Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sanderson header question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Styleliner, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Styleliner

Styleliner

Just recieved some headers from sanderson for my 49 chev v8 switch, the instructions say no gaskets necessary, just a 1/8 bead of silicone. Has anyone had any experience with these? Should I fudge the instructions and put gaskets in? It goes against my mojo to not use gaskets but if someone here says its all good, i'll try it.

2. Wow. That's the second most strangest thing I've heard in header instructions. I'm gonna stand by and wait for the answer here.

Posted from my office while pretending to work!

3. Do what the instructions say...it works. Just make sure you use a liberal amout of silicone and, very important, allow it to thoroughly cure before you fire the engine.

4. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the same set but didn't get instructions. I used dead-soft copper gaskets and had success. Not using gaskets seems odd to me. Kudos to those that have pulled it off but I think maintenance woudl be a PITA later on down the road.

5. 2racer

2racer

sounds like a bad idea, use some quality gaskets

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I used regular header gaskets and it worked fine.

7. KIRK

KIRK

I used the stuff they recommend when I installed mine on aluminum heads on a sbc. Ran it 5 years with no leaks or trouble. When I pulled it down for a rebuild I did use gaskets and that worked well too. I think either way is good. Gaskets are easier however.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't run header gaskets. I have not in about 10-years. Probably 45-50 installs, no issues. Silicone works just fine.

9. I used the copper gaskets with the Stage 8 fasteners, no problems.

10. I'm running copper permatex and have no problems.......lots of new cars run no gaskets as long as the surface is straight.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I use Permatex's ultra copper. no issues..

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

I just put a set of zoomies from them on a T Bucket..... I have used copper RTV in the past along with gaskets to seal some tough ones up, but NEVER heard of using black RTV. I was hesitant, sceptical and puzzled..... all at the same time.

I applied the RTV, let them set over night and installed them. Been a month now, no leaks.

I am amazed.

But, I will say this. It is more the quality of the flanges, the thickness and the welds and the flatness they are ground down to, more than just using RTV. I have a feeling these things would seal fine without the RTV.... much like many car manufaturers that don't use gakets on their exhaust manifolds.

I will say I put a set on a SBC in a 40 Chevy 4 years ago using Mr. Gasket header gaskets and they have never leaked either.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I tried their method and got leaks, so I now run header gaskets and every couple of years change them out as they get hard from heat and age. But they do seal well that way.

I use the copper ones on the header caps because I uncap mine a lot and the copper ones last forever and seal well.

Don

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Doesn't installing gaskets void their warranty?

15. Styleliner

Styleliner

Thanks for all the great input guys. I think I'll follow sandersons instructionsand keep watch. Against my better judgement.

16. Styleliner

Styleliner

By the way, the warranty states that it would be void due to "improper installation" . Whether or not this means using gaskets when the instructions called for black rtv... I cant be certain.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd call them to make sure. Couldn't hurt.

18. Bobjoe

Bobjoe

I been running Sanderson zoomies some 5 years. 3 different motors. No probs. Always silicone. good luck.

19. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i used their headers on a 302 in my 54 ford, i didnt like the idea of silicone so i used stock manifold gaskets, been 10 years and no leaks or troubles.....john

20. captmullette

captmullette

did what they said, no issues at all, damn a leaking gasket

21. 59 brook

59 brook

sanderson cast iron headers on my wagon jet coated 12+ yrs now never had a gasket, silicone or leak. still look like new. the header flange is 3/8" thick

22. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I had a set of headers on an OT car that would not seal even with double gaskets. In desperation I tried the silicone and it worked. I was amazed.

23. upspirate

upspirate

I kept blowing gaskets on cheap set of block huggers on my SBC,
    Used hi-temp silicone small bead on both sides of new gasket and no leaks.

I was told to use it when I installed headers on a 2.3 Ford that had small holes in the head for air injection tubes from the stock manifold otherwise a gasket/header won't seal,so I filled the holes direct into the exhaust port,and never had a leak in 4 yrs 60K miles

24. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

I installed sanderson headers on a 289 just like the instructions said with silicone, so far so good.

25. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

upspirate;
    the engine that I had trouble with the header leaking was also a 2.3 ford. Now I'm wondering if the problem was air injection holes in the head, something that I never considered.
    The silicone lasted until I sold the car and after that it was no longer my problem.

26. Well, I guess you can't have a leaky gasket if you don't use a gasket. Sounds like I need to try this when I get the mill back in the wagon. Damn gaskets anyway

27. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I've used the copper silicone and nothing else for years, have never had a leak yet. 8 yrs on a set of hooker super comps on my chevy II and 8 yrs on a set of sanderson lakesters. Just a good bead, bolt them on and let them sit over night before you fire it up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I used hi temp red silicone and no gaskets on a 472 Cadillac with home brewed headers and it worked perfectly.

29. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

The silicone recommended by them,and the instructions followed like I got um on my flathead,worked like a champ!!

30. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Its a patented flange design that eliminates the need for a gasket.