Register now to get rid of these ads!

Safety tip: incandescent lamps can explode.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk-junkie, Jun 22, 2007.

1. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

Never witnessed this one before, but the 100w bulb near my head just exploded and the force was enough to dislodge the clamp holding the "brooder" lamp pointed at my work. The lamp with the exposed filament then fell onto my metal workbench. Scared the crap outta me, and the whole scenario could represent a shock and or fire hazard.

Act accordingly...

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's funny you mention it. I used to screw with my roomate that way. I'd take the bulbs out of the bathroom and put them in the freezer overnight and put em back in the morning. He'd get up and KABLAM! I thought it was funny as shit.

3. ^^ dizzamn, I gotta try that

4. A guy near me lost a few collector cars,and most of his house when gasoline sprayed on his work light.Bulb exploded,instant fireball!!Most commercial shops here only allow sealed explosion proof lights.:rolleyes:

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

One of the greatest tech tips ever on the HAMB was a post by someone saying to replace the regular bulbs with the high-output flourscent screw-in bulbs. Partly just for this reason (they won't explode, and therefore aren't a fire hazard), partly because they don't pop when you drop the trouble light, and partly because they don't bring everything around them to a nice rosey 120 degrees.

Getting liquid on a regular bulb can bust them too. Squirt guns, spray of any kind, splashing, etc.

-Brad

6. I once was screwing a bulb back into the socket, in the basement at our old house. The power was on. The bulb got power, popped, and blew a circular hole out of the side of the glass. Didn't shatter. But ever since then I look away when I put a bulb in, just in case I get another of those deals, don't want it to blow off in my eyes.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

One of my customers at work just lost most of his garage that way. Gas leaks and drop lights don't mix.