Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sanding , grinding , lead poisoning?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Styleliner, May 12, 2013.

1. Styleliner

Styleliner

Been sanding and welding and grinding and cutting and now I feel like I can hardly move.... Complete fatigue and slow snail like feeling.... Is lead poisoning a common possibility when cutting and sanding cars from the 40s and 50s? Or did I just do too much too soon?

2. Doubt its lead poisoning that quickly, on one car.

You werent licking the dust off the car, were you? :D

3. Best to go see a DR. ASAP

And yes you can be exposed to lead and a bunch of other stuff

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Possible poisoning? Check the HAMB.:confused:

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

the answer with the lead is yes.. Not Now.. but just wait.. You wont like whats in Store..

Lead in any form is deadly.. The Dust to the Fumes.. But like I said... it will hit you quick.. and there isnt no Cure.

6. Yeah, really..:rolleyes:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That seems to have come on a bit fast as most sources say it takes an accumulation in most people. It's been pretty warm the past couple of days between here and there, you aren't suffering dehydration from not drinking enough of the proper liquids are you? That would give the same symptoms you have.

8. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Hits me every day,,, I call it "OLD AGE":D

9. Gdogg

Gdogg
    from Michigan

Lead poisoning is real bad news, I had a friend get it from reloading ammo. Best thing to do is go to the Doc and get checked out. My buddy had to go through about a year of treatment and was off work all that time.

10. Styleliner

Styleliner

Yeah the heat here in eastern wa has been bad. Came on suddenly this year.... Maybe I just haven't adjusted yet.

11. Hmmm...someone better not tell bill heinz or gene winfield or the others!:eek:

12. Cigar smoke kills lead poisoning, ONLY reason Bill is explainable.

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

as i understand it from the tv commercials don't gnaw on your woodwork and you will be ok---seriously ,i grew up in lead mining country, small doses from short term exposure usually only result in nausea and not long term problems...

14. Styleliner

Styleliner

Good to know.... I get in a hurry and while welding I sometimes burn up some old paint and get a snoot full.... Lead dust while sanding... Never eat the stuff though. The thought of wearing my glasses, my helmet AND a respirator makes me want to hire the work out.lol. Thanks. Everyone.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Complete fatigue and slow snail like feeling...." May not be lead poisoning, but doesn't sound ok.

16. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Well, theres the Lucky few I guess... Which is Good...

My dad passed from that .. He was a printer.. and did have Direct Contact with lead for a long time..

17. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Lead poisoning is so serious that Kalaforina is banning it in bullets.

I don't think that it would matter that much to someone that was shot with a steel bullet though.)

18. We used it for years in the auto industry. I worked in the safety dept for awhile. We tested the lead area employees twice yearly. We would get some high readings and move them for awhile and the body would flush itself. Had no cases of lead poisoning as of the time I was in there.

19. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Not trying to be a dick, but how's your blood pressure? This is a common way for folks with hypertension (like me) to learn that something's wrong. If you push yourself for a few hours working on the car or around the yard and have symptoms like the ones you're describing, it could be a high / low blood pressure or even low blood sugar problem or worse.

May be worth getting a checkup, and hope all is well so you can grind away on your next project.

20. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Were you wearing hearing protection? Sound fatigue can really wear you out.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes its shit you dont really think of. I came in a few days ago after spending the day grinding and welding on some wrought iron flowerboxes.... Dog tired!
    I thought about it and realized it wasnt the grinding and welding, but rather standing in basically one place on a hard concrete floor. That can make every joint in your body ache!

22. bgaro

bgaro

everything in moderation, i guess.

23. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

My dad had lead poisoning when we were working in a lead works. He was ill for a long time and got put on a diet of nothing but milk.

24. .. and the "lead poisoning stunts your growth" thing is just another myth.

Bob

25. My sister's husband let us know that he spent some years in the stained-glass business. Which explains a lot about the guy....

Bob

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And then Hambers with no medical training whatsoever give advice as if they know. It's hard enough to diagnose a tuning problem...but this? Jeez.

Undue fatigue is not normal. It could be anything. Go see a doctor!

jeffd1988 likes this.
  27. Be sure to ask the doctor what's the best way to chop a Merc;)

28. Styleliner

Styleliner

I like the way you think!

Feeling better today mustve been a combination of the heat and overworking in impossible positions. Thanks everyone. It really did poop me out.

29. ChefMike

ChefMike

it would take years to screw your body over ! dont worry your just getting what they call old age!