Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt flat special... ed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammerndollie, Apr 11, 2007.

1. JC enterprises made a water cooled head but it was not allowed for VW racing. For me the fun comes from taking an engine produced in 1938 and pushing its limits. Sure there are more capiable powerplants but I like the old design. I have kicked around V-8 stuff for awhile but if I got serious about V-8's I would be a flat headder old powerplants that whop ass on the new stuff is the most fun for me. I had a guy with a blown 350 kick his car because he got beat by a VW with a turbo at the track. That is just the way I am.

2. tjm73

tjm73

HA HA!!! That made me laugh out loud. :D

3. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

ahhh jesus.. more kraut car talk... there should be another message board for all this progressive dare to be different talk..

you people realize that no matter if youre using all the same parts as some one else, your car is still going to be different right??? im sick of pussies using the excuse that they dont want there shit looking like everyone elses. you dont have to use all this shit that, yea might be interesting to make work, but ultimately is still going to be an abortion.

4. Actualy it happens that that I have a 400+ hp vw motor laying around that fits into the F blown class so if you think that is an excuse fine can I borrow your 400 hp ______ engine that fits in the f gas class and will fit in to a belly tank. If so I can be able to pick it up any time If not STFU. I came here because I can talk about Belly tanks without getting a blank stare. I didnt come here to talk about powerplants and how they might offend some ones sensibility. If a 1938 designed and put into production engine is not "traditional" enough for you fine lets not talk about the powerplant. I want to know about the SCTA and belly tank locating and that stuff. Can you contribute?

Have a nice day

5. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

F Class is really two classes in one. It's an oversight to not have a break at 2500 cc.

rj
    ----------------
    not a 23 yr old legend

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every now and then this board is a positive place with great input which is constructive and stays on topic. This post isnt one of those moments.

Over on volksrods there was an aussie guy fitting suburu heads (I think) to a VW mill but thats all I can recall.

Keep up the faith, plenty of guys here are ex or current VW owners and you are talking about racing on the salt in a belly tank- thats pretty trad to me.

7. I am floored the record for that class is so low The only thing I can think of is nobody has looked at it or that any engine that fits is either smaller or v-8 and much bigger. If I can find a tank and fit every thing in and all the little stuff I think I might have a prayer I have done 145mph in the 1/4 on a regular bassis. So if I can build something that can handle the speeds I might have a shot, before sombody makes a stroker Ecotech or somthing else. Especialy because I am comming in on the low side of F class @ 2.75L

Dan

8. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Build a long 'formula vee' like I suggested in my earlier post. Using a tank will probably cost you an extra year finding all the parts and dealing with the more complex fabrication problems. Also, a formula style car will be much easier to work on in the future.

From everything I have read the first time you go you should detune the heck out of your motor. The Bonneville gods can be harsh on newbies.

9. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hahaha yes.. just talking about racing at b-ville is ohh sooo trad. hahaha christ, why dont we start letting people talk about putting a 2003 mazda motor in a lakes car too? or hey how bout an acura powered dragster?! ppsshhh fuckin jokers.

10. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Below is a first drawing I did a couple of years ago. 2x3 main rails. This drawing has a VW beam because it saves months of time. The back end is not to scale as I didn't have parts to measure.

.040" alum nearly flat body panels dzus'ed on. A nice hammered and english wheeled alum nose section would be the only splurge.

On a tank even jacking it up is a pita or else you have to design in recepticles to accept slide-in jack plates. With a 2x3 rail at the bottom you just jack it up.

[​IMG]

rj
    ---------------
    Was I that stupid at 23 ???

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you notice the F unblown gas lakester record is 229.989. Just not much action in that class. We ran 195 at El Mirage in F/BGS and 231 in F/ FS at Bonneville. If you want some 3 liter Nissans drop by.

12. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Yeah, makes a VW sound like the hot tip ,,,,,,,, NOT.

When the V6 300 ZX's first became eligible for IT all the 280 guys said they would be too heavy, etc. I did a cage for the first one and they won the championship their first year with the car. Damn thing was a jet down the back straight at Road Atlanta.

13. Purpose built race cars for Bonneville
    not "Traditional" enough for you ? :rolleyes:

14. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

nope! im a stubborn ass hole! i like things the way they were. why ruin a good thing?

15. Your drawing looks a lot like mine except I think my head is going to be in the wind due to tank size but faired comming down off the back of the cage. I am wating for the book to go any further It needs to be a Spec car so any thing I draw with out the book right now is a wild ass guess. I was also planning for using the Stock beam up front and IRS tortion housing out back. as you said saves months and I just happen to have both, Along with a shoebox straight axel my buddy would part with. for me it initaly looks to be like building a NHRA G dragster inside a pipe. I got a lead on some WW2 tanks but I don't know missed the boat twice already so my hopes are not all thet high.

16. Sometimes there is a good reason why people don't use
    certain parts,even if they are legal,and the price is right.

Streamlining the tubes will help,
    but you are still adding extra frontal area.

Anything hanging out in the breeze slows you down.

17. At least we agree on one thing.[​IMG]

18. Check the DLRA site,they have their rules online.

Their rules are based on the SCTA rules,so they will get you started.

19. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

What are you thinking about using for a transaxle ?? You are going to need some tall gearing.

20. I talked with my Tranny guy and we figured that with the LSR 25 " tires and a 3.44 RP and the rest of the gear stack that should be around 200ish MPH @ 7000 Rpm so that puts my motor @ the top of the powerband for me if they made a 28" LSR tire I would e much better off and could run lower RPM but the only thing I found was 25" tires. It would be set up mid engine and no spool we would keep the diff so if I break an axle I don't take a 90 degree turn. all and all te trans should cost about $1000 which is much cheaper than a drag box but there is no shock loading on it so the fab is easier.

Unkle Ian thanks for the tip going to check them out now

Dan

21. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

You might reconsider the swingaxle set up. Simple tubular radius rods running to the rear. Simple pushrods from the end of the axle tube to a rocker under the body work. Coil overs there. With skinny lsr tires the swingaxle suspension doesn't cause much rear steer.

I think the gearbox loading will be higher than you are thinking. You are wide open for a long period of time and the car will be fairly heavy for traction. You might want to pump some lube right to the R&P meshing area.

22. IIRC,the Type 1 motor is too wide for the P38 tank.
    So you would need extra streamlining.

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

24. All this talk about making a vw motor fit is crazy!!!!
    What you need is a slant six it will fit the curve of the tank much better!!!! LMFAO here.
    Seriously as a recovering vw addict I think its a great idea. If a 1914cc carbed motor could take my bus to over 85mph, thats chp certified if you dought me, it could probably haul some serious ass it a belly tank with the right gears tires etc.... good luck

25. The rules were not as bad as I thought much laxer than NHRA in a lot of areas Question to the guys that have been there.

So with the rules lax and not to specific does that mean that you have to "guess what the tech guys want" and do you have to know a secret handshake and that type of BS or is it pretty straight forward if you don't try and pawn off a hack job? A 800 mile trip to find out that I dont make tech would suck.

Dan

Still need a tank got snaked again on a P-47 2 tank hacked up set this is starting to urk me 3 times i've lost out.
    :mad:

26. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Look into a Webster 5 speed conversion for a VW IRS gear box, might work I don't know.

Craig

27. GlenC

GlenC

Someone else has mentioned it, but have you thought of running the engine front-back rather than side-side? This would completely eliminate the width problem with the engine, and you could run a belt/chain drive to a Harley or similar gearbox and then a belt/chain drive to a rear axle like a trike. You'd get unlimited rear end ratios simply by changing the back sprocket, and without the extra weight of a passenger car style rear end too.

I've often wondered about this sort of setup with a drag bike, I know they use the Subaru engines in this configuration in sand drag bikes downunder.

Cheers, Glen.

28. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Hey Brandon, looks like you have plenty of people interested! I wish I were still in the neighborhood... I have a guy with a tank in touch with me, I'll forward the info. Later Brother

29. I tries getting clarification on some rules,for Competition Coupe,
    by posting on the Landspeed.com forums. Didn't get too far.

Hopefully,you would get more help dealing
    directly with the right people at SCTA.