Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt Cured HAMB Tour '07.......Tour Stops & Schedule of Events

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well our little group finally decided on a name and a route to and from the Salt for Speed Week. There will be four HAMB members in three topless cars......me, ChevyGirlRox, OldBobSign and Ralfs56.

I thought we would share our route and the stops with planned Meet & Greets so that if anyone would like to join us they could. We are all really looking forward to seeing old friends and making new so please don't be shy about joining us at a stop or a cruz down the highway.

If anyone has something along our route that we really shouldn't miss, please let us know. If your shop or garage is along our route and you wouldn't mind some vistors, please let us know. Our plan is to take it alittle slow and see some places, meet some people and just enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of our great country in our open cars.

Without further ado our tour stops are as follows

Friday nite Aug 3rd....Hot Rod Chassis
    Our group should be there around 7pm or so depending on traffic. We're really looking forward to visiting the shop as none of us have been there yet.
    Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle
    59 Factory Rd
    Addison, IL 60101
    630-458-0808
    Addison, IL

Saturday evening Aug 4th......Retro Rocket
    Our group will be there by 5 pm-ish. There will be grilled chicken, sides and ice cold beverages for all. Can't wait to check out Larry AKA; Sololobo's store in person as I have a few treasures already from it and meet the rest of his club brothers. We hope lots of our Omaha HAMB pals can make it out.
    Retro Rocket
    Omaha, NE
    402-679-1739

Directions:
    480 to the Quest Center/Eppley Airfield exit
    stay left for a left turn at the first light, 10th. st.,
    go 4 stoplights to Jackson st., turn right.
    go 2 stop signs to 12th. st., turn left.
    go 1/2 block downhill to alley.

Sunday, Aug 5th, noonish
    Speedway Motors Museum and lunch

If anyone has an interesting place in the area for a lunch stop after we tour the museum, please let us know.

Sunday night Aug 5th, evening stop
    ColoRODo Springs, CO
    We don't have any plans to meet up with anyone so if someone has a suggestion for a Meet & Greet spot for dinner and bench racing, let us know.

Monday night Aug 6th, evening stop Durango, CO
    I don't think we have any active HAMB folks in this area but if so, lets get together

Tuesday noonish Aug 7th, Silverton for lunch and shopping via the train. Anyone in that area?

Tuesday Aug 7th evening stop, Blanding, UT

Wed Aug 8th another day and evening in Blanding, UT
    Meeting up with lots of HAMB and RRT folks for a couple of days of hiking and siteseeing.

Thursday Aug 9th
    Breakfast in Moab,
    Stop at Bo Huff's for tour of shop, museum and lunch.
    Meet & Greet BBQ at Ratstar's
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195117

Directions: from SLC
    From I-80 take EXIT 99 (TOOELE, STANSBURY PARK)
    That will put you on State Road 36
    travel approx. 2 miles then
    Turn RIGHT on HIGHWAY 138 (At the SECOND traffic light)
    travel approx. 10 miles then
    Turn LEFT on WORTHINGTON STREET

Thursday Aug 9th thru Tuesday morning Aug 14th
    FUN ON THE SALT!

The following is kinda a rough draft

Tuesday night Aug 14th
    Jackson Hole, WY

Wed night Aug 15th
    Cody, WY
    Meet & Greet dinner at Bubbas BBQ, 512 Yellowstone Ave

Thursday nite Aug 16th
    Black Hills

Friday night Aug 17th
    Badlands

Saturday night Aug 18th
    DesMoines

Sunday home.

Deciding on which route to take home was probably the most difficult decision of this whole trip. We have so many great friends in the southern states that we really wanted to stop and see but the cooler temps and the scenery of Yellowstone and the Black Hills won out. We are of course looking forward to seeing lots of our southern friends at the HAMB Drags at teh end of Aug.

Like the Ego-Rama and other road trips I'll try and blog the days adventure on the HAMB each evening. We've been planning this trip for months now and are really, really looking forward to hitting the open road in our convertibles. Been really working hard on getting Big Olds ready for the trip. If things go as planned some of you aren't going to believe your eyes. Lets just put it this way, my yellow rubber ducky wet suit will be left at home for the first time in 6 years and 65,000 miles! ;) :D

2. I know I gave you shit but that name rocks! Mark dinner on your calender for the Black Hills stop! We will do something fun....

3. See you on the salt!!

Stop by for a Bonneville Margarita!

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Just what I like......an invitation for cocktails :cool:

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool name, Denise
    We will be looking forward to pictures and story from your latest big adventure.
    Take lots of pictures as you always do,so all of us sitting in the back water watching everybody else having fun can enjoy the trip too:D

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Black Hills or Badlands sleep will probably take place in Rapid City. I'll give you an exact nite early that week.

7. I dont know if you partake in alcohol, if you dont, I make them without as well.:)

I'll have soda and water too.

8. Trust me, the girl will drink a beer.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow!! Sounds like a great trip! (Some day!).....

See you in Omaha on August 4th, Denise!

Looks like you'll catch the "week after Sturgis" when you go through the Black Hills / Badlands. Make sure you stop in Deadwood - what a great town - and maybe a great place to spend the night.

Good luck on your trip. We will be following on the HAMB! :)

Malcolm

10. Sounds like you plan on sticking with I-80 through Nebraska? While it is the quickest way to get through, it certainly isn't the prettiest. If you've got any slack in your schedule, I suggest you hit the highways through the sand hills. At the very least, rather than taking interstate back through South Dakota on your way to Des Moines, cut down into Cherry county in Nebraska, to a town called Valentine and work your way to down to Highway 20. Take that east to Suix City Iowa then continue to Des Moines. One of the prettiest drives you'll find. Just a suggestion. Appologies for the heat and humidity, as well as the ambiant smells in advance.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sioux City. AKA Sewer City. Oh yes, that's where i grew up!
    (the sewage treatment plant is right next to the interstate)

Malcolm

12. BinderRod

BinderRod

Sounds like more stops than a Head East Concert!! I guess you guys are the Rock Stars of the HAMB!!

Sounds like fun. I won't see you on any of the stops but, I will see you at the DRAGS! Keith

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Margaritas, Daiquiri, and Chocolate Martinis are my weakness:D

Looking forward to it sweetie!

It's suggestions like this that we are looking for. Thanks so much bud!

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Ambiant smells... (that's funny right there)

that was my nickname in college

15. Plowboy

Plowboy

Denise it looks like you will be a few days ahead of us on the way out. See you there!

The so-what crew and I are going to be leaving Illinois Tuesday morning on the 7th and we will be leaving the salt on Monday to come home.

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We'll leave the light on for ya! :D

18. TomH

TomH

What??!!!!!!!! you got a top ?? You must be getting old. :D

19. Cody Wyoming has a good (for MT/WY) mexican restaurant on the main drag, its been a year or two since my wife and I were there, Big Brainfreeze Margaritas and home made salsa. Keep us posted I'll see if I and my wife can get out of Billings and head down for a visit. Cody aint that big I ought to be able to find a bunch of trouble makers in convertibles.

s.

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Maybe you can help me remember. I want to make reservations at the same place I stayed a couple of years ago but I can't remember the name. It was a nicer hotel on the west end of town on the main drag, set back off the street just a bit and had a log motif to it with stuffed bears and other animals in the lobby. Had a decent BBQ resturant right out in front. Ring any bells??

I hope you and your wife can make it.

21. I just got back from doing the drive from Jackson Hole to Home. It's amazing and would be even better in Big Olds or any topless car for that matter!!! Make sure you take the road north out of Jackson Hole along side of the tetons... Wow! and if you want even more cut through Yellowstone and and take the east exit of the park to Cody. Lots of Wildlife, kind of slow going but it sounds like you will be taking your time. Have fun!!

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

^^ Thats exactly the route we are taking. Let me ask you, did you have motel/hotel reservations or did you just wing it? This time of the year I'm alittle hesitant about winging it cuz of the crowds.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

There was mention of a Fat Lucky's interior and top earlier this year.
    Has Big Olds been spending a little time in Texas?? :D

Malcolm

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Not yet but he being "prepared" to head down there :D
    He needs a top and windows to protect his Fat Lucky interior from the elements.;)

25. ray

ray
    from colorado

hey denise!

wow, did i drop the ball on this! i got your pm, the hamb was having the usual database errors when i tried replying, then it slipped my mind until i see this post, been nuts here lately!..been getting ready for a road trip myself, heading out to the leadsled spectacular.

anyway, i'll be glad to do what i can to show a little hospitality here in the springs. we can meet at my house and get some supper. if y'all need a place to stay, you're more than welcome to stay here, we got floors sofas and air mattresses...and i can provide some garage space as well if need be.

it just occurred to me that there is a cruise night down in fountain, south of the springs a few miles, i'll have to talk to some people and see if it's worth a quick drive down sunday night.

26. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Yippy-- I'm so excited. I am very much looking forward to meeting all of you along the way and at the salt!

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No sweat, I kinda figured you were out of town or something. No big deal.
    Thanks for the house invite but I think we'll just get a room. There is way too many of us to impose. We'd love to meet at your place though, check your stuff out, then head somewhere from there to eat or cruz. Let us know.

28. We were just kinda winging it for sure. It seemed like we could find a room when we needed one. Some were obviously more expensive than others but I'm sure you can find a place pretty easy. Most places seemed to be about $100 give or take. I think Cody is pretty small, so you might want to call at least the morning your heading that way. I'm not sure how many hotels are there. There was a ton to choose from in Buffalo, just east of Cody about an hour and a half. If you want to go traditional, we stayed in Buffalo at the Occidental Hotel. Its about 130 years old with a Saloon attached, mostly original, including the furnishings, artwork etc (with modern plumbing). It's probably the coolest hotel I've ever stayed at. Might need reservations there, we got lucky she had a cancellation, and we scored the room for $105. I can get the number if you want it.
    sorry for the ramble!

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

umm... friday evening... Addison? those are some of the worst roads around in terms of traffic. I hope you're leaving yourself plenty of time

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Bummer, wish you were taking the southern route..not that it would make any sence, but bummer anyway..if you were coming down 23 to say the turn pike or another south westerly route i would try to meet up with ya..Have fun Ya'll..heres to salt in your shorts!..hair, eyes, and everywhere else..yaaahoo