Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saginaw 343 re-assembly questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kyle Seal, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

So, after receiving my rebuild kit for my 343, I've gotten a little stumped. Seems a I have a few extra parts that don't necessarily have a place they seem to go. I will add some photos.

Other questions: do I need to use any assembly lube for this? I was thinking of using the Valvoline Synchromesh gear oil for assembly lube and also to fill the case. Should this Synchromesh gear oil work good? I heard these transmissions were sensitive to oil weights.

The first photos of the O-rings, I cannot seem to find a home for them. The kit is a Saginaw 3 and 4 speed kit, possibly extra parts that the 3 speed doesn't use?

The last photos, of the side cover and shifter forks, are then O-rings in the proper location? I can't seem to find a location to put the o-ring on the shifter arm/fork that has a notch in it, so I put it all the way down at the bottom of it. Also, the side cover has a part in one of the holes that seems to hold an o-ring, is that where the o ring goes? If so, how do I get it in? This is also shown in the photos.

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

Someone out there's gotta know this. C'mon people!!

4. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

Well since no one wanted to answer, I had to find it out by trial and error. The larger of the two seals goes into the bearing retainer, while the smaller goes into the side cover, the bigger of the shifter arm holes.
    I used an assembly lube from NAPA that is engine assembly lube. Blue cap. Few bucks.
    NAPA has GL4 gear oil in a 85w-90 weight, recommended I use 80w-90 but the 85 should work good. This is for anyone's future reference.

5. squirrel

squirrel

sorry it's been 37 years since I overhauled a Saginaw trans! I forgot.