Register now to get rid of these ads!

S10 Borg Warner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyway Hauler, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Will an S10 Borg Warner T5 transmission from a four cylinder truck couple to a sbc? If so, would it hold up?

I'm asking because I can get one of these for free...but I don't want to waste my time if it isn't going to work.

This may be a stupid question, but any input would be appreciated.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I ran one behind a 235 stovebolt in my 53 with no trouble. It was great for highway cruising. If you hook up, something will give. It will live, in a lightweight car without posi. Even the Camaro /Mustang world class trans could only handle about 250 ft lbs.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417380

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

BW T-5 trannies came in essentially two varieties.....Non-world class (NWC) and World Class (WC - is stronger) which affects how much hp and/or torque they can safely absorb. Beyond that, they came in a wide variety of ratios, depending on the application for whcih they were intended. So, what I am saying is that an S10 T5 is either a NWC or a WC and is basically just as strong as any other T5 NWC or WC. The gear ratios may affect that a little, but not enough to worry about.

There is a website ' Britishv8.org ' that has an excellent list of all the T5 applications listed by variation number i.e. 1352-xxx (x's being numerals in the actual listing) along with whether it is NWC or WC and the ratios of all gears. Some are wide ratio, some are closer ratio and the OD ratio varies too. All the trans came with a tag listing it's model #.