Register now to get rid of these ads!

sad but true

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jheller, Mar 22, 2004.

1. jheller

jheller

This is my first post as I'm a fng to this site. I'm not really a die-harder like alot of you, but I am a guy with a scrote. There is a moral to this story, so hang tight. I like b-body Chevy's. 1968&69 El caminos and Chevelles to be exact. 5 or 6 years ago I traded a guy out of a '69 for 5 motorcycle tires.(I own a dealership) This car was a driver with typical b-body rust but otherwise solid. Just an Elcam with a 350. Nothing special. I had a dream that I restored it so I started taking it apart. Keep in mind this car was a driver. I tore that car to hell, didn't mark shit, bagged nadda, complete dissassembly. That car never ran again. I practically gave it away after spending God knows how much time and money on it. The moral is don't do that. I was stupid.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas... Welcome Jheller... Me and Jheller used to run around together when we were what - 7 to 14 years old or so???

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Welcome to the HAMB. [​IMG]

By the way, your favorite Chevy is and A-body. [​IMG]

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Welcome - don't let the "anti-mulletmobile" guys wear you down. Cool cars are cool cars.

5. old beet

old beet

Welcome, I love a Chevy story with a happy ending......OLDBEET(Ford Guy)

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

My first five cars were 68-72 Chevelles (A-body cars in GM terms, actually).

Back in the early 80s, they were dirt cheap intermediates that nobody wanted...Novas and Camaros were the hot ticket back then. The MOST I ever paid for one back then was $700...and that was for a 396 four speed car!

Nothin' wrong with 'em...learned alot about cars and engines, had a lot of fun, won some races, made some money and scored some gals!

Being a car guy is an evoloutionary thing...you'll go through phases and learn something new with each project! It'll make ya well rounded (ummm...knowledge-wise, that is!)

Welcome! [​IMG]

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    Chevy story with a happy ending......OLDBEET(Ford Guy)

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha

welcome

8. Iceberg

Iceberg

I like happy endings! The world does not need anther 350 powered Chebby!

9. jheller

jheller

Now I feel like an idiot.

10. Welcome to the forum...lots of real helpful guys & gals here...don't be afraid to ask!

Dave

11. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Welcome, my first "old" car was an Elky too. I still like 'em, even if they call them "mullet-mobiles" around here. (Actually I still have it, been thinking about fixing it up to bracket race if I ever get the money.) [​IMG]

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

Hi jheller, Welcome to the forum. I see you on ebay a lot, I think I've won your auctions.

13. JamesG

JamesG

Welcome man! My Uncle drove a 69' ss 396 his senior year in 69'. I thought about getting one to drive in memory of him.......

Have fun on tha HAMB!

14. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

welcome man. nothin wrong with musclecars.

15. Mojo

Mojo

My favorite "late model" cars are chevelles. I was so into them I would have probably gotten "chevelle" tatooed on my chest if my dad wouldn't murderize me! I never had the chance to get a 60's one, but I used to own a 79 Malibu (kissing cousin to the velle) that I turned into a cheap corner carver. Man, I miss that thing... comfortable, fast, and easy to drive.. those sloppy-assed grandma cars could be made into serious movers on the cheap.

16. Welcome-you think you feel stupid-.....I had a black 69 chevellSS 396 with black bench seat and 4 speed..........sold it during the 70's"gas crunch" for 12hundred to my drunken brotherinlaw who totalled it........

17. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    I tore that car to hell, didn't mark shit, bagged nadda, complete dissassembly.......The moral is don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh great, NOW you tell me!!! [​IMG]

Welcome.

18. silent rick

silent rick

welcome, you got that desoto intake i've been searching for?

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Welcome aboard. Haha, And since this is the officially Ryan sanctioned Chevelle thread, here's my '67, followed by my Dad's '67. As you can see, we're not terribly creative. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But since you're here, I'm guessing you want to move into a hot rod. So what do you want to build?

20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Nothing wrong with a traditional Chevelle! [​IMG]
    Mine gets me all over the west from North Idaho to Southern California and Seattle to Denver every year besides back and forth to work and local cruises. Beats showing up in a Honda or staying home because the 31 coupe isn't built yet and the flatty wouldn't be a good freeway flyer anyway. I've put in cruise control, air conditioning, tunes etc. It'll do 80mph all day and night, bury the speedo at less than 1/2 throttle, climb 6% grades at 8,000 ft. without kicking out of cruise control. It carries 4 people comfortably and I get thumbs up and "Wow, nice car!" everywhere I go. It's 34 years old so it's older than the Young Guns on this board. I can't do power parking at NSRA events but it's welcome everywhere else. That's traditional enough for me.

You learned from that first car wether you realize it or not. Now go build another one!

Attached Files:

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Another shot. This was the best of the parts from 2 cars. Brought back from the grave. New rear quarters, front clip from the other car, etc.

Attached Files:

22. alchemy

alchemy

Add me to the Chevelle lover's list. Better that than the V-dub list.

Owned a '67 since I was 16, and still have it. Great cars, and someday mine will get pulled out of the barn again.

alchemy

23. MBTex

MBTex

Also into the GM A bodies here is my 70 Buick GS Stage 1.
    I have thought about selling her a few times but just can't do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. So where you from?Fill out your profile a lil bit.Doesn't hurt too much!LOL
    My favorite GM musclecar is a 67 Pontiac Beaumont Sport Deluxe a Canadian Chevelle.427 w/4 gear.
    Lets see some pics.
    Oh yeah,looks like you got your life going in the right direction when you stopped hangin with that hellraiser Ryan. [​IMG]....Shiny

25. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Django, The redline tires with black wheels and dogdish caps look rad on that car. I really like that look.

I drove a '71 Buick GS for a couple years that I sold to 'finish' my shoebox, and my Dad has a marina blue '66 SS396 4spd Chevelle that he's almost done with. I also have a '65 Buick Skylark convertible that I hope to finish sometime in the next two years.

So as you can see I have a soft spot for the GM A-body myself....welcome aboard, jheller

26. Anderson

Anderson

Guess I'll jump in...owned a '64 El Camino, and loved it. I'm a huge fan of the '64-'67 A-bodies. Now I have a '64 Cutlass, and no one will ever be able to pry it out of my hands.

[​IMG]

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ahhhhh Chevelles are OK, I guess...they were brand new cars when I was a young 'un...couldn't afford them then, certainly can't now, but whatever trips your trigger...

So, Jheller, if you're a friend of Ryan's, why is your profile very vacant? Is this authorized by Ryan so now no one has to fill out their profile? Just curious....

Anywho, that wasn't much of an intro (we still don't know anything about YOU!!!) but welcome to The House of HAMB...now scan the classifieds and find yourself a REAL car!!!

R-

28. plan9

plan9

my first car was a 67 el camino 396, still own it. tore into the drivetrain not 2mo. into getting it... learned my lesson the hard way, but at least i bagged and labeled the shit i took off [​IMG]

django - the 67 looks cherry bro! [​IMG]

29. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

The Moral of the story is your a fucking mullethead with NO intrest in HOT RODS AND TRADITIONAL CUSTOMS. GET OFF THE BOARD!

30. Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

You from the Twin Cities, area?

I did a similar thing, when I was a teenager. I pulled the body off of my deuce, to have it painted, and just cut the wires that ran out the bottom of the firewall, without marking them. I figured I could just match 'em back up...
    WRONG!!!
    Some years later.... I ended up rewiring the whole freakin' car.

We all make dumb mistakes. Thanks for sharing yours. [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]