Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sad Day...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Nov 30, 2015.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Soooo....
    After 10 years of building cars I shut the doors today for business...
    In the last year I've been stuck with 5 cars, along with parts and materials going up and less money floating around for old cars...
    I still own my garage so I'll keep it for personal use, but not sure if I will reopen...
    On a side note... I currently have 3 ot muscle cars for sale...
    And my '62 c10 to play with...
    Interview with UPS on Thursday...

Welding, fabrication, powder Coating, custom paint, lead work...
    Took my logo off of my avatar and changed it to my last customers vehicle...

Robert Luna likes this.
  2. Best of luck to you!

3. Fedman

Fedman

A closing door leads to a new one that is opening for you.
    Best of luck in your new venture!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sorry that things didn't work out for you.
    Hope you will get a new job that will give you some flexibility in working on your own cars s time goes by.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You gave it your best shot and you can pat yourself on the back for that. You still have old iron around, your still in charge and your doing what you have too...all positives. Good on you...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  6. mrloboy

mrloboy

I know how you feel. I closed my shop 3-1/2 years ago after trying to hold onto my dream and not admit defeat. I was offered a great position in a John Deere dealership by a good friend. I should have made the change years earlier. I am now just getting to the point of having the desire to start building a personal ride. I too still have my shop and equipment. I hope to start a build thread of my 42 Plymouth business coupe in the near future. I am sure you will find your future uplifting and you too will get back in the shop building for yourself, regards; Rick

7. Here's hopin you find the right thing to do as a vocation. Focus on the good stuff! Tim

8. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

A job is a job bahblahblah.. You still have your hobby and your passion...right?!

summersshow likes this.
  9. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

King ford you are right...
    It's just sad and an odd feeling going back to work for someone again...
    Thank you everyone...
    Back to getting some ideas for the c10...

10. I like this quote and use it on my Ford Barn profile,it just seems appropriate here. HRP

‘When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one which has opened for us.’ Alexander Graham Bell

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

you're in the perfect position now. you can pick up the occasional side gig for money for your projects and keep the fun in your hobby. I ran a shop for 3 years then went back to a desk job. I've been doing "side" work for 10 years now. Best of both world. Good luck!

belair likes this.
  12. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

A couple months ago I passed 30 years as self employed. Probably wouldn't know how to act if I had to go to work for someone else.

But, on the other hand, there's still times when I miss just walking out the door and forgetting it all until the next day like I could when I worked for a big company.

Sounds like you decided to give it up while you were at least about even, or a little ahead. That's a smart move. I've known several guys who started borrowing and feeding money into a business when they should've closed the doors. One kept feeding a losing proposition until he eventually lost a house that was 2/3 paid for, along with most everything else he owned. Worst part was, he's an engineer who could've gone out at any time and gotten himself a $75K/yr job within a month or less.

Don't know if its pride or whatever that causes some people to do things like that, but it sure causes them and their families a load of problems.

Good luck in your interview.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

My biggest question is... WTF do I do with a Kermit the frog 69 AMX... Hahahahahahaha

14. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Kermit because its green? Or Kermit cause its ugly and warty? :D

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

69 AMX? What motor? Price?

belair likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Best of luck to you, having the cars as a hobby should be a bit more relaxing now. Bob

17. trollst

trollst

I closed up when it became too much hassle, hurt at first, but in the end, best thing I ever did. Building is fun again, if I feel like it, I'll sell what I've built, make a little, work at my own pace, get up in the morning when I want.....the only boss I got is mrs. troll, she's tough as nails, been with her for....36 long miserable years, best choice I ever made.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tough call but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. maybe while working elsewhere that you will stumble across a really great opportunity for a position at another shop.

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Luck with your new adventure, always see the positive and you will always come home winning !

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that you will find life more relaxing now and enjoy cars more as a hobby.
    All things happen for a reason and you may find life at UPS far less stressful and in the end probably better for your health too.
    Since I teach and no longer work as a welder in the field I find I also enjoy life and hobbies more than before.
    Good luck.

62hotcat likes this.
  21. Faith will get you through this transition. Not necessarily religious faith (that's your personal business), but faith that things have a way of working out. I don't even know you and I have faith that you will be just fine. Good luck going forward.............Don.

hipster likes this.
  22. Sorry you had to shut down. Very few of us ever get to work for a living at our passion. Just because you can't bring in the bacon at this hobby it doesn't mean the end of the world. When you find something to pay the bills, you might be able to go back into it a little bit at a time here and there. Good luck.
    PS Be careful about a job with UPS......you never see anyone working there over 45, makes me think they have a way of getting rid of you once you are past your prime. Jus sayin'

23. Hey there @Ebbsspeed get out of the way I thought about it first. :D :D :D

@summersshow your decision must have been difficult. It may be the best thing for you though, when you are doing something for a living and especially if that living is not so good it really takes the fun out of it. I am real big on fun here, I have nothing to show for it but grins, but I have probably had more grins than most. Many, many more grins for you my friend. ;)

24. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

Good luck on the UPS interview. Just think of all the problems you won't need to deal with on a daily basis. You can always start back up if you get the itch.

25. belair

belair

Life is made up of changes. Best of luck. And I saw saw the AMX first. Dibs.

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to hear that you had to close up, but good luck with your next endeavor. Keep looking up !

27. If its not fun or you are not making enough money quit. Life is too durn short to waste your productive years just marking time. Ive been self employed quite a few times. And luckily I knew when to quit. And being a experienced heavy equiptment operator and truck driver I could always find work. I the end I spent my last working for another man years driving truck. The Scrap got high and I quit driving and went to selling my hoard for scrap at high prices. And I still have plenty left.

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Unfortunately not an uncommon story in today's business world.
    Good luck to you.. and best wishes..
    Also agree on the above post of one door closing opens another.. :)

29. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I closed up end of last year but hell I'm 70 years old so I guess it was time.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. I used to work for UPS and liked it alot. Tried to go back a few years ago but they wouldn't hire me cause I was a previous employee. Confused me.