Register now to get rid of these ads!

saginaw 4 speed help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by primer31, Mar 6, 2009.

1. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

I'm swapping out my saginaw 3-speed for a saginaw 4-speed and I have a question. I've done a search and looked through my chiltons book and couldn't find the answer, so please don't crucify me for not searching or being lazy. Question is, which direction do the 3 tabs that the shifter linkage point?? Up or down? Are 1-4 up and reverse down? Are all them pointing up? Here are a couple of pics I found that contrast. Any help would be appreciated. Also, my input shaft has 2 notches and the rations are 3.11 2.20 1.47 1.00. Will this be a better set up than my 3 speed. It's going in my model a sedan with a mild sbc. My 3 speed falls on it's face going from 2nd to 3rd.

Thanks,

Aaron

Attached Files:

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The levers for 1-4 should be up. Reverse could go either way, depending on where you the lever to be; up next to 3rd or back next to 4th. Also which way does your linkage work the best at?

That 3:11 low gear is going to be a lot lower than your three speed. What are you running for rear end gears? I think some 3:5's or 3:3's would work out well.

3. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the help. I'm running 3.08s I'm about 95% sure. So that shouldn't be too big a problem. As for my linkage, I haven't even mounted my shifter yet. I was trying to use the bracket my 3 speed shifter was on, but if the levers 1-4 need to be up, I'm probably going to have to modify it.

4. john56h

john56h

Yes, 1st to 4th, levers pointing up...or your shift pattern will be backwards. Reverse can be either, as you don't need to worry about where reverse will be in the pattern.

I've had good luck with Saginaw four speeds. Should work well for you with 3.08's.

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

I have had good luck also with a Sag. I think for sterrt driving the wider ratios are fine. Mine is the 3.50 1st with a 2.93 rear and it's a pleasure to drive.

Before this trans I tried a 2.5X 1st Muncie, and having the closer ratios were not nice for normal street driving, drag racing would be different.
    But if you spend 99% of your time on the street the wider ratios are better.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A 3.11:1 first gear Saginaw 4-speed will be NO problem with 3.08:1 rear end gear. The factory did this. You could get by using your 3-speed shifter on the 4-speed by making up a pull lever for reverse, or, a separate lever for reverse. This used to be an old racers trick to avoid the reverse detent on the 1/2 shift. Just be sure NOT to leave the car in reverse, and a forward gear, at the same time! Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Butch,
    I've got a hurst comp plus 4 speed shifter a buddy gave to me, it's just the mounting bracket I might have to modify, in fact I'm going out in the garage in a minute to mess with it. And thanks again guys for the help.

Aaron

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009