Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical S10 blazer rear wiper motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wagontrainer, Dec 11, 2014.

1. wagontrainer

wagontrainer
    from louisiana

I am installing an 1990's S10 Blazer rear wiper motor in my 1950 chevy coupe and was wondering about which switch I should use and the hookup.There are 3 wires(orange,black/orange stripe and black on the motor.I am unsure about the wiring to switch.Any help would be appreciated.

2. Most rear wiper motors are single speed. You can test it on a battery, connect the solid black to negative terminal (ground), then try each of the remaining wires on positive. One of them will run the motor constantly the other will run it only long enough to take it back to the park position. The one that returns it to park should be wired to an accessory terminal that is hot with the ignition switch on. The one that runs it constantly should be wired from the same accessory terminal through an on-off switch.

3. wagontrainer

wagontrainer
    from louisiana

Sounds like the info I needed.I will give it a try this week and thanks a bunch

4. Not sure about rear wipers, but almost all front are set up to switch the negative: i.e. the positive hooks up to the motor to allow parking when you turn the switch 'off'. There is a cutoff switch on the gear that shuts the motor off when it is parked.

The only wiper I have worked on that was different was Citroen 2CV...

Cosmo

5. wagontrainer

wagontrainer
    from louisiana

So you are thinking i need to wire the cutoff switch to the ground wire?Can i just use a regular toggle switch?

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Here is the wiring listed for a 1988 Blazer rear wiper. It looks like a front wiper to me as it shows a 4 wire terminal and the ground is supplied through the case. In my recollection, most wiper motors have a ground strap on one of the rubber mounting bushings.

[​IMG]

7. wagontrainer

wagontrainer
    from louisiana

This is the one i will be hooking up.
    [​IMG]

8. wagontrainer

wagontrainer
    from louisiana

9. Yup, you have to have a ground strap for the electricity to return. But, it is far easier to switch the ground for the multiple speeds. The reason in part is that the return cam can easier cut the ground when the motor 'parks'. In other words, the motor is internally isolated, making this all possible.

Cosmo

10. wagontrainer

wagontrainer
    from louisiana

As far as i know this is a single speed motor.Would this also need to be switched through the ground.I did a test like 38fordpickup suggested and it worked as he described.

11. It depends. Front wipers, yes, rear, not so sure.
    And I know it sounds a but kooky, but I must have spent an entire day trying to wire up a self-parking (usual factory stuff) motor before I got out the wiring diagrams and discovered this.

COsmo