jpg

IMG_5677.jpeg

4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit! I wish all the best to everyone involved. Thoughts and prayers sent!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This guy is south of Vern's... Poor guy - I wish I knew him so I could help out.

452C145B00000578-4962146-image-a-67_1507578048466.jpg

6. No good at all. Thanks for the updates Ryan.

Best wishes to all for safety!

7. catdad49

catdad49

Hope All are OK!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  8. Thoughts are with anyone there whose lives and property are in peril.

9. Man, that just rips your heart out.:( 452C145B00000578-4962146-image-a-67_1507578048466.jpg

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

My Brother Bob and Wife Dora & son Ian had the car loaded up ready to go in the event of the evacuation. Luckily it stayed away from Holly Ave as they’re right by the green belt between the 101 and housing.
    I had no idea that Keith was up there. I hope VT and Keith are well, lot of things in SR and Windsor was lost even a 100 yr + historic round barn....
    My buddy in Sabastopol seems to be ok too. He runs a custom shop there so glad he’s safe as well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Moe Drum and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

From what I can tell from the maps, Vern's place is north of most of the devastation... Even so, there are smaller fires north of Vern as well... He's kind of surrounded at the moment, but again - this is just what I can tell from the news and maps. They still don't have cell coverage.

biggeorge and blackbeard40 like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm 20 miles from the nearest, smaller fire which I believe is contained. Just real smokey out. Lots of Hambers though in Napa and Santa Rosa.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  13. Not to cause dissent. However they need to reevaluate how they are managing the land. I think possibly do controlled burns when its wetter to remove potential fuel . Its a shame for folks to lose what they worked for when it could easily be prevented. Its very dry at present here in the Ozark Foothills. There are burn bans in place. Most of our wildfires are not life threatening. They burn low to the ground and any fire you can step over cant kill you. But they do cause property damage. My places aren't in any danger because my livestock has grazed everything down pretty short. When I was a young kid in the 60,s every spring they would pick a time and burn off the entire county. That removed the litter and build up of overgrowth and big wildfires didn't occur.

14. exterminator

exterminator

:(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wolf all that has been done here. It can't always be prevented.

Hatchet, lewk, Blue One and 3 others like this.
  16. One tip I would like to share that possibly could save a life. You cant outrun a wild fire that is being driven by the wind. If your caught in a situation like that. Look for a patch of relatively bare ground. and stand there and light a fire in front of you when your back is against the wind. Then that fire you just lit will start racing away and you can safely follow in the burnt path it will create. It will travel at the same speed as the fire you are fleeing does.

loudbang, Truck64, bobwop and 9 others like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

winds in most fires do not just blow one direction, could easily come back at you

Blue One likes this.
  18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred Stokes Ranch is down there and just a few miles north of the Kaiser hospital and trailer park IMG_1069.jpg that was on the news early and Fred just recovering from a building fire just a few years ago.

Wish him/them all the best.

My roadster on the trailer ready for a quick escape again if needed up here.

IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0322.jpg

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Don probably won't appreciate this, but Hotroddon here on the HAMB spent last evening and today helping others by evacuating horses and other critters with his truck and horse trailer, from the fire that's burning in Anaheim Hills.
    [​IMG]

3340, biggeorge, Tman and 16 others like this.
  20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

That is probably an early '60s truck and trailer. Thank you for all of them.

21. Such a sad situation for so many. Scotty Birdsall of Chuckles Garage here on the HAMB was hit pretty hard. I could not imagine what he's going through with his family. There's a Go Fund Me started to help him and his family get back on their feet. I copied this directly their Go Fund Me:

This fund is to help us in rebuilding from the complete and total loss of our home on 1928 Dogwood Drive in Santa Rosa. In the early morning hours of October 9th we were awakened by very loud thermal winds from the tubbs fire. We had just enough time to put our clothes on, get our 6 year old daughter and her disabled 81 year old grandma ready and get out the door before our house was completely incinerated. We have nothing but our leased Honda and the clothes on our backs. Every single thing we own as a family is gone. All of our cars, all of our heirlooms, and all of our books and other worldly posessions. this fund is to help us find interim rental housing while our home is replaced, to help us buy clothing oh, and to help replace our businesses work truck that was very key to our business. We lost 4 of our vehicles including our prized 1962 Fairlane and 1962 Buick LeSabre that Scott has owned since he was 19 years old.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Julie, Olivia, Scott, and Grandma Leta.

https://www.gofundme.com/birdsall-family-recoverytubbs-fire
    chuckles.jpeg

22. GOD,,,,,,,,,,,that's awful,,

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

H.A.M.B. members will step up as best that they can as they always do - can not imagine going through something like this, even with insurance - the ongoing fires in Northern & Southern California have wiped out everything for many people, even some have lost their lives - our Country has been hit so hard with hurricanes & flooding recently imagine hard for many to think of a place that is burning - hope to hear about info on Vern Tardel's & Fred Stokes places - please keep this thread going

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  25. LBCD

LBCD

My father in law is in Oakmont and they were evacuated with minutes to spare, the Kmart and Hilton burned. Not looking good as the fires are spreading so fast and so many spot fires. Horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As it stands, it looks like Vern's place is gonna be safe? Knock on wood fellas... But it looks good.

27. My sis moved to Oregon this year. Glad she did her entire subdivision is burnt to the ground.
    I hope that most if not all of us come out alright.

bobwop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

The high winds made it a monster that travels fast. Best of luck to those in the fire zone.

29. DAMN. The Strange Bird nailhead Falcon, and everything fun in family and love. Can't imagine that horror of horrors. Donated, sir. Thank you for sharing. He hasn't been on here in a bit. God bless him, and everyone else affected. S#it sucks.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Preikster like this.
  30. Special Ed

Special Ed

That image of what's left of Chuckles Garage, posted by El Hueso, is beyond my ability to comprehend. How horrific. I cannot imagine attempting to explain that sort of devastation to a 6-year-old. :(

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.