Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical S97 T5 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enjenjo, Jul 8, 2014.

1. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I just finished building a T5 for a 64 Chevy 4x4 C10. It has a divorced transfer case, so a short T5 for a two wheel drive would work. I found that the 2004 to 2007 Mustang with a 4.0 V6 used a T5 that is only about 14" long, and has a drive flange on the back the same as the one used on an 8.8 rear end. The only problem, it is set up for a remote shifter. The shift tower location is similar, but not the same as a S10, so I set about modifying it for a direct shifter.

Under the remote shifter there is a shifter block, the same one used in Jeep, and S10 shifters. I had a jeep shifter on hand, I modified the bottom of the shifter to be similar to a Mustang lower shifter. But the pivot pin in a Jeep shifter is 1" higher than the one in the Mustang. So you could use the Jeep lower shifter, and a spacer to mod a Mustang shifter for a short throw. In my case the truck has a long lever, so the shifter throw will not be that short, but I needed the extra length to reach the shifter block.

I cut away all of the Jeep shifter base, and shortened it for this transmission. I then fabricated a new base that would fit the bolt pattern on this trans, with a hole in it for the Jeep tower. 002.JPG
    The remote shifter is the shaft coming out of the back of the tower. The hole just below the tower on the left side is for a VSS that uses gear teeth for a signal. There is no provision for a mechanical speedometer. 005.JPG
    Top one is a modified Jeep shifter base, bottom is a stock Mustang shifter base. To modify I removed the upper shifter, took a slight bend out of the lower shifter, and cut and drilled the top of the lower shifter to resemble the Mustang base. 009.JPG The shifter block, it's the same one used in an S10. The remote shaft, spring, and lever have been removed, and the hole where it came out the back plugged with a soft plug. 014.JPG The Jeep shifter mount uses 5 bolts and does not match anything so I cut away all of it but the tower. 015.JPG I then shortened the tower to give the right height for the new application. 023.JPG I made a new base that would fit the 20004 T5 tail housing tower. It is different than all the others. It uses 6mm bolts, vs 8mm bolts on the others. I retapped the 6mm holes to 1/4" 20 as deep as possible, and used full length studs to gain as much strength as possible. 025.JPG I then jigged up the tower, and base, and welded them together 008.JPG There is a boss at the rear of the tower that was part of the remote shifter. I used that as part of the mounting for the shifter base to make it stronger 003.JPG All welded up, ready to assemble 007.JPG
    All assembled on the trans. The Jeep boot even fits yet

2. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Now I need to adapt it to a GM bell housing. The S97 input shaft is 1.25" longer than a GM input shaft. I had the front bearing retainer from the Ford trans that is made for a concentric hydraulic throw out bearing, so I cut that as short as possible in a lathe. It ended up just over 1/2" 004.JPG I Counter bored a 1.25" aluminum plate to fit tightly on the Ford bearing retainer. I bored holes in the plate to fit both the T5, and the GM bell housing 007.JPG I bored the front side to fit the bearing race from a SR 4 input shaft I happened to have on hand. You could do this with most any GM bearing retainer/throw out sleeve. 006.JPG I drilled and tapped the holes to hold the GM retainer to the plate. 014.JPG
    After trimming and tapping the plate it's ready to install. The top bolts from the T5 and the GM bolt pattern are too close to use bolts for both patterns, so I drilled out the top holes on the bell housing, and tapped the plate for studs. The T5 uses the normal bolts.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

AWESOME! I've been wanting to get my hands on one of these late-model T5. This is now the newest addition to the T5 Tech links!

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

According to the info on line, these all have a 3.31 first gear. That is wrong. Most of the ones I find have a 3.76 first gear. The Id code numbers are different too, it starts with 1351 rather than 1352, none of the code lists I have found on line cover that code prefix. 005.JPG

5. cool tech! any pictures with tail housing off?

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I can take one.

7. Just the ticket for a modified.

8. Excellent work.