Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sandblast and primer color questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darby, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Darby

Darby

I talked to a local media blast shop this morning about getting the cab and front sheetmetal of my truck blasted and painted. I keep finding more rust and evidence of previous shitty bodywork, so I'm thinking about biting the bullet and taking it all to metal and starting over and doing it right.

My plan is to have the blast shop also coat it in PPG DP primer to seal it up while I'm working on it. The truck will eventually be finished in a darker color, probably green base+clear. What color DP would you use in preparation of a dark-but-probably-not-black topcoat? Black? Light green? Grey?

And has anybody priced media blasting lately? They estimated the cab, without doors, at $400 or Cab+doors and front sheet metal at $800. Ouch.

2. JAB

JAB

go with the light green or even a white to make the color stand out better. my camaro i painted green and used the light green primer. looks good, but where i missed taping up and had black primer it just looks like metalic flat black, the green didnt cover it at all. my opinion would be the light green if your set on green, white if its still in consideration.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

given the amount of metal you have ahead of ya, I wouldn't sweet the
    color of primer, jus' yet. You'll be reshootin most of the surface prior to
    top coating this thing anyway. Darker undercoats are easer to cover
    with deeper top coat colours, but can spell trouble if ya use to deep a
    shade with some candies and metalics. A medium gray primer usually
    dosen't present to much trouble.

4. Darby

Darby

I was thinking gray also, for lack of a better idea. I will give it another coat of DP before the finish goes on. I'm not going to use candies or metallics, but would like to avoid any problems with anything at this point.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

5. JayD

JayD

I agree with what has been said. Use a primer that will show you the flaws the best so you can work them out. I usually use light gray/dark gray. I like to work an area, prime it light, work it, prime it dark.....the switching primers is like color sanding, you'll find the lows. Then before you paint you can use a sealer that is best matched for your paint color.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

you want to use a color primer that is as close to if not darker then the final color. It will help your base color cover better and if you get any stone chips they will not show up as bad .

if they do prime it only have them do a light coat to protect the metal from surface rust. most will be removed by the time you do all your body work.heavy primer before body work will make it tuff to feather out the primer leaving you with rings or waves.

7. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

The price should be about half of that. I would shop around.