Register now to get rid of these ads!

?'s About Importing a Car into Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toner283, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Toner283

Toner283

I am working on a deal to buy a 59 Chev that is complete but totally disassembled. I have some questions about bringing it home. I have spent a couple of hours using the search & reading/learning here & on a couple of other forums but I have some specific questions that I have not found clear answers for.

1. I have seen mention of non title states. The car I am interested in is in Kentucky & the seller does not have a title/ownership but he is willing to give me a notarized bill of sale. Does anyone know if KY is considered a non title state?

2. For the guys who have brought stuff back already - which border crossing is better than the others or which one(s) should I avoid? I am headed south out of Ontario and I do not have a preference to where I cross.

3. Does the border consider the car to be parts even though it is complete but fully disassembled? The engine/trans are with the car but not IN the car.

I know about the RIV rules, the 72 hour paperwork rule & I do have a passport to be able to cross. I have brought back small parts before but never anything even close to a whole car. I have no intentions of lying to anyone at the border so I should have no problems with that. just looking for some specific advice and information for my situation.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips you guys are able to give me.

I am also going to contact the border with some questions tomorrow as well.

2. elvi411

elvi411

I just drove to the border, with the car on a trailer.
    The wannabe cops did all the paper work for me and they were super cool!!

3. Toner283

Toner283

Bump for the day crowd.

4. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You NEED ro leave a copy of the title, registration or the notorized document at US customs border crossing that you will be using. If you use Lewiston you will have to cross between 8-5 monday to friday. The other crossings anytime. when you cross you stop at US customs with the original document and they will stamp O.K. for importation. Then you stop at Canada Customs sounds like you know better but DO NOT PLAY games with bill of sale, have a copy of your form of payment. Dont be offended if they treat you like a Criminal, they took lessons from US Customs and treat everyone the same way. If you bring it over as parts you will not be able to register it in Ontario. You will have to pay the GST on the spot after they convert the money to Canadian total. (Nice Eh!). when you register it in Ontario you will then pay the PST. Good Luck, Larry

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010

5. I wondered if they would flag the vehicle as "salvage" and not allow it to be titled, registered and stickered in Canada if you told them it was only for parts. Might help if you went down early and dropped the engine and trans into the car and bolted the doors, fenders, etc back onto the car, that would also make transporting it easier too I would think. Rent a cherry picker when you get down there, and (apparently) do NOT tell customs that it is only for parts when you bring it across.

Good luck

scruff likes this.