Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sad Sad Day in Phoeniz... Manzanita is closing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreggAz, Mar 17, 2009.

1. GreggAz

GreggAz

2. fms427

fms427

We'll be out there Saturday night for the AZ Sprints........

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, heard about that yesterday....

I believe it was Plato who said, "Time has a way of making things suck".

4. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

yeah I am sure they need more empty houses and shops in the Phoenix area :(

Hope the buyers keep it open until the building business gets back on its feet .

Beaulieu

5. It had to happen eventually... urban sprawl.... I remember when 35th and broadway was out in the "boonies" and there were nothing but junkyards surrounding the track... I grew up in Chandler by the way..

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Truck/crane co. is buying it. Not really in a desireable area for homes/condos etc.

7. jerry

jerry

From what I hear the last race is Apr. 11.

jerry

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Damn...had a lot of good times there...:(:(

9. rick finch

rick finch

Progress??? WTF, so much history going away.:(

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

When someone says "PROGRESS", I hear "TAXES".

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

If you do some searching they are looking for another site for a track is what i read... Why this site is so desirable to the crane outfit who knows but the people that promoted the track didnt even know it was for sale by the owner from what i heard.. So race fans cheer up it aint over yet although im sure there is gonna be a lengthy intermission .. Easter weekend im at Eldora.. I dont give a shit if it snows. I need a fix:)... Oh ya i also need one of the new Hoffman racing anniversary T shirts :)...
    Dave

12. Bummer, soon to happen to ours as well.

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

well id rethink that... The economy sucks .. Jobs are being lost by the minute.. (yup im a fucking statistic) So with a failing economy even though gas is low no one can buy it cause they dont have jobs (well you should be smart enuff to figure this out) so how can JQ Publick go to the races .. especially with the 4 kids? What used to be a great weekend event is getting really costly even if you have a job... So the land owners say fuck it were done leasing to these promoters who make the payment some months and dont some months.. We have been fair but enuff is enuff... Then there is the hey guys I know someone that looking for some property for their business and they have cash !... Bingo cash wins... Land is sold the promoter doesnt know it was even up for sale... I hope my kids and grand kids dont have to sit in front of the tv and watch the racing channel for sprint car races after im gone :(... It aint always taxes but it does always relate to money.
    Dave

14. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Man, I love those pics of the Bomber Races they have posted. Now that's some no-holds-barred stock car racing!

15. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I'll be out there in the pits with Rick Stewart Racing this Saturday, then again in two weeks for the last day. I talked to Rick about it today, those guys are pretty bummed. He used to run his shop out of a building in the parking lot at Manzy and has a ton of history at that track. He said they might reopen the track in Casa Grande or maybe move the racing up to Canyon Raceway. I was just thinking about buying a $500 claimer and going stock car racing next year, this is shitty timing.

16. Heard about it last Thursday, sad stuff indeed. Sold to a trucking company for 7Mill and is supposed to be leveled and turned into a holding yard.

Word is that the current manager of the track bought the name from the owner and is working a deal with the Indians that own the land near Firebird Raceway and are planning on moving everything to that location.

Hope it works out better than Compton Terrace did.

17. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

We'll be in Phoenix this weekend - was debating on going to some of the local cruises or going to Manzanita. Been there once before and had a blast - luckily I'll be able to take my familty so they can see it before its gone.

18. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Whatever company that is planning on using the property can use the empty lot in Gardenia, once know as Ascot.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Last time I drove by it was still vacant.<o:p></o:p>
    I remember seeing the CRA and Dwarf cars run at Manzy 20 years ago.

Great place!<o:p></o:p>
    Bart

19. Milgan

Milgan

The old Fire bird track out on bee line is still empty. why dont some one open it up. that would give us on the east side some place to go. manzanita was a long jump from this side. Still sad to see it go.

20. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

Man I cant believe Manzanita is closing! What a bunch of crap. I will definately miss seeing winged sprints haul ass around that that track. I took my son there when he was less than a year old, he didnt have any ear muffs on yet and they fired up the late model stocks and you should have seen how big his eyes were! and the little death grip he was giving me was funny as hell. But after some calming down he enjoyed every minute of it. We still go as often as we can but i will sure miss those Manzi burgers and hangin with my old man out there.

21. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

I just loved that place during the copper classic you could see supers and usac ,then go a few miles to manze at night and see wingless one night and woo on the next night total nervana RIP .c

22. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

[​IMG][​IMG]

It does suck. Especially since Central Arizona Raceway is closed too.

My young kids are getting a taste of "Progress" We'll put this on the list along with CAR, Rawhide and Young's Farm.

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

The caption
    "Windy McDonald has announced races at Manzanita Speedway since 1957." .............
    .... The timeline makes this a sad personal anniversary (however insignificant), for my connection to dirt racing. It was in the spring of '57 when I drove my first dirt track race, (not at Manzanita) but at Marana/Tucson.

Attached Files:

24. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

I went to the Western World race for the first time last November. It was so good I had to go back the to the Copper on Dirt last month. I was already making plans to return in November for another Western World.
    Oh well, at least I can say I say a race at Manzanita.

25. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Many a fun times there. Will be missed for sure.

26. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I just signed the petition.

27. fish-vw

fish-vw
    from arizona

sad day indeed,
    I went & took a photo, then lit the tires up one last time (it was tradition to squeal the tires as you left)

[​IMG]

28. Church

Church
    from South Bay

looks like I'll be holding on to my old Manzanita jacket.

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, you repainted it? Looks great, but does Doug approve?!