Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical S10 T5 Short Throw Shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by eicke, Dec 1, 2019.

1. eicke

eicke

My version of the T5 shifter. Turned a Cheap Egay T5 shifter designed for the Mustang in the lathe. Coulda just redrilled the holes but that be ghetto. Made a new base and cannabalized the mustang shifter for parts . Works flawless and for $26 delivered....I'm pretty happy. IMG_20191130_113033034_HDR.jpg IMG_20191201_135801620_HDR.jpg

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Excellent! People like you make me feel like I have ten thumbs.

3. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Shifter.jpg Nice!

I did the ghetto version with a used Pro 5 off of ebay. Have 50 bucks in mine... it's money well spent.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    mgtstumpy, eicke and loudbang like this.
  4. tjm73

tjm73

You can just buy a short throw shifter for the S10 T5, but it's not that cheap (surprise). If you don't have the time, skill or tools to make what you did it can be bought.

That said you ended up with a nice looking piece. I like the corner detail for the fasteners. And the available shifters don't have the positive stops you kept from the Mustang donor shifter. A real nice feature to retain.

mgtstumpy, eicke and loudbang like this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Let us know how it shifts..

loudbang likes this.
  6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

61 Sunliner, eicke, Nostrebor and 2 others like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not so sure that is still the case. A few months ago I was looking for a short throw S-10 shifter and could not find anything new in the market. Maybe I missed something, but I think I looked reasonably thoroughly. A fellow HAMBER saw a post where I mentioned that and contacted me about an NOS B&M unit that he had purchased years ago but did not use. They have been out of production, and stock, for years. Bought it and glad to have gotten it.

Hats off to the posters who reworked non-S10 units!

Ray

eicke likes this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I think Core is still making the S10 shifters, but I have not shopped in a while. They were $2-300 bucks, which is a lot more than I paid for my transmission, so it was no bueno for my build.

A decent amount of bay stalking will turn up Mustang shifters that are better than the $26 China ones, for not much more money. I used a Pro-5 because it was "flat" topped, which makes the mods a bit easier.

9. Nice work on the shifter! I made one following el Scotto's link out of 1" thick 6061 aluminum plate donated from a friendly scrapper. I only moved the pin up 1", the thickness of the plate, not sure why Scotto moved the pin 1" but made a 1 1/4" plate. Oh well, finding a 1/4" plate will be easier if needed to add thickness.

eicke likes this.
  10. tjm73

tjm73

11. 6sally6

6sally6

Some body 'skool me' on this good looking mod!The round outer portion is 1 1/2 in. tall? Is the shift lever also extended 1 1/2" ?(NOT the shifter!) Exactly how does this make it a shorter throw? Is the pivoting point moved up 1 1/2' also? I really like the shift stops you put in. I understand that's a weak point in T-5's,
    I have one of those ......"un-mentionables, with a capital M..." that would really benefit from one of these. Just trying to understand the physics of how it improves whats stock.
    Thanx
    6sally6

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It's all about pivot points https://www.musclecardiy.com/transmissions/manual-transmission-shifter-basics/

upload_2019-12-3_11-35-11.png
    upload_2019-12-3_11-40-22.png

mad mechanic and cactus1 like this.
  13. Looks nice. My first try was like this one, modified Mustang cheap shifter. I just re drilled and counter-bored the holes on my mill and it worked great, for a cheap shifter, but it was sloppy.
    I ended up modifying the stock unit by welding in a 1" section to the stock shifter tower and drilling a new hole 1" up. it works OK, but the spring is weak and does not return to neutral like I think it should. I also welded nuts to the tower to make my own positive stops.

14. eicke

eicke

Sally,
    As Stumpy posted.....it's all about raising the fulcrum. The shifter was designed by "others". I didn't change the fulcrum height, just adapted it to the S10 shifter box. The top pic is as it came from Egay.

Flt,
    The cheap shifters add additional springs under the fulcrum stub on both sides for aiding the "neutral return" which also incorporate adjustable side throw stops.
    The stock shifter had a nylon spider looking thing that fitted above the fulcrum. I added this to the cheapy making the shifter stalk somewhat "encased" in nylon.

Not sure of the durability of the shifter though. Time will tell.

While I was at it I replaced the nylon shifter cup with a brass one.

mad mechanic likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://core-shifters.com/collections/t5-swap-bases

Nostrebor and lumpy 63 like this.
  16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I had not ran across this page... good info. My modified shifter is similar to the early Mustang version.

I also note the pricing is different than I remembered. Buying just the bases makes these a better deal for us roll your own shift rod types than the full package Core units I looked at.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019