Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods S10, t5, behind a olds 303/324

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjjmm56, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Next week I'll be starting to mate my t5 to my 303. I've allready picked up a bell housing from tony and with that he also sent a pilot bushing. I'm going to run a 11 Astro van disk with a Howe hyd throw out bearing. I'm also using a 3 finger pressure plate. I'm looking for someone that's done this conversion that can give me some possible issues that need to be addressed. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

You may be the first, i put a 2004r behind my 303, I believe the only issue is the trans mount to the chassis?

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'll be doing this with my 324 Olds also but I'm using an ancient Speed Gems adapter/bellhousing and a conventional clutch fork. The flywheel is at the machine shop getting drilled for the Borg&Beck pattern so I can run either style pressure plate.
    You're on the right track, Tony is the man to walk you through this

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I hate to bother tony. He's always been helpful but I know he's a busy man. My 303 originally had a side shift lasalle on it. I'm making a bench stand so I can do setup before I install it in the truck.

5. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I might also add that the Ross racing bell housing is a work of art.

6. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I've gotten into this setup a little and have some info. First I'm using a non world class t5 from a s10. 1" 14 spline imput shaft, Ross bell adaptor and pilot bushing. I also picked up a 11" clutch disk. I'm in the process of just getting the spacing. The first thing I fo

7. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Sorry hit the wrong button. But I found that with the trans bolted the the splines needed to be lengthened by 3/8". But by doing this because of the shaft design you loose half of the spline engagement. So I will now make a new imput bushing and spacer for between the trans and bell. I'll lengthen them by 3/8".

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I had a bad experience with the Howe HTOB. The application was for a GM 4 Spd which I used on a non world class T5 and standard GM clutch much like your about to do. Shortly after getting the car on the road the clutch wouldn’t disengage. The next day it would, then it wouldn’t. I used a WillWood master cylinder that was sized for it also. I had to pull the body off (34’ sedan) to get access to change it out. I installed a new RAM HTOB from Speedway and never had a problem after that.

From my recollection the Howe unit didn’t extend quite as far as the RAM unit. My theory is that the Howe unit would over extend and flip the seals internally then over night it’d relieve pressure and be alright for the next day? I don’t work for RAM or Speedway just want to avoid a problem before it may occur. I’m just hoping that it was an isolated incident but ya never know.

9. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Another update after removing my imput shaft I found some of the gear teeth damaged. I replaced it with one from a jeep which was about .040 longer. Along with the increased length the input spud was shorter and the splines were longer. All I needed to do was cut down the shoulder of the imput bushing. I no longer need to space the trans out and I have 1/4 of free play for the disk to move.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good tech! Thanks for the update. It will help with swaps!

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool ...that's usefull info

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

If you can, post some pictures of what you are doing.......

13. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Will do.