Register now to get rid of these ads!

S-10 T-5 to SW speedo question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty Dug, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I'm looking for a speedometer cable for the T-5 and Stewart Warner speedometer in the Model A roadster I'm building. What have you guys used? I see Speedway sells one but are there other options? Also, what have you done as far as the gear reducer on the original S-10 Application. I don't have room to keep it and plan to run the speedometer cable directly into the transmission. Will there be any adverse issues with that? How will the speedometer read with 30" rear tires and 3.40 gears? Thanks, any help would be great.

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I use the Lokar cable as you can adjust the length.You will need to get your trans speedo geared correctly for the rear gear and tire combo you are running to get close.

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thank you, anyone else????

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

There isn't anyone with more information? I thought this was the HAMB?

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Look for a local speedometer shop, if you give them the length of cable and housing you need they should be able to make it for you. The gear ratio adapter can be put inline if needed. Get the speedometer up and running then find out how far off it is, then transmissinon gear can be changed to calibrate the speedo. If you need help with either pm me or call.

6. cooger

cooger

got a t5 w/ reducer in my 55 using a 3:56 gear. Can't be sure (friend gave me the reducer, don't know the ratio) but I think its fairly close to being right. No big deal on the reducer, just a short length of cable with a "knot" on it. BTW, if you use different speedo gear in the t5, a 22 tooth is about the biggest you can go on the early tailshaft housing. I tried the 25 tooth to slow it down and that gear was too big to fit into the tailshaft. I have a coupe with the SW speedo and 700r4, I used a stock GM cable-fittings were the same.
    cooger