Register now to get rid of these ads!

S.L.O. area...rentals...garage/warehouse/shop?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasel, Sep 16, 2007.

1. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Hey I'm considering a job opp. in S.L.O. and I'm wondering what renting is like over there. Ideally I'd like to find a shop/small warehouse that I could do living quarters in, house my cars and have room for side jobs.
    Anything within reasonable distance of the SLO airport? I'm planning on heading over on the 29th, two weeks from now to talk to the guy and if there's anything you guys know of for a clean cut, greasemonkey bachelor addicted to old cars and diesel trucks, I'd really appreciate a heads up! I'm planning on being in town all weekend 28th-30th, visiting some friends so if there's anything I should take a look at I'd like to do it that weekend if possible.

2. There's a few guys on here from SLO, send Cruiser on here a PM, he's lived in SLO for many, many years & knows the right people...

3. slo60

slo60

im from slo--going to cal poly-- housing this year is interesting ... there are lots of students looking, and housing seems to be expensive, and almost unavailible(at least to us...) and this is kind of an odd time to be looking, but best of luck, and let me know if i can help you with anything...

keith

4. LIMEY

LIMEY

Give Dennis Allen a call he's in real Estate, tell him you got his number from Kev who bought his Apache a few yrs back.

He knows the area & more than likely knows what's available.

805-473-7500

Kev.

5. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Good luck man.... I have lived near SLO for my whole life.. Housing is expensive, shop space is expensive, everything is expensive. It is a nice place to live though.. I grew up in Grover Beach and now live in Los Osos. My shop is in Morro Bay. Commercial space goes for $2.00 a square foot and up.. They have zoning rules against living space in commercial space... There is just not that much commercial/industrial space available..The EPA keeps tabs on every shop that opens. Paint and Body suppliers are required to submit your info to the EPA on what you buy... When they came by the shop they knew exactly what I had purchased.... etc.. Lots of college kids in town right now looking for housing... Your best best would be like Nipomo or North County to find somewhere to live and work out of.... You could swing by the shop while you are in town... Morro Bay is only 10 miles from SLO..Jason.

6. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I rented in slo for six years (94-00) and loved it. You can not beat the area. I was lucky and had a house that was downtown. We payed around 1100 for a three bedroom house.

Renting is odd in SLO right now. The rent is high because cal poly does not have enough housing. But they are building lots of housing I hear which could really effect the renting market.

As far as buying that area is really high.

Now onto a business. I do not know what a shop rent would be. I do know that the local government is pretty strict. Just keep that in mind. I remember hearing about when Madonna (old man not the singer) wanted to put in the new walmarts/big stores and the city was fighting him. He threatened to put in the stinkyest pig farm possible if they did not approve it because it was zoned for ag.

good luck on the shop.

7. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

dang, I was wondering if the comm/residential zoning would be a problem. that's a city thing, right, not county? I'm not really looking for a business/commercial site, more of a bachelor/gearhead place to live with room to work on my cars, maybe other stuff on the side now and then, technically not a business...if I had enough demand to be full time I'd just get a shop only and rent an appt or room in a house, I guess.

I'm kinda spoiled here in the valley since we have a TON of county(non-city), it's amazing how many fewer hoops you have to jump through just being out of city.

8. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Everything is regulated around here... In SLO there is a guy named Dan that has about 12 people camping on his property right next to a very busy road. He is doing it to a make a point to the city and county. He was trying to open a state sponsored halfway house and they wouldn't let him.. Now he has bunk beds and a fire pit in a circle with the halfway guys living out in the open.. It took me 8 months to find a shop that was affordable..People with rentals know that they can get multiple students paying high rent each into their houses.. No good rent deals in slo,,, Jason.