Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Sal Mineo...Honorary member Kurb Krushers...LA 1959..pic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzr, May 12, 2011.

1. cruzr

cruzr

Heres a email i got from a friend....

It is amazing what you find when cleaning out old files in the attic…

As I recall, this was taken at my dad’s Texaco gas station on Sepulveda Blvd. in West LA , around 1959. Sal Mineo was “voted” into the Kurb Krushers, my old car club, as an honorable member.

I believe the car is James Dean’s ‘49 Mercury coupe, which was used in “Rebel Without a Cause”.

Attached Files:

2. cruzr

cruzr

Oh......and for you "youngsters" Sal Mineo was in the movie "Rebel Without a Cause" with James Dean

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

4. Cool pic, thanks for posting!

The fifteen people I can see are pretty conservatively dressed but that's exactly how I remember it - quite different from how folks these days interpret the era.

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats one thing i have never had any illusions about is what the attire was in the 50's. it varied from region to region, but was nothing like what can be seen at some shows these days...

PS, i need to get ahold of you Evil Step Dad, i am in need of some stickers soon and want to give you the business... wait, i mean i want you to make them LOL

shoot me a PM

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Along with Natalie Wood...they all died tragically. Dean in a car crash, Wood drown off Catalina and IIRC, Mineo was knifed.

It's a terrific photo and the two chicks on the left and FWIW, one on the right are "hotties".

7. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Cool pic Randy Which one is you in the pic?

8. cruzr

cruzr

LOL....i coulda been in it , it was my era........

anyway i thought this was interesting, photo taken by a friend back when. and your right the attire then is nothing like what you see today at the 'shows"

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yeah...gee - no Betty Page heifers....no neck tattoos...no flat-brimmed baseball caps (one of the STUPIDEST looks ever) and no 'wish I had a real one' beards.

My era also - those clothes and people could have been from my high school or any other E WA school. Gotta love those hairdos on the dudes....Wildroot Cream Oil, Charlie.

dj

10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

cruzr

Thanks for sharing that great picture. I would love to see anymore pictures your friend might have of his Dad's station or other related stuff!

11. cruzr

cruzr

I am going to get the pic printed and framed..........cool view of the way it really was

12. Which one are you?

13. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

14. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Read post #9.

15. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The girl in the blue sweater and skirt on the far right IS the look of the era. An old girlfriend of mine told me they used to starch their bras and then iron them to a point to get the "perky breast" look. That's one of the things I miss most about that era.

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Randy, here's a crappy enlargement

[​IMG]

17. Now is this "Period Perfect" or what? Absolutely, its the way we all dressed in the late 50s early 60s, That pic could at any West Coast burger joint, drive in theater or gas station, yes, they were FULL service gas stations or the Fri nite ball games at the local HS!! Probably discussing where the "Midnite Nationals" were going to be held that night!! Gals all had tight sweaters and capris (pedal pushers) with white bucks or saddle shoes with the white socks rolled down and the neck scarfs, Guys had "DAs" with waterfalls all done with Bryl Creme, (Little dab will do ya) or Wild root creme oil Charlie, leather jackets or car club jackets, blue jeans (real AMERICAN Levis) with engineer (motor cycle) boots or penny loafer with dimes!! WERE WE COOL OR WHAT!!!
    AH, to return to the days!!! My HS days were 54 thru 58!!!! Greatest generation ever!!! We all get misty eyed!! OH WELL!!! Maybe in my next life.

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The girls tattoos are under their long sleeves. But people are right that's the way it was. And i dig the chicks with the tattoos

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

man thats cool as hell, if sal had the merc out that night, the studio owned the car

20. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

Yea,thats the way it really was,my era also

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The guy standing to Sal's immediate right, at whom Sal is pointing his finger, is my high school pal Mike Gilmore. This was my part of town, and my era

The car club's name was actually spelled KERB Krushers.

22. 65Riviera

65Riviera

I love these color shots, thanx...

23. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

ive always been a big fan of "rebel" so thats and awesome pic!! so besides the merc and sal mineo,the first thing i thought of when viewin gthe pic was how cool it musta been to be around back then when all the girls/women had 'pointys' ........
    im way to young to be from that era,.but ,besides 50's hotrods and 50's rock and roll,that is thee other thing about the 50's that facinated me! :D

24. IM HOWLING! HA, HA!
    "No Betty Page heifers" now that's funny!

25. sp1ke

sp1ke

It was no different in Fort Myers,Florida.We fressed the same and looked just like ya"ll did. It was a great time and all was fun.The girls and guys took pride in how they looked.I still dress that way today.I don't care what they say!!!!!!!!

sp1ke

26. sun down

sun down
    from tx

thanks for posting, my era also..
    that my friend is traditional

27. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

hey, what's wrong with betty pudges?

dammit scotty! you listening to those records backwards again?

28. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Great pic!.....Thanks for posting it.

29. WOW This is the coolest pic of Sal that I ever seen. Thanks for sharing.