Register now to get rid of these ads!

s-10 trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jervin, Jul 25, 2009.

1. jervin

jervin

I found a 98 s-10 5 speed out of a 4 cylinder in the paper- will this bolt up to a sbc? the part numbers are different if you run them. but i did not know if this maybe just mounting or linkage difference? Any info would be helpful thanx

2. 6berry

6berry

its not a t5 if thats what your asking but it may work. t5's only came in 1995 and older s10's

3. mink

mink
    from CT

What you want to search for is a late 1980's T5 from either a s10 or Camaro or i beleve a Firebird will work to . They can be had for 50 to 500. I dont beleive a 98 will bolt on to a sbc

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

The short answer is no. The bellhousing isn't removable, and the 4 cylinder S10 doesn't share a bellhousing mounting pattern with the sbC.

Bob

5. I had similar T-5 questions but wanted to use one on our flathead and started digging around for info. Don't forget the two types of T-5s: the first ones called "Non World Class" from 4 and six cylinder cars and the later "World Class" from V-8s. I picked up two "Non World Class" T5's from four and six cylinder S-10's. I'm thinking the one from the V-6 would have a better gear ratio for the flathead V-8 we have in the roadster. We got an aluminum adapter to mate it to the Ford bellhousing. There are some great threads on the HAMB about those and ya can do a google search too.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You can't judge the ratio by application alone - you need to decipher the tags. Check the tech link in my sig - one of the links has the common tags and ratios.