Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salvaging the "un-restorable"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Heres my 34 tudor. I bought this late this summer. It was a parts car for a street rod shop. The last 2 pics is the car a couple weeks ago going to a shop to get a little work done.

Attached Files:

2. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

This is the perfect thread for this...I was going to post it as 'trash or treasure' Here's the infamous 32 Cabriolet from the Mitchell auction. The last pic is after we started digging it out from under the barn. I should have taken a pic before we pulled of the boards, but was too excited. Just picture 6" of the rear quarters and the crossmember visoble. That was it...Boy is it rough though.
    Really, I think I bought a great chassis and the body was a bonus...Any thoughts on how to build it? Mother nature already started on the channel job!

Attached Files:

3. y block

y block
    from kcmo

sweet-hope you leave it that way- bullet holes and all!

4. pittsburgholdschooler

pittsburgholdschooler

You didnt happen to get that merc from the Turack auction in Delmont, Pa didja?

5. There's a lotta guys on here that could learn a thing or two from this thread.

6. Fe26

Fe26

I'm awestruck, grateful and inspired.....Thank You.

7. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

No,I got it out of a small yard in Stroudsburg,Pa. in 1989. :)

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I saved this one from the crusher- bottom 6 inches were rusted away... ... A 60 4dr hdtp gave up its life for it though... and an 87 buick wagon....

Attached Files:

• P.jpg
      P.jpg
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  9. noisey

noisey
    from central ok

one of my rust buckets

Attached Files:

10. john56h

john56h

Saw this Airflow at a local car show....owner has no intentions of restoring it. I think he said it was his grandfather's

[​IMG]

11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont know why I couldnt find a less damaged econoline, but this has been a fun project!

12. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

tmpphpVLH8ih.jpg Here is what I started with,a parts truck off of dare I say... ebay

tmpphpwutmEi.jpg

tmpphpXE4sf0.jpg Here it is at the Hunnert a 1900 mile round trip.Another "Junk" car out having fun.

13. NealinCA

NealinCA

Here's my brother's $10 pickup...

[​IMG]

Built into this...

[​IMG]

Here is my pile that I bought for $75.

[​IMG]

It's not done, but I think it's saved...

[​IMG]

Neal

14. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

here is my before hopefully my after will look as good as the above as I am going the same route. and i mean my car is the same original color and everything. most might think this car is totally restorable but my car needs floorpans and many other rust repairs. most would find a better car. but with my skill level and since I havent done this type or repair before it is quite a daunting task and have seriously thought about giving up on it.
    [​IMG]

15. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Here's my 37 before and after--had a junk Ford small-block welded in kinda sideways--guy said he'd sell me the motor and trans then crush the rest--a ton of restorer-types looked at it and said"crush it--no good for anything".
    My 29 roadster--before and after-- was a just a pile of cast-off parts from about 5 or 6 other projects--everybody said the stuff was just good for parts.

Attached Files:

16. Rizhto

Rizhto

My whole project is based on the idea of collecting the abandoned miscellaneous parts of -28'ish Chevy and building a some sort of speedster/roadster out of them. I have just started to collect the parts, so I don't have any progress to show yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. omr007

omr007

Not really a jalopy as such, however these split screens a getting very very rare here in OZ.
    This old girl deserves a bit of love and affection :cool:

Attached Files:

18. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Where the hell is that thing in Brisbane? in the Wivenhoe dam? :D

19. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

My roadster ended it's "last' life as a dirt track roadster before being abandoned under a hedge for many years...it's the same model as yours and i actually retrieved a better firewall from a relic in the OZ bush,with the aid of a oxy torch.But what is that thing on the front of the engine?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

Shiferton, I've already heard that crap from restores on my 16 Dodge roadster. I looked into restoring it before I started whacking on it, it would cost four to five times what the car was worth to restore it to original, and then I wouldn't even have a car capable of speeds needed to enjoy it on the road! I'm also going as MoPar as posible in my build, with built 318/727/8-3/4, dash mounted shifter from a 68 truck, the only non MoPar parts so far are the Ford front axle and the 65 GrandPrix colume

21. Rizhto

Rizhto

For Mercmad:

I knew somebody will ask this. It was a quiz to me too. The thing is (or was told to be) a Fairbanks&Morse centrifugal governor. This engine is been turned to stationary engine to run the thresher. It is also been turned to run with kerosene instead of gasoline.

22. I wouldn't restore this either. That is so "out-of-the-past" I would keep it for the shock value alone.

23. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Now I look at it ,your right,it's a big governor though,looks to have been adapted from something much larger. An industrial acheologist would find a good home for that.
    [​IMG]

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Just rediscovered this thread from a year ago. To refresh anyone's memory, I'd hoped this 29 chrysler would be "making noise by fall". Running a bit behind schedule but well worth the wait.

Then
    [​IMG]

Now (date on the photos are almost exactly one year apart)
    Hand made frame, floor, and doors..........So bring it on ignorant restorers, the only thing cut up here is tubing and sheet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jimmyv

jimmyv

A friend of mine has this Caddy. He wants to sell it. I am wondering if it's worth saving and how much to offer. It's pretty rusted around the bottom. Still has the engine, trans, and all the interior. No bumpers, hood, grill of much of any trim/chrome.

Attached Files:

26. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

the truck was setting on a wood frame and a wood bed fell apart on the 8 hour trip home. but put it back together and already sold

Attached Files:

27. 8flat

8flat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Great Grandfather bought this as a used car in 1935...I found it 3 years ago on his original homestead and drug it home...

Attached Files:

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Damn!:eek: I would say less than what he is asking.
    I want to see it if/when you get it done:cool:

29. flamedabone

flamedabone

Man, I thought I drug home some junk, but some of you guys brought home some JUNK!!!!!

Here are my last three...Henry J.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Stude.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have posted this one before. The Merc was a piece of shit...
    [​IMG]

She is about 75% done now.
    [​IMG]

-Abone.