Register now to get rid of these ads!

S10-T5 compatible with Tardel K-member?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Search Dog, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

Hi, folks.

Got the AV-8 motor mounts welded in behind the front cross member per "the book." The K-member has been bolted in.

When I swung the mocked-up drivetrain with the T5 and S10 tailpiece into place, the tailpiece and shifter went as far as they would go into the K opening, but the engine has to go back at least another 6" before the motor mounts line up.
    I know both the T5 and K-member are popular items to use for rods, but are they compatible?
    Has anyone used these two together for their build?

Thanks.

Oh, maybe I should have said I'm also using an 8BA flatty with the truck water pumps for mounts.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's not going to "bolt in", no. You'll end up cutting away some of the cross member to get the 5 speed to fit, and then go back in and replace the material you rmoved so you can keep the frames torsional rigidity as much as possible.

3. alchemy

alchemy

There has been a few comments on the HAMB that the motor mount measurements in that book are a little "off". Hopefully yours are just tacked in during the mockup phase.

I haven't seen any photos of guys able to use a T-5 in a '32 K member without major surgery.