Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sanding the weld on my wishbones ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maddog, Dec 29, 2008.

1. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

I think I read somewhere that you should not sand the weld that runs down the legnth of the wishbone tube on the top.

I have split mine and would like to clean them up.
    Seems like it would be ok to me but what do you say?

OK or NOT OK ?

2. I ground mine down, I did'nt see ant prroblem.

CBB

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I don't think I've seen wishbones with the weld on top. Are you sure you have them right side up? The ones I have and have seen have the weld on the bottom, and no I'd leave them.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I agree that they should be on the bottom.

I'm leaving the seam on mine....

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

My 42 - 48 front bones have the seam on top. I smoothed them, no problems here.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Sweet! Don't model A bones have the seam on the bottom though?

7. The seam was on the top of mine, they are '42 to '48 also.

CBB

8. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

I don't know if it's ok to sand them. The A's I have are welded on the bottom, the others I have are welded on the top.

Lucky667

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ya, A bones have the seam on the bottom. The a rears I have aren't even welded.
    If I remember correctly the later V-8 bones have a much thicker wall then the A bones do. So if you have A bones, I wouldn't grind them.

10. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I could never understand why some folks say not to grind the weld on a wishbone or a dropped tube axle like a Superbell etc. What good is a bit of weld sitting up on top of and axle or radius rod?

11. I left mine when we chromed them because the chromer showed me where his broke back in 62 after he ground them smooth. Split the weld and then then bent about 30 degrees. Good enough reason for me to leave em as Henry intended.

12. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i wouldn't grind on them. i'm leaving mine alone, scares me to think what would happen to have one let go out on the freeway.

13. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

When I built my rear axle locater "A" frame I made it from some late 30s rear wishbones and I ground the weld off to make them smooth. My rear suspension consist of my "A" frame that is connected to the bottom axle housing with pretty stout tabs on both sides of the center section and the center of the "A" frame has a 3/4 inch Heim joint that mounts to the center crossmember right under the drive shaft front U joint. To keep the rear end from rotating I have a pair of adjustable links that connect to the top of the axle housing and then to about the center of the links that I made from the wishbones. Well I have a habit of doing a short burn out when I come into my garage and I think this practice is what have caused the lower wishbone sections to start bending and one is cracking along the weld area that I ground smooth. Now I have a little shit box 2 liter 4 banger for an engine and my car weights around 1500 so if this can happen with this small motor a good V8 would have bent these into pretzels a long time ago. One of the things that you will find when you grind Henry's weld off is that it is pretty poor and is filled with pin holes and slag. If I were to do it again, I would grind out most of the original weld and then completely reweld, which is what I am presently doing. I am also adding some section to the area that is bending to eliminate that problem. Probably won't stop doing the burn outs.

Rex

Attached Files:

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Having cut them apart and seeing first hand the crappy weld...no Vee in the joint so no worthwhile penetration...I personally wouldn't even dream of grinding the weld!
    Having said that...It's very likely that not all the bones out there exhibit the same lack of penetration. The problem is...how do you tell the good from the bad?????

If I simply HAD to grind them I'd first slice the original weld, then Vee properly and reweld with good penetration.
    That way you know what you have.

15. I was thinking about doing this, with TIG, before chroming.

16. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I've seen some that had water in them then freeze causing the weld to crack, a good indication about the weld's strength. Also, if they're pitted on the outside there's a good chance they look worse on the inside. Could be that grooving out the weld and rewelding would be a good way to go.

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Grind the weld down, take your cut off wheel and cut a line down the seam... Then re-weld with proper pentration and grind them smooth. You'll be fine.

18. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Spend your energy on something worth while on your car. Grinding welds is unneeded overkill!

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I would never use a bone on any thing but an old stocker.

20. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

These are not A bones. They were spring in front and I cut that part off. They are very thick and heavy. I like the idea of rewelding them. That big ol narley weld on top looks like crap.

I also like the idea of spending time on something else, like finishing the car. :D

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

A torrential downpour of epic bad-ass hot-rods with bones are flooding my mind right now.

22. I have the later thicker ones with the weld on the top. I cut them through about 2" behind the pin, rotated them 180 degrees and welded them back up. Now the weld is on the bottom.

A little tip. If you ate going to have them chromed take all 4 parts to the polishers before re-welding, your polishing man will appreciate it!

Here's mine after polishing and before I re welded.
    [​IMG]

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I mag-partical tested mine, and both showed a crack the full length of the seam. Hogged them out and rewelded them.

24. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Thats a good idea. My shop next door neighbor does that.

I love it when a plan comes together.:D

Thanks for all the help, good answers here.

25. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Sure enough, I cut them to length today and the crack was very visible on both bones from the inside headed out. They didnt get anywhere near full penetration when they welded them. The crack had not yet made it all the way out, but if I had ground off the welds I bet I would have seen it. It was almost to the surface.

I will be rewelding them.

26. budd

budd

i'm not wishing to hijack your thread but is anyone makeing new wishbones?

27. 63chevyll

63chevyll

no, not that ive seen

28. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Pretty sure I saw an ad or release that Fatman is making new ones?