Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ryan's Falcon - Young Gun's Straight Axle Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Oct 28, 2017.

1. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Subscribed !!! Your making my job easy .. I’m putting a 460 in a ‘64 Comet

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Rye-guy and loudbang like this.
  2. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0658.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG Probably one of the biggest hurdles has now been passed, the motor is finally in! May only come out once more to finish painting and cleaning up the engine bay.
    The transmission is also mocked up in place so now it just needs to be put back together.
    To mount everything we used a mid plate from I believe Baer or maybe competition engineering, I can't remember, and used side mounts from speedway motors.
    Now we need to figure out how to make an air filter fit because it does not fit on top of the carb with the set back we put in.

enloe, Hank37, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see a young gun get the bug ! Nice work !

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Big engine check.....small car check.
    What's not to like. ;)

5. loudbang

loudbang

AND FORD Power :)

6. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Quick question ... for the motor setback which cylinder is above the straight axle ? I’m getting ready to start my build and that’s one thing I wasn’t sure about ..thanks

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Honestly I'm not sure, I'd have to look again, but we didn't measure from there, all we did was just 4 inches from the original firewall but it's really all personal preference, the 4 inches gives us enough room in front to go with almost any size of radiator as well as electric fans

8. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

Oh and also just make sure you don't go so far back that the headers won't have somewhere to go

enloe, mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Ok cool ... Thanks !

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. RmK57

RmK57

Looks good! Now you can really appreciate having the distributor up front with that kind of engine set back.

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Saxxon

Saxxon

I can sooo relate to that. My sbc is shoved into the firewall and it's a serious pain in the butt to adjust and even service. Looked at a front drive more than once or twice

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  12. Ghost28

Ghost28

1. Gotta follow this build. Thanks

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

I also forgot to mention we lowered the engine as much as we could, and the oil pan will be changed out for a rear sump oil pan or else the steering will hit it as well as possibly the axle when the springs compress, jegs sells a kit to put these motors in mustangs and it's the rear sump pan, dipstick and oil pump I believe, all you need to buy extra is a rear sump oil pickup

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Speedy agrees he wants more FOMOCO powered cars, a more target rich environment. :D speedy.jpg

15. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Nice job guys. Your falcon is coming along a little faster than ours

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0707.JPG IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0712.JPG Got the steering box put in but may need to adjust it's position, also had to flip the parts that connected the tie rod to the spindles because when we had them up, they caused clearance issues.
    Also got the drivers side header mocked up, these things are going to be loud, used a hedmen headers big block Chevy header kit with ford flanges, it's 2 1/8 pipe.

Attached Files:

cktasto, 6sally6, enloe and 7 others like this.
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

That's looking great. You guys got a lot done this weekend. I'm pretty sure that back pipe took you guys 2 or 3 hours alone

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. sc5080

sc5080

Headers look great. Its coming along well.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

We haven't gotten much done in the last few weeks because we ran out of pipe for the other side of the headers and then got the wrong size...
    But we got a tunnel made, custom driveshaft hoop that also acts as the back tranny mount that connects to the subframe connectors.
    Mocked up the electric water pump as well, went with one from CVF racing, as well as got their electric water pump and alternator bracket kit, makes everything fit well and easy to install.
    Also got a rear sump oil pan put on (it's a whole kit from jegs, it's actually made to fit a 429/460 into a mustang) and got the fuel cell in.
    It's a 12 gallon fuel cell and what we did is took the stock tank and cut the top off and set the fuel cell in that, makes it look factory from the outside, even considering using the stock filler for it so I don't even have to open the trunk

Attached Files:

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like good progress.
    Any reason you didn't go with a pan with more oil control?
    I do know cost always has a lot to with a build. ;)

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Engine Set Back: 10% max of wheelbase measured from center of mounted front axle back to #1 spark plug center line..So a 105" wheelbase would be a 10.5" measurement from axle to spark plug max..

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Gammz like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I was wondering same thing myself as far as oil control if you plan on racing the car . Fine for street cruising. Could use more capacity for racing at least.
    Nice job on the headers and the rest of the car. I really like Falcon's.

chryslerfan55 and Gammz like this.
  24. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

For the oil pan, the reason I went with this one is one because it came as a whole kit, pan, pickup, dipstick. And secondly was definitely cost, but also the motor is a pretty stock with very mild upgrades done to it. It was originally supposed to be put in a street car before I picked it up. So really it's a street motor, I don't need the big expensive race oil pans right now.
    In the future I plan to do a stroker kit and at that point I will most likely upgrade the pan.
    But for right now this will do just fine

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think you will be surprised how hard it will launch.

powrshftr, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Nice thinking hiding the fuel cell.

chryslerfan55 and Rye-guy like this.
  27. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

We're actually going to be putting 3.50 gears in the rear end but with a lower 1st and 2nd gear in the transmission so that it'll launch more like 3.73 or 4.10, just because we don't know yet what mph it will run and don't want to over rev the engine

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of the C6 s setting on the bench now waiting on the low drag gear set now.
    Its going behind a 467 inch FE in a 67 Galaxie and hope to gear it so it goes through the traps around 6200 to 6500 rpm.

powrshftr, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Rye-guy

Rye-guy

IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0750.JPG Big news! It runs! Got the headers finished and fired it up quickly, getting closer and closer everyday
    Also tried to get the new alternator to fit, trying to get a Chevy alternator onto a ford motor with brackets made for a ford is not easy.
    First I had to make the bolt holes a lot bigger and next grind down the back of one of the holes on the back of the alternator because it hits the block.

P.s. I tried to upload a video of the engine running but it would not upload

30. Saxxon

Saxxon

Outstanding !!
    Headers look awesome. First fire is always a milestone you look forward to.

enloe, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.