Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods S10 t5 behind sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Pm'd

2. As far as Clutch cables go Morse control cables come in a million different configurations, eyes, clevis and cable dia. Over all often much easier than dealing with Hard Rods or Hyd systems.
    The Wizzard

3. I figured the factory t5' mustang setups used a cable (I've owned many) but I'd have to run a pedal on the floor to do that. Also not that it's a show car (it's very much a old chopped up driver hotrod) but have one pedal of this and the other of that would look pretty bad. Swinging pedals are probably the best bet with how big my feet are. I sit on the floor as it is, really cramped foot space. But I'm absolutely sick of this leaking th350 and have always enjoyed my t5 modern cars.

You know,can't beat the sound of a clutch in a hotrod. I'm still young you probably can tell hahaha

4. I almost think that if I dealt with the masters on the firewall I'd actually gain more room inside being that my brake pedal would have more freedom. Not my first choice but. I suppose function over form is the best approach on a driver car

Poh likes this.
  5. how about a Kugel under the dash unit. Master and clutch master sit inside at 90 degrees. nothing on outside of firewall

6. Kind of a Heavy Hit but if you must have, thank God I don't.

#5124 - 90° Manual Brake & Clutch With 7/8" Bore Aluminum M/C & Standard Clutch M/C

Product is pictured with optional parts:
    #5156 Universal Mounting Brackets (Pair) add $45.00*

Product is available with this additional upgrade:
    #5192 Upgraded Slotted Brake & Clutch Pedal Arms — add $80.00*

*PLEASE NOTE: These are optional parts or upgrades and are not included. To order these additional parts please select the checkbox below for what you would like and then add to cart.

Starting at: $514.00 Then add this and that to get complete system.

Yik's!! The Wizzard

7. Scots hotrods has a 90 degree kit but it's 20 inches long cause of the booster. Since I run a good sized cam and tunnel ram I don't need the boosters.

Here's a look behind my speedometer area. Excuse the mess,

Attached Files:

8. Another

Attached Files:

9. Yeah can't swing that price. 300 on pedals is already 300 more than I planned for. Was in the middle of doing a new rear suspension and coil over setup when I decided that I wanted to go t5 so I'm elbows deep in changes. Not to mention a 33 pickup I'm doing the exact same changes to

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  10. You sound pretty Crafty. I bet you'll get it figured out. Good luck.
    The Wizzard

11. More like professional hack! Haha slightly better that bailing wire

12. Dumb question, I need a clutch for 26 spline and a 1979/1980 sbc. 88 camaro says 10.5 clutch or 10 3/8 do I order a flywheel for a 88 camaro? Will all 10"-10.5 clutches fit that? What throwout bearing to fit the s-0 bearing retainer but a standard GM fork?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  13. check out RottenLeonards site. He has pedals etc you can look at for ideas or purchase. I used 66? Chev truck m/c and clutch set up on my A and made my own brackets using pieces from a 64 Chev pedal assmb. then made my own arms and pedals. It appears to work ok. Here is the link to Leonard's site....he is a great fabricator
    http://www.rottenleonard.com/Pedals.html

and a pic of my home built assemb. fwiw:
    100_5349.JPG

100_5350.JPG

100_5361.JPG

14. pitman likes this.

15. It really doesn't answer what I was asking that's why I asked (not being rude)

I've found a few pedal setups online but most are very expensive. I'll have a look at his

16. Have you considered just using a Drake new 39 pedal unit? If you can have the Brake where it is now I would think you could make it work. No more complicated than changing to swing pedals and hooking up the Clutch is a walk in the park. You would also be able to keep and use the Master Cyl. where it is.
    The Wizzard

17. I should add that I have a 39 unit in my Roadster and it's Channeled 6" and works fine, it did take a little heat to get it there. Not that it matters but I ware a size 10.5 Boot. So far so good.
    The Wizzard

18. Well, I think the swinging pedal would work better for my confined space, being such a big foot,I think I could tick my toe under the clutch pedal when cruising. That space on that side I actually put my foot up against the firewall when driving. It really is cramped, my shoe rubs the brake pedal on the right side while on the gas pedal. So a swinging pedal may help in that area too I think. I may be able to make a smaller tunnel also being the t5 is smaller case than the th350.

I'm just worried that the bellhousing may be bigger that the bell on the th350. As it is my floor is MAYBE 1/2 from touching the bell.

I feel sort of confident that I could get swinging pedals to work with some bracing under the dash. I was actually thinking of doing it in my studebaker also that has a Muncie but no pedal setup.

19. Speedway has a lot with forward facing masters and pedal setup for 320$ with afco masters included. Just need a slave cyclinder and whip up some brakes and brake lines. Seems a better option than the 4-500 90 degree setups. I THINK I've got the room to run the forward facing ones if I get the higher ratio pedals and mount it as close to the firewall as possible

20. Hmmm, Studebaker = = what year would that happen to be?

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

4.3 bell housing with built in slave cylinder bracket works well if you have Chevy trans bolt pattern and M-van pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing worked well in my A's with standard trans.. Yes you have to shorten input shaft, collar and lengthen splines on T-5 trans.. Ebay has 1,000s of pedal assemblies from small foreign or domestic cars dirt cheap and adapt well for model A's.... Just search and see what has already been done... You can spend a lot of money and buy something but to me hot rodding is about ingenuity, trial and error and fabrication.. Good luck what ever you do.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.

22. 53 pickup

23. I've looked high and dry for a 4.3 bellhousing. If you can find one let me know cause they are flat dried up.

Yeah I'm not sure what pedals would work. Seen speedways kit is wilwood pedals,and 3 afco aluminum master cylinders for 320 with bolt on pedal pads to adjust position a bit. Seemed like not too bad of a deal.

24. Turns out I have a 14 spline 1" shaft... need to find a clutch and plate now

25. 14 spline would have been used in the 4/6 engines I think and it appears the disc is 9 1/2 inches. Maybe someone makes a bigger one in another application for 14 spline 1 inch. My NAPA counter guy here still has all the "books" and he has been a valuable asset these days in looking up "stuff". Do you have one left in your area?

26. looks like jeep used 14 spline 1 inch from 1980 +. Might be just the ticket!

27. Yeah I was reading something about a jeep clutch. My issue is, the input is small on this 14 spline. It would cost me a bit of money but I could buy a t5 jeep input shaft that's 10 spline to put in this trans. Supposedly the 14 spline is rated at 220hp and the 10 spline shaft being thicker is rated a 280-300. Think it's worth it to change?

Also unfortunately no, no one here really still has any books or is actually worth a damn as a parts house anymore

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

V8 bell housings are the same and many full size pick-ups with 4.3 or 305/350 should also work...

29. I got a bellhousing in order last numbers of 383 60's Chevy car.Need the center hole bored out a bit or the bearing retainer trimmed a bit

And to change the input shaft to 10 spline jeep. Then find a cheap clutch set

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  30. Anyone know if the 3.90 first gear will be too low for my rear gear being 3.08?

I heard you multiply the 2 and anying between 10-12 is okay, mine comes out to 12.012.