Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sad day - The Willys left home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 12, 2016.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Today it finally really hit me, as my '40 Willys pu gasser got loaded up and is really gone. I started it a long time ago with the intention of going drag racing with a gasser like the ones I envied when I was a teenager. Like many projects it got pushed aside several times as customer jobs and other projects got in the way.
    Then, I retired early and I thought I would finally finish it, but again; moving, setting up a new shop, family and other projects made it grind to a halt. So when I got a '48 Austin in a trade deal, a decision had to be made and the Willys went up for sale. Thankfully, a fellow HAMBer bought it and hopefully will pick up where I left off and it will hit the drag strips in the great northwest this summer. I wish him the best and I can't wait to see it finally in action.
    I have lots of other projects to keep me busy, but I HATE to give up on one, especially a Willys.
    Feelin' a little bummed, I believe I'll have another glass of wine............

IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0882.JPG

clunker, LOU WELLS, T-roaster and 2 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ya gotta do what ya gotta do - lots of "some day" tales out there

3. milo1303s

milo1303s

pics of the 48 Austin please !!!

4. exterminator

exterminator

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

From what I can see in the photo's the Austin will be awesome. Hope we will see more of the
    Willys from the new owner.

6. (Insert compassionate distraction) Ooooo! A Corvair!! Can I see?!?!

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy! Can't keep'em all! ...or at least that's what my wife tells me! :D

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Tough to lose a dream, good luck with the Austin.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Understandable about the Willys. In the mean time, that '56 would keep a smile on my face all day long.
    Keep us posted on the Austin.

clem and tfeverfred like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I did the same thing with my Lyndwood rail, new owner had is finished and running in less than a year. Bob

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

its, hard, i have gone threw the same thing. retiring, moving, and plenty of projects! its hard to let one go. but most of us have done it at one time or another. as long as you have something to do, it will work its self out. i have 3 cars sitting here that are projects. trying to keep the fire lit, but it gets alittle harder each year!

The37Kid likes this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

The new owner has a bunch of cool HAMB friendly cars and he seems to really get stuff done. So I'll be happy to see it out there and running. BUT, you all have probably had that "sellers remorse", I know I have. It is a Willys. Like the '32 5w I sold years ago, I'll probably never be able to afford another one.
    The Austin kinda pushed the Willys PU out because it runs, drives and is licensed. I didn't feel like I needed two limited use hot rods. I also fit a whole lot better in the Austin than in the Willys cab.
    Between tinkering with the wife's Corvair, the Austin and swappin motors in my '56, there's always something to do to stay busy.
    Here's a couple Austin pics for Milo1303s...... Just put the 6-71 blown SBC in the Austin, it's "peppy", heh, heh, heh

Attached Files:

jnaki likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Now that I see how the Austin looks, you made the right decision parting with the Willys. Bob

13. Almost looks like a faded lace paint job (blue part) on your Austin.
    Reminds me of a lace paint job I had on a '36 Chevy I owned in the early 70's.
    THE EARLY 70's! Shiiiittt that was a long time ago. Have fun.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well all I gotta say is that the Austin looks pretty nifty and is worthy of bumping the Willys out of a garage spot.

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks. You don't often get a chance to have two of the cars you lusted after as a kid at one time.
    Yeah, the Austin has lace panels with cob webbed fenders and a candy blue top. Someone did an enormous amount of work on the paint then someone else let sit outside somewhere. It went through a number of hands before landing in my shop. It's too far gone to save unfortunately. Wish I knew the history.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wine? I'd take a shot of Jack and get the wrenches on that '56.

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Now I'm just east of Lodi, Ca and that's wine country son, but if you insist, I'll break out the Jack.
    "Here's to me runnin' my Austin against my old Willys pu at Eagle Field sometime ............ and smokin' him"
    And I've been working on gettin' the pulleys all lined up correctly on the new '56 motor all evening.

slowmotion likes this.
  18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I remember the Thanksgiving afternoon day we started the frame for that car... Just a bunch of 2x4 sticks of tubing.
    Your then girlfriend brought us some thanksgiving eats.

Mike

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Looonnng time ago, it seems.........