Register now to get rid of these ads!

Safety, is that really O/T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Sep 24, 2003.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Folks,

I just got done helping with an accident, one of our I&C engineers was hit by a pickup on the street between our building and the big parking lot. The street runs directly east-west and the driver who is a friend and coworker hit the engineer with her F-150. The engineer was jaywalking and the sun was directly in front of her as she had to head east to get to work. Normally I am at work before the sun gets that high, but I have experienced it as well.

The point is this, I didn't expect to see this, the engineer and my buyer friend did not expect to have this happen. I just hope that all of you will take this anecdote and try to be more conscious of safety in the workplace and everywhere else.

The engineer will be okay, he was out cold for a few minutes, but by the time the ambulance arrived he was able to communicate and even lifted his own head. My friend is an emotional wreck. The only reason I had anything to do with this is because I am one of the two building wardens.

Please be careful, it could have been worse. Be careful because it could happen to you.

2. DrJ

DrJ

They used to have signs in the middle of the block at my middle school that said "Jaywalking is a quick way to the coroner"

Glad it wasn't worse....

Actually I feel more for the person who hit the jaywalker.
    It's unfair to lay that kind of guilt on unsuspecting drivers.

3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F150 - 1

Engineer - 0

You are right Dr.J, general feeling in the office is "dumb fucker is lucky" and "poor her".

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

No, safety is NOT O/T. Takes one of these to remind you once in a while to keep your eyes open and your mind on your driving and the world around you. Shit happens. Be ready for it. I'm not trying to blame her, just saying be ready for the occasional off the wall surprises.

Check out the top video on this page. These are from last year. I was up at Mammoth saturday and they have 2 bulls attacking cars and doing lots of damage again this year. I also had a big bull buffalo that wanted to customize my grill in the road by obsidian cliffs. Was walking down the centerline with about 100 cars right on his ass. I stopped about 100 feet short to let him go on by. He charged to within about 5 feet before he stopped. Scaired the hell out of my neice and her 3 year old daughter. Anyway watch what these bulls do to cars and people.
    http://www.nps.gov/yell/safetyvideos.htm

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Right in front of my work across the street everyday, I pass a monument with flowers and teddy bears. A co-worker hit and killed a young boy who was 15 yrs old. He was playing with a remote control car in the street and didn't see the oncoming car. I would hate to live with that for the rest of my life. I just don't understand it. When most people leave work, its like the indy 500. The first person to get home wins. The people who kill someone or get killed are the losers. For some people they just don't understand its just like building a rod. Its not the final product thats important. Its getting there that makes it fun. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

6. plan9

plan9

life is too short... enjoy it while it lasts. i will never understand why people drive the way they do... cell phone in hand, and doing 50mph in a residential neighborhood....

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Just watched 5 people beat the train at the raiload crossing next to where I work. The 6th guy stopped and the 7th honked his horn at number 6 and flipped him the bird! [​IMG]

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean he couldn't just go around him to die? Sheesh...

9. BigJim394

BigJim394

You know, I live near some commuter rail stations and every day I see people get off the trains and walk down the street wearing their walkmen, iPods, etc, totally oblivious to the world. They come to a side street where a lot of cars make a right turn and they don't even look to see if there is a car turning into that street. They just walk right off the curb like they are the only person in the world. I have seen 3 minor vehicle/pedestrian "bumped" accidents at one intersection in the last 6 months...all pedestrians were wearing headphones and never looked "both ways" when the crossed the street (where there is no crosswalk by the way). They stride down the street and don't even break stride when they step off the curb.

Hey, pedestrians have the right of way and all that, but being dead even though you had the right of way isn't gong to help you much. I have almost been rear ended in my car a number of times while making a turn when one of these braniacs stepped in front of me and I had to lock up the brakes. Half the time they give you the finger, too.

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

11. Safety is a great topic.
    I get most worried in my shop from fire and welding. I tend to catch stuff on fire. I always have an extinguisher handy, smoke detecotor too.

I never weld with sunglasses or no goggles just makes me nervous, I don't want to go blind.

I also hate to wear safety glasses when drilling or working on something but do it anyway. Last week a backfire in my carb took most the hair off my arms, Imagine what that could do to your eyes. Or a splash of solvent or fuel in the face can do some real damage.
    Be careful and work smart.
    TZ

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

My brother-in-law's grandfather was killed Tuesday. He was going down the road in his tractor and was about to turn into the driveway when a semi came around him to pass. They think he was going about 65 at impact with some pretty looooong skid marks.

As a side note, several people have questioned my decision to put seat belts in my coupe. I'm still doing it anyway. I'm hoping that I can get in the habit from the start, as soon as the car is driveable. I rarely wore them in the Tudor, because I've never had an old car with seat belts before. G/F was always making me put it on. I know I should have been wearing it all the time. And I'm very stict regarding my helmet on the motorcycle. I should make more of an effort, especially after seeing the Buick crash in VLV.

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buick crash? What happened?