Register now to get rid of these ads!

San jose speed and chrome + gennie shifter = free s%^t

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gambino_Kustoms, Mar 19, 2010.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Alex, I would like to be in this if it is OK. I have this 50 Merc that I plan to getting it road worthy and so I can drive it to the Salina KS show this year.

This Merc has been sitting for 30 years in the woods here in upstate NY and I have known about it for the past 6 years and finally in October 2009 I was able to buy it from it's owner. I have always wanted a Merc and this is the only way I could afford one. Plus I like the idea of being able to safe it from the scrap yards.

My plan is to eventually chop it and drop it . I have a good running small block Ford with an AOD transmission for it and plan to put some 56 Cadillac wheels and tires on it.

The thing is I will get it running and driving first and then I will be focusing on the body and paint. The expected plan for this is to be painted a Black cherry color with a deep rich maroon color on the engine I also have a custom floating grille that I am designing for it. But like many things I am still building it in my head and can not wait to get it driving to have some fun with it. As for interior I think the shifter that you are so graciously putting up would be a very nice touch to this car.

Thanks Joe

Attached Files:

• 128.JPG
      128.JPG
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
  2. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Well count me in. 31 sedan, 32 frame, motor and trans are up for debate at this time, and a 9in rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Later, Bill

3. Huntfamily53

Huntfamily53
    from AZ

This whole mess started back in 2006 when I was perusing craigslist. I ran across an ad for a 1953 project truck. It wasn't a whole lot to look at, but you could see that there were some good things going for the ol' gal. everything was still pretty much stock with just some surface rust. There were some big things missing too though, like a bed, glass, wiring, grill, gravel pan, air deflectors, and who knows what else? "Ugh, looks like too much work...I will keep my eyes open for another project" I told myself.

Then again...I have always had an affinity for the mid-fifties ford trucks. My dad had a 1956 F100 when I was a kid. I don't remember much about that old truck...except it was red, fun to ride in, and that one late night it caught on fire. I remember waking up to watch my dad hopelessly trying to put it out with a weak-streamed garden hose that was just a few feet too short.:(

...Well, the ad stuck in my head and I would find myself checking a few times each day to see if it was erased or sold so I could let the idea of contacting the seller to take a closer look leave my mind for good. Well one day the ad disapeared..."guess it wasn't meant to be" I told myself... :( only for the ad to then re-appear a few months later. In my hillbilly head this meant I was granted another chance by the rust gods and I shouldn't let the opportunity slip by... :rolleyes: Also, my wife was out of town so I had plenty of time to bring it home uninterrupted :D

By this time, all the hundreds of things the truck needed had faded into the background behind visions of roadtrips, burnouts and cruising around getting "thumbs up" from envious fellas driving their gutless economy cars...I hauled her home that day and have been piecing her together since; as Johnny Cash sang, "one piece at a time."

She will eventually have a 351c and most likely a c4 trans with a Gennie Lo-stick attached? :p. We plan on shaving the driprails, rounding the door corners. Debating on modifying the dash...I haven't decided on paint (will likely be satin copper)? Smoothie rims, wide whites.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

351 Cleveland 2v before teardown...

[​IMG]
    My 12 y.o. working on the suspension.
    [​IMG]
    a few volunteers sanding the surface rust off the hood.
    [​IMG]

All my kids chip in and help, but my now 5 year old has a true hot rod heart. He keeps me motivated to get it done, begging me all the time to work on the truck or use some tool...It will be his truck eventually, I have decided.

Here he is at 2 years... smiling under the mask:
    [​IMG]

and here he is still sanding at 5 years old... still smiling:

[​IMG]
    frame work:
    [​IMG]
    smoothed front axle in copper hammertone finish:
    [​IMG]
    9"rear to match:
    [​IMG]
    That is where we are at today...just need to gather some more parts!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. Dude I love that copper hammertone!

5. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

Here is my 41 Coupe and the Concept

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hvychvy

hvychvy

Hopefully our mercs will meet there.I have the same plan,just not near as far of a drive:)

7. celticskull

celticskull

i hope i am i able to enter even thou im in australia
    anyway here goes . i used a gennie on my 32 was a great shifter and when i finaly fit the v8 and c4 in my a model will be using a gennie again would be nice to win one
    thanks for the chance

Attached Files:

8. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hey Alex. Thanks to you, San Jose Speed & Chrome, and the guys at Gennie Shifter for another great giveaway. Finally a stimulus package that makes sence!!! I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring if I may. I'm trying to get my 57 chevy carryall back on the road this spring/summer. I was finally able to buy it a couple years ago from my dad. He had it redone by a friend back in the first part of the 90's, and during the time it was down being redone...and some other issues, he lost interest in it. It sat untouched, unseen for 17 years in his barn!! He decided that he was going to sell it, as it wasn't doing anyone any good just laying in his barn.

I had always hoped that I'd be able to get this truck, as it was what we used to tow my stock car to the races when I first started racing at the age of 17. We use this truck for everything from family trips, to hauling race cars, to heading out west to bring back new projects. I was able to swing a deal with my dad, and now it's mine. My plans are to rewire it, drop the muncie four speed(need that for my dads gasser replica/tribute I plan to do) and put in a 700r4, probably a 406 sbc for motivation, and get the interior back into shape. I've picked up an old used set of chromies with baby moon caps to replace the 80's chrome spokes dad ran. I'm going to use it as my daily driver, shop truck, and hauler/tow rig. The Gennie shifter would work great in it!!! If this fits inside the rules, I'd be happy to make the list. Thanks again to you and those involved with bringing this great giveaway to the HAMB.

Oh yeah...I've got the dust/dirt washed off from it too!!!!

Al Larsen
    a.k.a. 333 Half Evil

Attached Files:

9. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

great save good luck your on the list

you get 2

great story good luck with the project yer in

you in ?
    yes you can you have to pay s & h if you win
    you get 2 chances

thanxs & good luck yer in

luck # 7

your in

10. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

QUALIFING MASTER LIST:

1. SpazTaztic *
    2. ratrod0
    3. sinks88
    4. 62ironhead *
    5. XxStrait-EdgexX
    6. Boyd Who *
    7. Big Mac *
    8. GEBHARD *
    9. I_be_moose *
    10. Zman *
    11. HOTRODPRIMER *
    12. Barn-core *
    13. Pinstriper40 *
    14. titus *
    15. Dynaflash_8 *
    16. Irish *
    17. adams27 *
    18. low springs
    19. 32 bowtie *
    20. Hooligan63
    21. hvychvy *
    22. chopt top kid *
    23. resqd37zep
    24. wayfarer *
    25. nashvegas99
    26. chev55
    27. djust *
    28. 6berry
    29. melsfine39
    30. moparhead *
    31. Chopperrides
    32. ace-k
    33. merlin *
    34. kustumkulture1951
    35. Verbal Kint *
    36. dabirdguy *
    37. dskustoms *
    38. 26Tudor
    39. magnuman *
    40. 55chieftan
    41. chevpickup *
    42. Do Good Jr. *
    43. Rusk
    44. Bull *
    45. greaser *
    46. cretin *
    47. dart165
    48. rustypipes
    49. Deluxe Detail
    50. Toast *
    51. 65PANELRAT
    52. Fullblast
    53. firemunkey *
    54. jchav62
    55. lockwoodkustoms
    56. novatattoo *
    57. Huntfamily53
    58. Hawiianstyle
    59. celticskull *
    60. 333 Half Evil

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  11. Here's my baby...54 chevy, still running the inliner, but she's been converted to a 700r4. made the stock shifter work, but i can't shift down to 1st, your shifter would rule my car!

well that and a bunch of your other stuff...but that's down the road a bit...

Attached Files:

12. I moved into a new place last summer. When we were driving through the neighborhood (before we bought), I noticed a cool looking old truck sitting outside in front of a house. I told my wife "hey look...Leah (my 12 year old) would love that".

Well, after we moved in, I was talking to a guy and asked him about the truck. He said "that thing has been sitting there for 2 years...I don't think he's started it in a long time. He wants to sell it".

So, I got his number and called him. He wanted to get rid of it and I said that if we can get it running, I'll buy it. 2 weeks later, we got it running and after dishing out a whopping $2,300...it was in my garage.

Here it is when I brought it home:
    [​IMG]

It was a bit of a mess, but structurally sound. It really just needed some attention to detail.

It has the original flathead 6 that was rated a whopping 87HP from the factory.
    [​IMG]

My daily driver is a 2005 Dodge Ram. It's a good truck, but I'm looking to get rid of it later this year. BUT, I use it to occasionally tow my 68 Camaro to track events. I really don't want to buy another new truck or large SUV....so I had a great idea. Do a v8 swap into the 52 Dodge.

So I found a 1957 Chrysler Industrial Hemi that should just fit.
    [​IMG]

The engine swap project will include a freshening up of the engine, a new transmission ( a new shifter will be needed), rear-end swap (need a stronger one to handle tow-duty, and a front-disc conversion ('cuz you gotta be able to stop).

I'm in the middle of the engine stuff now. Plans are to have the swap done by the end of this year. This is the first time I'm taking on a project of this magnitude...but I want to do as much of it on my own. Anyone can drop parts off at a shop and lay down some cash...I want to be able to say that I did this one.

13. Huntfamily53

Huntfamily53
    from AZ

It turned out cool...I love it too!

14. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Alex, Could you please throw my hat in the ring for the shifter drawing? This is my 53 Bel Air with a 235,Split exhaust,4 speed,10 bolt rear.
    Future plans are for Chrome steelies,Wide whites,Chrome bumpers and if I win the shifter I might be able to buy the guy leaning on my car a few shirts and maybe even beautify the nieghborhood a little bit!

Attached Files:

15. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So for my 30th, I decided it was time to finally get around to my goal of building my own ride. Prior to this, I had never done anything outside of checking fluid levels and swapping out tires. I have to give mad thanks to everyone here on the HAMB for all the knowledge you freely impart to folks. I ended up with a 50 Chevy Styleline that needed more help than I realized at first:

[​IMG]

After I got it, I then realized that the rear quarters had been constructed out of expandable foam with Bondo on the top, the rockers and door patches were riveted on galvanized steel with Bondo on top, and under the carpet was a floor panel held on by rivets and caulk! Let alone the Babbit 216 and EPIC FAIL brakes. After I got it home and realized this, my plans changed drastically, which drove me to this site, where I learned how to get it back on track. Luckily my neighbor gave me a used 283/Powerglide combo, along with a rebuilt th350 to swap out with the PG, for a sweet deal. SO...I tore into the car, removed the old engine/trans/driveline, put in a 2nd Gen Camaro rear, front discs, and ended up here:

[​IMG]

I freshened up the engine a little, new gaskets, check out everything, honed a cylinder where a dirtdobber had made a home, and threw some paint on it and the th350, and installed the whole shabang while it was snowing, by myself (I don't have a garage here in Jersey, so I work outside when it's nice....and even when it's not :p ). I was proud I got it in on my own...and didn't get killed. I know it's daily fodder for most of ya'll on here though. Here's that phase:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was right before I had to wrap it up for the winter. I just got back onto it again about a month ago, and I'm at the point of getting a new driveshaft, brake system, and getting her on the road. One of the first parts I bought (before I realized what I was in for) was a B&M Shifter about a year ago. I just opened the box and read the instructions yesterday (which is how I found this thread) and saw that every other sentence in the directions says that if I don't do X, Y, and Z right, then I'll destroy my trans on the *first* shift....WTH? I was looking for other guys who had dealt with this one before, and randomly found this thread. I now HAVE to get one of these shifters!

SO...my plans for the future of it are to graft in a 50 Merc grill/grill cavity that I got on charity from an awesome random old timer I met at Autozone. For paint, I want to dress her up in a satin charcoal gray with gloss orange worked into the body somehow (TBD) along with charcoal interior with slight bits of orange trim. Going to keep the whitewalls on there, along with some spider caps. I also want to chop the top about 3" and get the visor back on her :)

16. I am having problems with my shifter please help.

Attached Files:

17. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Ok..I need one also..need to replace the GM column shift with a Gennie
    Have the floor cut-out, motor in , now putting new tin on the floor...
    REALLY NEED THAT SHIFTER!!!

Attached Files:

18. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

yeah alex it's me

tony nis that you?
    no you guys keepem going!
    tony from gennie shifter guys

19. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Well this my first true total build. Was a tri-five guy but sold the 57 Nomad and dove in. Began to strip the body a couple weeks ago and am peeling the 29 coupes evil bondo in chunks. Had a 283 & TH350 already so the budget is to stick with those at the moment. I planned on the swan shifter but it sure would be cool to be able to switch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  20. I am building my first car. It is a 1928 Model A sport coupe pretending to be a roadster. It sits on a Street Rod Manufacturing frame, and has a small block 350 with a TH350 transmission followed by an Oldsmobile rear axle. I hope to finish it before I graduate this year, and having this shifter would really help me accomplish that goal.

Attached Files:

21. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

alex, im on the wrong computer to load up pics again...but i could use one for my 53 or the coupe....ill try and get a pic on here when im on the home pc.......

22. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Finally Got the ride I always wanted. An all steel 1928 Ford Sedan. Just had to replace the 327 with a cracked block to a newer 350. But should have it ready to go this summer. I hate to use the word "old school" but that is what I wanted to pull off.... missed some of the 60's because old Uncle Sam shipped me off to across the pond and I wanted something to relive the days I missed.

Attached Files:

23. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'll give it a try, I could us a shifter. Building my 55 Plymouth. These are the mods I plan to do,(if I can get the time and money together) grill, 53 chevy tooth grill, w/ extra teeth, 56 Chevy headlight eyebrows, 55 packard taillights, molded in. Dual frenched antennas. 15" supreme wheels on thin whitewall tires. 440 engine, w/ 4 speed trans., and round it off with red rolled and pleat interior. Body will be painted black on bottom, with a white top with silver metalflake in the clear.

Attached Files:

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Long story short.

Dad buys and build this 34 ford truck in early 70's. House fire--gas tank explodes waking the fam and saving baby me. Dad sells, buys and sells truck several times then looses it. When I'm 12 it re surfaces and I re-build it as my first car. Sell it while away at college, then buy and sell it a couple more times. It finally pops up again 2 years ago. Bought it back for FOR THE LAST TIME.

This time I know better what I'm doing and what I want. Will be a slow process, but it will be right this time. Been collecting parts and pieces for the build. New ASC rails (others were trash), front fender, dropped 32 heavy with 40 bones, ISO caddy 390, rear spring are 31 chevy front end etc. started chassis build in November (on my high tech chassis table/jig), it's pretty near a roller now. I plan to pass this along to my kids (see photo for sappy content).

I'm too fat to work 3 pedals in a vehicle this small--a way to change the gears on an AT would be nice :)

Attached Files:

25. Deadbird

Deadbird

Count me in. My project is a 54 Chevy sedan delivery. Thought I'd stick with the straight six but I'm waffling. I want to make this one a long hauler, with heat, AC and comfy seats. Something the wife will ride in. :D Needless to say, it's a long term project, unless someone wants it more than me. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

26. Here is my 32. Although it looks finished its never really done. I am always trying to change something. It equipped with a Lokar shifter which I would love to switch out because it won't stay in gear. If I hit a bump it falls down into 2nd gear. Not cool at 75 MPH! Thanks Alex, San Jose speed & chrome and Gennie for a great give away.

Attached Files:

27. Oh hells yea!

Here is my dreamboat. '50 Cheby Cdan.

[​IMG]

Currently it's got a 200r4 that's toast so there is a 700r4 sitting in the shed that's going in next.
    I haven't had much luck getting the column shiffter to work all the way down into 1st, cause the lever hit's the head LOL

Right now it's bagged on a bitchn' camaro sub, GM 4 link out of a cadi, Poncho 350 w/ 400 heads and headers. The lake pipes are functional :p
    The current plan is epoxy primer by the end of this summer, and the final color may or may not be dark green metalic.

This POS started off as a hack job chop with 5/8" of bondo. All winter was shot redoing the back window, pancaking the trunk and fixing rust holes. Yup, no paint left on the roof [sigh]

That shifter would be TITS!
    Thanks for the chance mang!
    Thommy

28. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Thommy,

Man....I've watched you labor over this thing....I know this isn't a voting thread....but you DESERVE one of these things, man!!!! I've followed you through what you've done to this thing....labor of LOVE.

29. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thanks for a chance at this cool shifter!

It would be put in the 40 chevy truck I'm currently working on. My last build included the "other" brand of shifter, but I already deceided to go with a Gennie this time. It would be awesome to win this, but even if I don't, I will be buying one anyway.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      434.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      327.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg