Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods S10 t5 behind sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Way back on page one, someone suggested you use a cable for the clutch linkage, and you were wondering what cable to use. I have a Model A with a Ford-o-matic behind a Y block and I'm going to switch to a 3 speed maybe next winter, I was thinking about a cable for the linkage and was going to look at a parking brake cable to use.

2. The cable thing I was thinking of on my mucie (I've got 3 projects going on) in my coupe I think the only thing that will give my feet room is swinging pedals with masters hidden under the dash. Just such an expensive setup that I'm dragging my feet to buy it cause it will put other parts on hold till I can afford it

3. I think I have the mechanics of it figured out as parts go except for what clutch to use that's 14 spline and 10-10 1/2

Is there any others that care to share their experience before I do this and potentially end up not happy? Just really concerned with the low first,relativity high 5th and weakness of the box

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think Chevy Astro van for 4.3 eng. is 14 spline but 11"....

5. Yeah too big. Need to run 153 tooth flywheel.
    There's a jeep shaft conversion but it's 100$ and I'm not sure if the s10 trans is worth dumping more money in. I'm afraid the gear ratio may suck butt and the trans may not even be strong enough.

I imaging changing the first gear may be more than the cost of a camaro trans. Though I cannot find a camaro trans anywhere

Not going to be doing full throttle shifts,but I would like to use what power I do have sometimes and get into the gears fairly quickly. I let off the throttle to shift but once in gear I'm back on it again

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. Well an update I guess. So much different info and I just felt the 3.97 first gear ratio seemed waaaaaaay too low. Along with the 220-240 torque rating the s10 trans has. I hunted me a Muncie. I'll give up the overdrive for a trans I know is going to handle the task.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good choice.. I think you'll be happier with the 4 spd..

8. johnnymac1

johnnymac1

Just for the heck of it, I used an 86 IROC NWC T-5 with an S-10 tail housing, 10-1/2 clutch kit ordered from Speedway, a Novak hyd slave . A Kugel brake / clutch pedal assembly, all fits nice with my clearance issues, Pic is just before slave install.
    me again.jpg

scrap metal 48 likes this.