Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical S10 Front Brakes on a 48 Fleetmaster.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JorgeFleet48, Sep 20, 2022.

1. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

Hello you all knuckle busters enthusiast, quick question,

Just picked up a 1992 S10 rear end for the 48 Fleetmaster, and I was wondering if it would be possible to go ahead and use the whole brake system out of the S10? front discs calipers, master cylinder.... etc.

or as always, has anyone done something similar? besides the standard kits out there.

thanks in advance

Jorge

2. junkman8888

junkman8888

Sure you can, but only if you graft in the entire S-10 sub-frame! (just joking, we don't do that kind of nonsense around here)

My recommendation is to check out the Stovebolt forums on the internet, there's lots of information on options when it comes to suspension upgrades.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subframe grafts are obsolete 80's tech from the days when we didn't have anything better to use but just don't fly in the real world now.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'd compare spindle from the S-10 to the spindle on the 48 Fleetmaster and see if they have any similarities in mounting. Might take a picture of each of them and post them. Its doubtful that they can be adapted easily, but need more info. Also, how does the S10 tread width compare to the Fleetmaster tread width. There is almost always a way to make things work but it may be easier to buy a readymade conversion for the front wheels and then use the rest of the components with that.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  6. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

On my Studebaker truck I used all the components, for a 75 manual disc/drum Camaro and the truck is a little lighter than the Camaro and the brakes work like they should. The only oddball piece was the brake pedal and I used a hanging one from Speedway.

JorgeFleet48 and Budget36 like this.
  7. NoelC

NoelC

Every now and again I read something and think, yea... I remember when I'd agree with that. But I don't have the luxury anymore to think so.

Aside from the speed of which the cash for clunker programs cleaned the countryside of dead 74 -78 Mustangs, Pinto, Volaries, Nova and Camaro clips, manufacturing and design change into unibody construction meant less transferable selection and an aftermarket parts to fill the void industry was born.

Time and place, I guess?

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  8. big bird

big bird

All of those were too old to qualify for "Cash for Clunkers".
    Price of scrap metal was high and a lot of older cars were "recycled".

gimpyshotrods and JorgeFleet48 like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More searching shows that the kits to bolt disk brakes on 41/48 Chevy car spindles use the 73/77 Camaro rotors and calipers. They are pretty inexpensive to buy new. but the kit isn't real cheap for just the brackets, bearing spacer and bolts.

JorgeFleet48 likes this.
  10. JorgeFleet48

JorgeFleet48

thanks a ton. all good info as always fellas.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Spindles on the late 40's Chev cars are closer to I beam axle spindles with kingpins. No way they'll be close to an S10. It will require a special custom mounting kit just to be able to use the calippers, and then who knows if the S10 rotors could be fitted in any way to the large old Chevy spindles.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I used this kit on my '46 Chevy coupe and it worked out perfect. Simple and easy. Bob