Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Salt Flats Speed Shop Orum Utah

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vics stuff, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Well Guys. Back in the winter I was looking for the guy who converted the rear of a 33 tudor sedan to a Vicky.
    I was given Chris Davenports contact number and so I had called him. Was a pleasant individual to converse with. I told him that I was wanting do a conversion like he had previously had done to a 33 sedan.
    I had purchased a 34 tudor from a guy in Ontario Canada and had it shipped to a place in Buffalo New York , there a close friend of mine picked up the body and moved it to Minneapolis Minnesota . There , I drove down on a freight hauling trip and picked up the 34 body and delivered it to Chris Davenports Salt Flats Speed Shop . Got a short tour of his shop and we discussed what I had planned for him to do to the body.
    Chris is a real talented metal shaper . He is a 1 man band and had total control of his work. I just left it there with instructions and will see how it turns out.
    I will post some before pics and when it is done at his shop will get some more posted on this forum.
    Vic

Tim likes this.
  2. brady1929

brady1929

Hurry up with the pics please!

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

truth be known...chris doesn't actually do any work at his shop...he has a bunch of little gnomes

4. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Chris is good people.

-Brent- likes this.

5. Chris seemed to be a great modest young builder. When I showed up in front of his shop with my semi . He came out and greeted me on the driver side running board. I was shocked to see such a young guy doing this old school body work. I had envisioned him as being like the rest of us old grey haires but refreshing to know that there are some younger people into this hobby and even fewer trying to make a living at it.
    I think that Chris will do well at what he likes to do.

goboy33 likes this.
  6. Is this a mis-gnomer?

Tim, firstinsteele and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. sorry for the redundancy in pics. This is my first attempt at posting pictures on this forum.
    Chris will rework the entire rear section of the body to make it a Vicky. He will also reskin the doors , replace the cut out section of the cowl lights and repair rocker panels.
    Vic

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to have to follow this one to see where it goes. It looks like you too him something pretty solid to work with as far as body goes.

10. Mr48chev Yes Chris was pleased that I had brought him a rather solid car to start with and he is going to have a local computer business scan the back of my car , so he can make up body panels off my body to a Vicky. He had done one a few years back and never seen it after wards . He indicated that he needed a good body to start the process off with. I hope it turns out like his first body conversion.

My car had no body cancer anywhere and still had original paint .
    The previous owner was going to chop the top. I told him when the deal was done that I was going to convert this to a 33 Vicky with un choped top.

11. when I was looking for a sedan , I was hoping to find a real decent one to make the conversion to. This 34 was a bit on the expensive side but with the condition of the sheet metal , I felt that it was worth it.

12. Did this build die????? sure would like to see what Chris is up to with it.......

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Did you get the trunk with the deal ? Might have been a Potter ...

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The OP was on the board yesterday, hopefully updates will soon follow?

15. verde742

verde742

tudor is more desirable than a Vicky according to resale..

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I will see if its still there. Stopping by there next Wednesday on our way to the Grand National Roadster show with my pops Av8.

17. Hey Guys ! The car project is underway. The last contact with Chris was that the body had been media blasted and he was getting ready to start the wooden buck for the rear sheet metal fittment. I am sorry that I have not posted any progress because I was not able to find this forum. I would like to try to keep all informed . Rusty Rocket while there you could maybe get a few pics of my car to post on here also. I have not seen any pics while it has been there at his shop. Do not want to be a bother to him either calling on a regular basis.
    302GMC no this was not a potter trunk model.
    I figure that Chris will have this body for about a year to do all the stuff that he is going to do.
    Vic

18. Al little more update on this project. I stumbled on a small repop facility out of Mississippi called Nottingham Reproductions. They reproduce the 33 Ford grill in bare steel or can opt for the chrome treatment. I pulled the trigger and bought a chromed version. After I looked for a while at other grills and parts to complete the outer shell that I have , I did realize that I was going to have a lot more $$$$$ in fixing up the original shell then buying a new one. I have to say that the grill looks fantastic and will look great on my car. I have purchased several sets of rear original fenders in hoping that I would eventually find some real nice ones. Based on the sellers pics the fenders all seemed to be decent to start with but like always when they arrive they are not as nice as described. Planned to buy repop front and rears but have held off so far. Waiting until I get the body back unless I find a deal on some . If someone has a nice set for a reasonable cost I am interested.
    Vic

19. Here is my car on the rear of my trailer headed to Salt Flats Speed Shop

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  20. alchemy

alchemy

Are you going to have the rear of the body resemble a 33 or a 34 Vicky? Lots of difference. Personally I like the grille to match the body. (Yes I have a little bit of restorer in my system)

21. alchemy Yes It is being converted to a 33 and the grill also is a 33. The only thing that will give this build away is the 34 doors. I am also a stickler for detail and a little restorer also.

22. alchemy

alchemy

Fixing the doors would be the easiest modification on your list. ;)

23. Correct but I do like the fact that the windows move rearward for ventilation. Kinda a cool feature.
    Vic

Do you know how to keep this forum on the front page for others to see ?

24. Threads get bumped back to the top as they are replied to. No replies or updates, they sink fast. If you haven't been around for awhile and want to find it, you can click on the search button, then click in the lower right corner. You can search for your own threads or posts there.

Curious to know where in Ontario this came from. There was one for sale in Niagara last summer, I drove past it sitting in a driveway. My wife asked if I was going to pull in and look, I said "you don't really want me to do that do you? If I do it's going to end up at our place", she said "keep driving". :D Same car or not, it looks like this one's in good hands.

25. This car came from Waterdown Ontario. The owner bought it as a father and son project but apparently these two guys are real big boys and after realizing that they were to large to both fit in that car. They ended up buying a early 60's Cadillac.

26. Don't think it's the one I saw for sale, but still pretty much in my backyard. Hard to find anything around here with decent sheet metal that hasn't been completely molested. Keep us posted with your progress.

27. I do not know how long the previous owner had the car but someone before him had built the drive train and marked off the roof for chopping . I do believe that this car was ever back on the road with any of the drive train mods done to it. He indicated that this car came from Alberta Canada , I think that is why this body is in the condition that it is in. I plan to put a LS3 motor with a 4L60E transmission with a Heits Supper Ride III IFS. Full fender car . That is what I have under my 32 3 window Ford and really like the set up.

28. Project update. Received a e mail from Chris today. The body is 3/4 media stripped. The stripper got rained out and will be going back over to them soon to finish up the process. Chris had been busy on another customers car and will be wrapping it up in the next 2 weeks , then he is on mine . I asked for some pics when he gets the car back from the blaster so I have a record of all the work being done to the car. Will post as I receive them.
    Vic

29. Anything going on with this?