Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sandblasting Aluminum body panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mnhotrodbuilder, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Does anyone have any tips on mediablasting aluminum body panels? My assumption is that they will warp easier. What media is good for this, if any?

Thanks for your time

Jesse

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Walnut shells......plastic media...

CB

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only tip is don't blast them. Use paint stripper, sand the old finish 1st to open it up and make it work faster. Clean the aluminum with WD-40 when it's stripped clean, then hot soapy water.

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I thought it maybe a bad idea on them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason for the WD-40 afterward is to "suck out" any remaining liquid stripper from the aluminum. It dawned on me later that I didn't explain that, but after 2 refinishes on some aluminum panels after stripping, it was the only thing that got into it deep enough to stop the finish from developing little blisters after about 3 weeks. This was back in the 70s when I learned that trick. Good luck and share your progress.

6. larry k

larry k

"YEA" (DON'T) !!!:cool:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANKS! That is a great tip, I do hope there is another aluminum body to work on out there somewere. Bob:)

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Enlighten us. What exotic full aluminum body are you working with here?

9. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Would soda work better on aluminum?

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Soda blasting would be the way to go.

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

1953 Austin Healey 100/4 vintage sports/race car project. It will have aluminum fenders all around and door skins when I'm done. Not that exotic they made 4k or 5k of them that year if I remember right. Hood, dash and deck lid are also aluminum. I want to say center bonnet also but maybe wrong.

I shouldn't have said sandblasting in the title. Just the name I have used out of habit when referring to media/soda blasting.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I had a 56 100 back in the early 80's it was just a great little car and it even had a factory aluminum hardtop with it. Sold it for $3,500 around 1982. Couldn't imagine what it would be worth today. Good luck with your project.

13. 36 ram

36 ram

I use glass bead #8 harbour freight its about $38.00 for 50# I have had no warping on anything aluminum nor pitting, it comes out smooth. The glass beads shatter on impact, then if your going to reuse the beads, screen through a screen, ie window screen(don't let your wife catch you!) After you screen it, the consistentsy is like soda but still works well, I reuse it 4-5 times then it turns to dust. I mainly use it in cabinet at 60-80 psi, start low an do a sample run and turn the pressure up til your comfortablebwith it and starts working well.

14. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

Used plastic media on Austin healey with no problems, but reading other comments seems like you have several options that won't hurt.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is the 100/4 the one with the windsheild that slides up and down? Great looking cars! Bob

16. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Yes it is!