Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt flat special... ed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammerndollie, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

To be fair, most all racing assn. have a "equalizing" factor for rotarys but 3x seems kinda high to me, but then I don't really follow the rotary stuff too much.

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Not to naysay, as I think it's a cool idea, but have any of you seen Nebulous Theorum II (sp?)?

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes, as well as all the other Nebs. What about it?

4. SO I was outbid on the F-15 tank in AK so I am still a tank searcher.

I crunched some numbers with my tranny builder buddy and I can get 200-225mph @ 7000 rpm with the 25"LSR tires so that is workable from the engine stand point. The rule book is on the way.

The FBGL record is 190 (minimum) so there might be hope yet for this project if i can find a tank The only other one I found is a P-51 but I think it is too small 10' by 28" not enough room to get a 95"wb and fit all the stuff in.

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

WELL!
    As life would have it... Mike (hammerdollie) move to Colorado to take advantage of a once in a life time offer.So the project is put on a hault! I personally am still looking to meet my dream of the SALT! If it means going and sleeping on the ground( done that AHDRA NITRO HARLEy). I am dead set on doing this, be it tuning, or driving, or watching, I will plan on going in 08.. Anybody need an extra set of hands contact me. I am ready and willing to donate my time to help anybody any way I can...Thanks to everyone for there input, it was not wasted...Ryan

6. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

DAMN GO FOR IT. The safty is what cost the Big $$ and the Fun is cheap!!!

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

Just thought he should be aware what's out there. Still think it's a neat idea, just not really fair to him if he's not aware.

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Bummer.:(

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Neb 2 is a Streamliner. Different from a Lakester.... At least in the '07 record book the F/BGL is 158.399. There are no minimums at Bonneville.

10. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yes, I was refering to the powerplant. I though I had mentioned it, but in looking back at my post it didn't make it to the keyboard (doh).

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

If I can find another partner/partners in crime I would still love to do this, just seems no one in my neck of the wood's wants too! Anybody interested??

12. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Rich is correct about the speeds. The 190 minimum quoted earlier is an El Mirage minimum. The Nebs do not compeye in the lakester classes. A lakester with a big, 1500cc, 'busa will be flat ass fast.

DW

13. nexxussian

nexxussian

My point Exzachary. I'll blame it on the cold medicine I've been taking (yea shure that's it:rolleyes:) and being sick for my evident inability to articulate that.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes a Lakester with a 'Busa will be fast, but it won't be in "F" class with this guys VW powered tank. So he's OK there. Lots of pretty neat twin cam four or more valve motors around for "F"..... By the way, Jack plans to have Neb 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 on the salt for speed week this year. That leaves Neb 1 at home. On his roof. It was a front wheel drive rear wheel steer 'liner. Didn't work. The body is pretty slick and maybe someone could use it for a Lakester. Let me know and I'll ask Jack.

15. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Rich,

A little birdie told me that Rick Yacoucci can build a F 'busa. I don't know details.

DW

16. <table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="80&#37;"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="15%">AA</td> <td width="45%">501 cid and over</td> <td width="40%">8.21 liters and over</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">A</td> <td width="45%">440 thru 500 </td> <td width="40%">7.21 to 8.19</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">B</td> <td width="45%">373 thru 439</td> <td width="40%">6.11 to 7.19</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">C</td> <td width="45%">306 thru 372</td> <td width="40%">5.01 to 6.10</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">D</td> <td width="45%">261 thru 305</td> <td width="40%">4.27 to 5.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">E</td> <td width="45%">184 thru 260</td> <td width="40%">3.01 to 4.26</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">F</td> <td width="45%">123 thru 183</td> <td width="40%">2.01 to 3.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">G</td> <td width="45%"> 93 thru 122</td> <td width="40%">1.51 to 2.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">H</td> <td width="45%"> 62 thru 92</td> <td width="40%">1.01 to 1.50</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">I</td> <td width="45%"> 46 thru 61</td> <td width="40%">0.76 to 1.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">J</td> <td width="45%"> 31 thru 45</td> <td width="40%">0.51 to 0.75</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="15%">K</td> <td width="45%"> 30 cid and under</td> <td width="40%">0.50 and under</td></tr></tbody></table>
    If you really want to run F,couple two bike motors together.

17. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Section 2.A states "Only Streamliners and Unlimited Diesel Trucks may use more than one engine at the same time." Wayno

18. Yeah,that's right.
    So mount the heads and barrels on a common crankcase,
    like the old Sesco V8.

I think someone is Europe is doing that,as a short run production motor.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

20. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

...couldn't agree more.....I love everything that goes to the salt , well nearly ....but I won't be telling you what I do and don't , likewise if you don't like our ride by all means tell us , we'll look like we're listening;)....anyway....

our race meet has been cancelled two years running so we've been a bit short on development time however this year we put this.....all alloy quad varicam
    [​IMG]

in this...

[​IMG]
    we are of course sticking firmly to the tradition of putting motors that go in smooth bodies........

"...you cats in the Be-bop hats , yo livin' waaaay in the past..." Jimi Hendrix

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Dan; I was hoping not to hear about tag engines ever again. I think Rick bored and stroked the "Busa to it's practical limits to make "G". I don't see how he could find another half liter in there. Anyway I understand that Jim True will have 2 back this year with Honda power and Rick will be running 3 with a flathead. Should be interesting.

22. tjm73

tjm73

23. saltracer

saltracer

24. So THe rule book is on the way the search for a tank continues but I had a question.

When they Talk about Fuel I take that to mean Alcohol nitro methane and all of that.

When they talk about Gas is that pump gas or all race fuels in the Gas category like NHRA for example C-16 C-14 etc.?

Dan

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Gas is race gas supplied by ERC at the salt. Rick has many blends of race gas, most use 110. ERC has a web page and you can call Rick for any information you need about fuels and spark plugs. When running for record you must use ERC gas.

26. For the "Gas" class,you run the Gasoline supplied by ERC,
    and the inspectors seal the tank.

Everything else counts as "Fuel",including NOS.
    IIRC.

27. Dang N20 Counts as fuel I was hoping to use that to cool off the motor a 20 shot after the turbo lowers head temps about 50 deg well I will have to use water injection then. I will have to contact ERC I need more potent than 110 I normaly run C-16 which is about 130 so I dont detonate with 20+ pounds of boost.

Thanks for the help gang.

28. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

On the Volkswagen theme, I find it amazing that with all the aftermarket heads, cylinders, cases, cranks, etc that no one has made liquid cooled heads, ohc heads, multi valve heads, or a combo of all 3 !!! How about a DOHC, 4 valve, liquid cooled heads with all alum, plated bore, air cooled bbls?

29. Subaru heads can be adapted to a Type 1 VW block.
    Same bore spacing.I think they come in 2 and 4 valve.

But it makes more sense to run the Subaru block.
    The block is probably stiffer than the original German
    cases,and they use 5 main bearings,IIRC.

30. Paul Y

Paul Y

The Busa engine you refered to was installed in a Radical and set the new lap record at the 'Ring in late 05

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/02/09/hayabusa-v8-engine/

If it can pound round there all day it should be plenty reliable enough for LSR, well I would hope so...

Someone else mentioned the Subaru engine. I must admit that this would be my route, I understand that the US version comes with a 2.5l version which should be able to create some big numbers without too much stress.

As for water cooled 4 valve heads I am sure there is enough engineering experiance on the board to modify a Porsche 996 head. If you took an early 3.4 motor the head should be the right 'size' bore wise for a 2l + VW motor. Mind you when you start getting into this sort of territory I think the word 'fun' might get replaced with the word 'cash'.

Interested to see where this one goes.

P.