Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saginaw Tranny HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SickBoy66, Jul 19, 2014.

1. SickBoy66

SickBoy66
    from Eugene, OR

I have a '66 Chevy pickup with a 327 and a 4spd Saginaw. Recently the saginaw tranny took a dump and I found a another used one that seemed in good condition. I just finished installing it, and hooking up the hurst 4 spd shifter. But something isn't kosher. When it's in reverse, 1st or 2nd, it acts like it's in both forward and reverse at the same time...doesn't move but bogs down. In neutral, 3rd and 4th, it's in gear and moves forward. I did the pin in the shift adjusting trick, but that didn't help. FYI, the side cover was off when I got it. Anyone have any idea of what's wrong?

2. James Curl

James Curl

Did you put the pin through all of the shift levers before you adjusted the rods. If you look you will see a 5/16" hole in the lower part of the shifter, put a 2" bolt through all three of the shift levers, this is neutral. Adjust rods accordingly. You will have to move each shift lever on the transmission forward and backwards to find the center position. After having done this you will be able to turn the input shaft while holding the output yoke stationary.

3. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

In addition, I wouldn't be comfortable without pulling the shift cover plate and making sure your shifter arms are where they're supposed to be, you'll be running down the road properly this weekend!

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

I will bet it has a shift fork that missed the slot in the syncro when you put the cover back on.... you did make sure the forks were OK didn't you?

5. SickBoy66

SickBoy66
    from Eugene, OR

James, I tried all of your suggestions already , with no success.

Cosmo and greybeard, I'm thinking what you're thinking. I have my old tranny to compare to. I will try again tomorrow. I need a beer now.

6. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Yes, beer good, reward yourself and come back fresh tomorrow.

7. loudbang

loudbang

Shift linkage arms on the trans on upside down?

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I agree with graybeard. Sounds like a shifting fork is not in the slot.

9. jack it up and put the truck on good solid jack stands. disconnect all the linkage from the trany. Shift the trany using an open end wrench and put it a gear. Get out from under the truck and start the engine and see if the rear wheels spin in the right direction. Re do for each gear. If every gear works and the tire move the way they should when it's in each gear then the shifter forks are good and the linkage was installed wrong (easy to do).

10. SickBoy66

SickBoy66
    from Eugene, OR

The beer worked...and Greybeard & Cosmos were right. On the road again. Now she's up fer sale.

Thanks fer the help!