Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt in Carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltracer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. saltracer

saltracer

We ran an open scoop at Bonneville this year and probably when towing the car around we got some salt in the carb. No big deal, I figure just wash out the carbs later. Well, it must have rusted just a little on the butterfly shafts and I not quit sure how to remove the rust without doing more damage. I've soaked the bases for weeks in carb cleaner to no avail.

2. oj

oj

Easier to replace butterflies than salvage. I have tried the salvage route and the tool blacking used to coat them is a bit of a pain. A new set of holly blades costs under $20, likey less than 15.
    I have spare sets of holly and if that is what you need or have a hard time finding them give me a pm and i'll send you some. oj

3. why are you using a carb cleaner? wouldn't a rust remover like WD40 be better?

4. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

You might have success soaking the bases in very hot water to dissolve the salt. Then applying WD40 or Marvel oil to free them up, it might be necessary to remove the shafts to finish clean the bores so they don't freeze up again. Throttles never stick at idle, only wide open! I had to make a plug for my scoop to keep the salt out while towing back to the pits.

5. saltracer

saltracer

tried WD-40, LPS #2, Liquid Wrench. Seems the really close tolerance between the shaft and the base is the problem area.

6. Larry T

Larry T

Drop the bases in some naval jelly.
    Larry T

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

Its easier to replace than to try and fight Bonneville salt. I forgot to seal off the sidecar wheel fairing this year and when I got home I found I had 21 lbs of salt packed into the fairing.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Good excuse to spring for that fuel injection you been wanting

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd try some CRL from the hardware store if it's only surface rust followed by some penetrating oil.