Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sand cast cowl steering blister

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fourspd2quad, Aug 9, 2016.

1. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi everyone, I've been casting parts for awhile now, mostly motorcycle parts for friends on the side. I dig cowl steering and am going to run it on my 29 roadster project. I wanted to design and cast something for a "blister" to make the pitman arm look a little more integrated to the cowl. I have the luxury of having access to 3-D cad and 3-D printer so this is the model or "master" that I designed.

IMG_2392.JPG
    There are several postings on here how guys have cast various components so I won't go into intricate detail on the process itself but here are a few shots just to see the basics.
    IMG_2284.JPG
    This is one half of the mold, note the funky parting line and the angle of the master. Proper drafting and orientation of the part is necessary in order to pull it from the sand.
    IMG_2288.JPG
    Here is the other half, the white stuff is talcum powder which prevents the part and sand from sticking to the other half.

IMG_2299.JPG
    Here is a shot of the mold filled and setting up. I use petrobond sand as opposed to green sand as it gives better detail in my opinion.
    IMG_2323.JPG
    Here is the part removed from the sand after about 20 minutes. Note the attachment of the sprue and riser. You basically fill the sprue with the molten aluminum until you see it fill up the riser. These features allow the aluminum a place to draw material from as the part starts to "setup" and shrink.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Above is a shot of the "master" or "pattern" along with parts that are "as cast" and polished followed by a few beauty shots of the finished part with the center removed.
    IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    The following shots are of it mocked up on the car. I spray bombed the pitman arm and shaft just to show contrast.
    IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    So that's pretty much it in a nut shell. If anyone has questions regarding the casting process or anything else I would be glad to fill you in!

Attached Files:

brEad, kiwijeff, 303racer and 34 others like this.
  2. nicely done, I do lost foam casting, play around with it. I made a clam shell the size of a soup can so I have a good head pressure on mold. I made it out of 3" pipe and a hinge and it has 2 handles, one on each half. when I pour through it. I hold it together with a radiator style clamp, when poured and set for a few minutes, I take the handle and break the whole thing off the sprue, then I can loosen clamp and open and drop out the nice alum plug for remelting later. Its a lot easier. sand casting I guess you can reuse your cans

3. Unique part for sure,like it.

4. cretin

cretin

Nice work.
    I've been wanting to try out some sand casting. Gotta get to it.

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

7. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

That is REAL nice!!!

8. oldolds

oldolds

We did and casting in high school metal shop. It was a fun experience.

9. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

That's awesome. Great job.

10. by chance did you cast your wind shield frame?

11. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The windshield frame is a Sellers piece that I bought from Pat on here.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those interested in trying some casting, petrobond is an oil based sand and gives great detail. The biggest downside of using it is that the smoke generated smells like a tire fire in the neighborhood.

13. belair

belair

14. floored

floored

That is too cool!

15. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work!....How about some pics of the rest of the cowl steering setup to show how it all goes together?

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great looking part! Thanks for sharing the project with us!

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

YES, it is !!!

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

Heck yeah!

That's a neat part.

Rich

19. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Love it, right nice bit of kit that. That 3D printer makes life a lot easier making the master I would think. Hmm, something else to go on the Christmas list .......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. >>the white stuff is talcum powder...

Of course it is.....

Saxman likes this.
  21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Fourspd
    Pretty cool stuff, have you ever looked in the ' Rubber Plaster Mold ' casting process as it is like lost wax but no wax
    You have two female plaster mold half's glued together, and that is it and your finish is almost as nice as lost wax investment casting

DND

22. Very unique piece,I would imagine you will get a few PM's about having a few made. HRP

23. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am using the mopar cowl steering setup similar to how Ratty55 and Dreadman did theirs, here is Ratty55's link
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-mopar-cowl-steering-inspired-by-dreadman.305256/
    Right now the steering system is mounted in the car but here are a few pics of what I can show as of now.
    IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    As I said nothing really new here, the mopar setup has been done and covered in the past, however I should mention that the location of the pitman shaft/arm exiting the cowl is exactly where I wanted it and the angle of the 18" steering wheel is very comfortable. Here is another pic of the finished blister centered and mocked up on the cowl.
    IMG_2410.JPG
    The pitman arm length is 7" center to center which matches the length of the steering arm. The steering link is parallel to the frame rail as seen here. IMG_2405.JPG

24. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTW thanks to everyone and their kind replies. Mostly everything I've learned about hot rods over the last 10 years has been due to this website, the people who run it and the great fabricators who share their talents. Thanks to all.

HemiDeuce and Nailhead Jason like this.
  25. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pitman arm fits the blister perfectly!....very well engineered!

26. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a very neat process since you are allowed to create features that would otherwise trap the part in the mold. The downside is the plaster is good for one shot only whereas the sand in sand casting is reusable indefinitely. With petrobond it only requires re-oiling also known as mulling after many uses, basically if it passes the squeeze test where you pick up a clump squeeze it in your fist and it holds together it is fine. IMG_0227_zpsa9905225.jpg

303racer and Barsteel like this.
  27. Bugguts

Bugguts

That is so cool and looks like a fun hobby. Thanks forgiving me something to try and do before I die.

28. CadTech

CadTech

awesome! if you decide to make another one pm me!